Getting a gas block changed out, and other questions. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Getting a gas block changed out, and other questions.

NeverMore1701
02-25-2010, 15:49
So, I like my BCM 16" middy so much that when I ran across this dude selling one, unfired, for dirt cheap, I couldn't help myself but to snatch it up. The reason he was ditching it was, basically, that he's a moron (if you're reading this, sorry buddy, but you are). His sad attempt to shave down the FSB to put a rail over it resulted in the ugliest abortion of a GB that I've ever seen. I can't even describe how bad it is, possibly even to the point of being unsafe.

So, to my question(s). Where can I send this thing to get a new FSB or GB put on it? The only local gunsmith is in Gander Mountain, and I'd rather toss my upper into a cement mixer for free than pay him to jack it up. I'm in an appartment with no tools, no space, and no way to rig up a vice and all that jazz, much as I'd like to.

Any idea if BCM would fix it up for me, and if so, what they would charge?

Also lookin' at one of the DD Lite rails, but they're a little more complicated than the Troy type 2 piece that you just cut the delta ring off and clamp it on, right? Gotta mess with the barrel nut and stuff with 'em? If so, who puts stuff like that on, and about what might they charge?

I'm not usually one to take on a project that I can't manage by myself, but for the price, I just couldn't say no.

cyrsequipment
02-25-2010, 15:58
I would say send it to me... but given my luck with ARs recently... you'd better not.

TimP
02-25-2010, 17:57
knock the old one off, and put on a simple clamp on GB on there.

NeverMore1701
02-25-2010, 17:59
Not sure about getting the FH off without a block and vice, heard BCM has them on pretty good.

faawrenchbndr
02-25-2010, 18:05
knock the old one off, and put on a simple clamp on GB on there.

This,....

Also keep in mind that the FSB is drilled and pinned. Very seldom can you just
install another pinned on FSB and have the holes align properly. Get a clamp on many great manufacturers.

NeverMore1701
02-25-2010, 18:30
I have an extra that Troy LPGB that they sent with one of my rails that I'd use. Guess I should pick up a barrel wrench and a couple of punches. What's a good size for the FSB pins?

Jon_R
02-25-2010, 18:31
The one in the middle is my handy work. I was not sure what else to do with it. It is a barrel from during the ban. The flash hider / muzzle break won't come off and the front sight post was crooked (not by me). Took a hacksaw cut off the top half of the FS and added an e-otech. Any other recommendations?

http://i436.photobucket.com/albums/qq85/rhoades-jon/IMG_8759.jpg

Constructor
02-25-2010, 19:01
Adco.

furioso2112
02-25-2010, 19:53
Yeah...agreed on the knock-it-off and replace with a clamp-on.

Do you have pix? Consider ordering a new gas tube, too, depending on how mangled it is. I imagine if you are concerned about safety, that's the issue - possibly having cut into the gas tube or the route where the gas goes through the FSB to the tube. Considering the low cost of a gas tube, it's a no-brainer. To have someone else do it means sending them the upper, paying, waiting. Unnecessary. So long as he didn't compromise the barrel, it shouldn't be any problem at all.

To remove the pins, just use the biggest punch that is smaller than the small side of the pin. If you haven't done it before...IIRC, BCM uses tapered pins - they are ever so slightly smaller on one side of the block/base (often the left side of the gun, if you had it shouldered). Drive them out from this side. The Bushmaster I did this to took one or two good whacks, then essentially fell out. Since BM doesn't finish the barrel under the sight bases and the replacement I installed didn't match up quite right, I had to Oxpho-Blu the barrel where it was unfinished. A foolproof thing to do, really. I don't recall the chart, but I suppose BCM finishes their barrels pre-assembly, so you might not have to do this. Unless, of course, you wanted to really be retentive - in that case, check the actual drilled part of the barrel and make sure that is parked/coated. If not, put some blue in the holes prior to installing the new block. With these steps (removing, blue-ing, replacing black and tube), you'll have an as-good-as-new setup.

ETA: I you have to get the flash hider off to remove the FSB, just get the proper size open-end wrench (1/2"? - someone will correct me if that's wrong - and some multi-tools will work, but not the DPMS one, as it is too thick to get on the FH - the space b/t the crush washer and main body of FH isn't great enough). I had to strike mine a few times with a hammer during re-install (the wrench, that is - and it doesn't need so much force that I worried about using a block to preserve the integrity of the upper receiver, it was just the way I could get a tiny bit of movement (to properly index the compensator/FH) considering my between-the-legs hold), but I was able to do it holding the upper between my legs. Also had to do this when I installed a different compensator on my BCM barrel. MAKE SURE you get a NEW crush washer!!! This is essential. And, to save a headache or looking it up, look at which way the taper on the crush washer is oriented before you take it off - there is one right way and one wrong way. A crush washer is about 2 cents, IIRC.

This might seem like a lot, but I just wanted to be thorough. It's really a rather simple operation. Two pins out, FH off, old block off, pull out the old gas tube; (maybe some bluing), new gas tube in, new block on, FH back on.

