Sight Picture Technique [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Sight Picture Technique

SlowIsSmoothIsFast
02-25-2010, 01:55
When I make the front sight clear in my vision, the target is usually much too blurry. I'm just starting to learn and get serious about proper technique. Will my eyes learn to adjust for a better sight picture? I used to shoot with one eye closed and focus on the target. Now I'm using both open and crystal clear front sight. What do you guys do?

Also, where do you guys put your shooting hand thumb on the Glock? I find I can't point it at the target or I'll be on the slide lock, so I just let it rest, sort of pointing up and out.

SlowIsSmoothIsFast
02-25-2010, 02:05
I also wanted to ask where your eyes are focused between shots. After a shot my focus goes back to the target, and then when the sights come back down close enough, I switch focus back to the front sight. By this time the trigger travel is taken up again and the sight picture jst needs to be fine tuned for the next shot. Is this good?

David Armstrong
02-25-2010, 11:44
IME: For precise target shooting the standard rule is clear front sight, fuzzy target. For up-close personal fighting, the reverse seems to work out better. Your eyes naturally want to focus on the threat, so the sights becomes less clear. As time and distance change the picture that works best also changes.

As for the thumb, I like to lock mine down, but different folks find different methods work best for them.. Some shoot thumbs pointing forward, some use a thumb up.

jlavely
02-25-2010, 12:33
My thumb stays on the glock. I like to think it helps with combat follow-up shots because you can point your thumbs back forward for a point and shoot technique. If you want visuals, go youtube Todd Jarret Pistol Shooting Techniques. There is a lot to learn from that man's youtube vids.

NDC187
02-27-2010, 01:50
I used to index shooting hand thumb forward on top of the weak hand thumb that is also pointing forward.

I found my grip is more natural if i relax my shooting hand thumb and index weak hand thumb along slide (along barrel axis) pointing toward target. I know it sounds kind of weird but you don't notice the slide cycling while weak thumb is indexing along it.

saspic
03-04-2010, 23:13
3rd+ generation GLOCKS have a thumb rest on each side. I lay my thumb across this rest, and it ends up just above the magazine release.
It's a good thing I don't like oversized mag releases, because I would probably activate them under recoil for an unplanned "speed unload".:embarassed:

David Armstrong seems right on with the sight picture information.

Sometimes I practice aiming at things around my living room using my index finger as a "front sight". The finger points upwards like the sight, not forward like a barrel. I focus on the finger, not the target. I suppose it would be better with one of my airguns or something, but this is convenient and I do it all the time.

PhoneCop
03-05-2010, 13:56
When I make the front sight clear in my vision, the target is usually much too blurry. I'm just starting to learn and get serious about proper technique. Will my eyes learn to adjust for a better sight picture?

No, it will be blurry, that's just the facts. Try not to let the blurry target bother you. A crisp front sight properly placed in the rear sight is what you want.

I used to shoot with one eye closed and focus on the target. Now I'm using both open and crystal clear front sight. What do you guys do?

I am still a one eye guy.

Also, where do you guys put your shooting hand thumb on the Glock? I find I can't point it at the target or I'll be on the slide lock, so I just let it rest, sort of pointing up and out.

If this is working for you (not causing errors), then roll with it. Brian Enos doesn't tough the gun with his thumbs, some place it gently against the slide or frame (like I do). I have a light callus from the slide rubbing against the inside of my stronghand thumb. So may say don't with the argument of what it may do, but the proof is in the pudding of what it DOES do for you.

PhoneCop
03-05-2010, 13:57
I also wanted to ask where your eyes are focused between shots. After a shot my focus goes back to the target, and then when the sights come back down close enough, I switch focus back to the front sight. By this time the trigger travel is taken up again and the sight picture jst needs to be fine tuned for the next shot. Is this good?

Prolly not so good. You should be focusing on your front sight as it moves during the recoil. You track it.

Deaf Smith
03-05-2010, 19:14
At close range, as long as you can see some relation of the sights to the target, then that will be fine.

The longer the range, the more precise and focused on the sights you must be. But at 5 yards, and the target the size of a soccer ball (heart/lungs) then a rather casual relationship is all that is required. Just make sure the 'fuzzy' front sight is on where you want to hit.

Deaf

stgha
03-07-2010, 20:19
Prolly not so good. You should be focusing on your front sight as it moves during the recoil. You track it.

Agreed, as you get better you should be able to "call your shot". In other words, have a good Idea where the round is going to impact when the shot breaks.
If you are shifting your focus back to the target you are prob looking to see where the impact was.....

Steve