Colorado School of Trades? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Colorado School of Trades?

itsgottabeapit
02-25-2010, 14:26
Has anyone here been to the Colorado school of Trades for their gunsmith course? What can you tell me about it? I'm planning on enrolling spring time next year. Any info would be awesome.

Anybody that hasn't been and would like to give input that could be helpful too. What have you heard about the school? Know anyone that's been?

boyscoutG36
02-25-2010, 14:32
I'm hoping to go within a few years, I'm a police armorer and in LE circles it is respected. Many of the full time Dept. gunsmiths in the CO attended the School of Trades.

schild
02-25-2010, 14:33
A gunsmith that built a .45 for me 15+ years ago went to school there, after he had been in business for several years they hired him back to be a teacher.
I think his last name was Nolan or Noland. That's all I got!

boyscoutG36
02-25-2010, 14:36
Also, Hans Vang of VangComp fame is a graduate of the CST.

itsgottabeapit
02-25-2010, 15:32
Thanks guys. That makes me feel good. It's a big move for me to go to the school. I live in Houston, my wife will have to transfer her job, etc. I'll be 27 this year and I've finally decided after years of doing other things to do what I've always really wanted to.

boyscoutG36
02-26-2010, 00:58
Keep in mind that Trinidad State has a very good gunsmithing program as well. Check them out if you are moving from out of state, the cost of living is a little lower down there too.

itsgottabeapit
02-26-2010, 06:02
Keep in mind that Trinidad State has a very good gunsmithing program as well. Check them out if you are moving from out of state, the cost of living is a little lower down there too.

To be honest Trinidad's school was my first choice especially with Brownells recent donation and the new advanced course that adds a year. We looked at location with Colorado School of Trade being so close to Denver my wife will be able to transfer to a branch there. There's nothing to transfer to near Trinidad State.

Even thought about the school in Arizona since all of the teachers are owners of some kind of gun business. I worked in Arizona for a couple of months 1 1/2 years ago, really liked it but the crime rate is much higher and there's nothing for my wife to transfer to there either. Hopefully everything works out with Colorado School of Trades, since the school only offers 2 things I think it should be pretty darn good.

tjpet
03-07-2010, 11:31
There was a good article in a gun rag last year about CST. The author was a graduate and stressed the importance of having a backround in machine work. Sounded as if a person who enrolled as a blank slate in the program would find it very tough sledding - definitely doable but not the lark a lot of folks imagine.

cwshootersupply
03-10-2010, 23:14

I agree Graduated 1984

skyugo
03-20-2010, 12:30
To be honest Trinidad's school was my first choice especially with Brownells recent donation and the new advanced course that adds a year. We looked at location with Colorado School of Trade being so close to Denver my wife will be able to transfer to a branch there. There's nothing to transfer to near Trinidad State.

Even thought about the school in Arizona since all of the teachers are owners of some kind of gun business. I worked in Arizona for a couple of months 1 1/2 years ago, really liked it but the crime rate is much higher and there's nothing for my wife to transfer to there either. Hopefully everything works out with Colorado School of Trades, since the school only offers 2 things I think it should be pretty darn good.

you guys are gonna love colorado. just don't tell everyone that it's sunny and nice all the time. people seem to think it's nothing but snow. if they knew the truth there'd be no end to the folks moving here :rofl:

mccallisterbrian
03-25-2010, 10:25
i graduated from CST in 1995. Back then the school was the top in the field. Now days it has gone down hill from what i hear from friends who are still in the area. I called them a month ago to ask them some questions and the person i talked to had no clue what I was asking about. They dont seam to be as knowledgeable as they once were. I guess they do more book work now than what we did. we spent very little time in the class room . What we did was all hands on training.

Get some education on welding and machine work before you go it will help you do better in these areas. If i had to do it over again I would still go to CST. Dont get me wrong it is still one of the best you can find. You will get out of it what you put into it. Start getting reference books now it will help you in the long run when you get there.