Regarding rails - look up the DD Omega rails - they have a great reputation for ease of installation (NO gunsmithing required - don't even have to cut the Delta ring - are rock-solid, adjustable for cant, and have a little piece that extends back into your upper reciever for a very clean look, as if the entire rail is one piece all the way back across the upper. BCM and Brownell's both had them on sale for $99 a month or so ago - look for a deal. I think Spike's Tactical might have had a very good price on them recently, too. Anyway, at least look up a thread or two on them. I have only read good things about them, and I like mine very well. if you get a lo-profile gas block, you could even use a longer rail - 9" or 12" if that's your cup of tea, then you could extend your bi-pod mounting point and increase your sight radius. I have a 12" DD Lite rail on a BCM SS 16" upper - I like the look a lot, and, more importantly, the functionality, even better.

2nd edit - just saw your previous post. Yeah - low profile gas block - good choice, especially because you have it on hand (not to mention it's a Troy). You don't need a barrel wrench - that's for getting the barrel off. No need for that unless you are installing a FF rail that requires barrel removal, but then you'd likely need the vice and all, and probably a torque-wrench for re-install...getting into the issues you wanted to avoid.

NeverMore1701
02-25-2010, 19:59
I guess I'll give removing the FH a try, and go from there if it comes off. Don't know if I want to try to get some money out of this upper to go toward my upcoming SBR project or what.

NeverMore1701
02-25-2010, 20:41
Got the FH off. Need to hit HD tomorrow and grab a punch. Think they'd look at me funny if I brought the upper with me to make sure I got the right size?

vettely
02-27-2010, 16:15
Got the FH off. Need to hit HD tomorrow and grab a punch. Think they'd look at me funny if I brought the upper with me to make sure I got the right size?
I used a drill bit as a punch for the FSB as the pins are not usually that hard to remove. Just wear safety glasses.

helidonna
02-27-2010, 19:55
Here is a great how to video for installing a Troy industries free float system. Do not be intimadated the only tools needed are a couple of punches and a hammer, for the gas block change out. I would go with one of their low profile gas blocks that clamp on. If you are thinking of a rail system free floating is the only way to go IMHO, watch entire video and see how easy it really is to do yourself. :wow:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1c7Yqn2daXQ

NeverMore1701
02-27-2010, 20:00
I've been installing Troy rails for years. Very easy to install and supremely sturdy, if a bit heavier than some.

I'm just used to having a garage or shop for my tools, not being stuck in an apartment with nothing :crying:

helidonna
02-27-2010, 20:09
Good luck on your venture and +1 on the troy thing.

furioso2112
02-27-2010, 20:58
Yes - they might look at you funny. So long as they don't make some 'funny' calls to the police, might not be a problem, but I would recommend against taking it with you, at least in most locations.

That said, I did take an empty LWD Glock slide in to HD with me once, looking for some part or tool I can't recall right now, and when a clerk asked about what is was for, I told him a gun slide. He asked some questions and talked about his shooting experience, I showed him the slide, he was rather interested in it and checked it out. No weirdness or poor reactions at all. Different animals, though, an empty slide and an AR upper. I have a concealed pistol license, too - that might have made the situation better or worse depending on the response. But it's probably safe to say that most people who might make a stink about it could see a person handling an empty slide and not even be certain what it was. But an AR upper screams 'gun' alot louder than an empty, pocketable slide. At least call first. Maybe just take a paper etching of the pins and go small, or as another poster said, use a drill bit or some other item (a spaghetti noodle, pencil lead, etc.), compare it for size and take that with you. I've never heard of problems with people carrying spaghetti noodles around.

NeverMore1701
02-28-2010, 17:27
Ok, soaked in WD40 for almost 24 hours, got a set of 3/32" punches, set it up on a block of wood, got out the BFH... and broke all three punches. Crap. Any more ideas?

furioso2112
02-28-2010, 19:46
Not to state the obvious, but are you sure you're punching the right direction? Most of those are tapered, and just need a start to pop out. Surprising it's that difficult is all - sounds like you have experience doing his type of thing, so not second-guessing you, just a thought.

NeverMore1701
02-28-2010, 20:04
Be honest, the two things I've never done are removing a GB/FSB and a Barrel Nut. But yeah, I'm hittin' the small end of the pins (left side when shouldered).

mvician
02-28-2010, 21:22
Put it on something SOLID. That "block of wood" is absorbing the blow.

And since you are not obviously going to save this chopped up front sight, get the dremel out :supergrin:

NeverMore1701
02-28-2010, 21:25
Block of wood = 4x4 solid oak post. Pretty damn sturdy. Gonna heat it up tomorrow, last thing I can think of.

HK MP5 Cop
03-01-2010, 07:27
The FSB pins are tapered and will only come out if driven out from the correct direction. With the muzzle pointed away from you and the and the front sight base pointing up, drive the pins out from left to the right. Do not apply Heat!!!!
Hope this helps,
Clif

NeverMore1701
03-01-2010, 09:00
Do not apply Heat!!!!
Hope this helps,
Clif

Why not?

HK MP5 Cop
03-01-2010, 09:29
You could cause discoloring of your finish. The only reason to apply heat would be to remove the flashider if someone use red or black locktite on it.
Clif

KDawg0007
03-01-2010, 09:36
Everything will expand.

faawrenchbndr
03-01-2010, 09:46
Why not?

I have a spare Dremel you can borrow.
I only ask that you pay postage and return it when you are finished.

jdm0506
03-02-2010, 15:13
3/32 sounds a little on the small side. I'd get a slightly larger, tapered punch. You just need something strong to get the taper pin started out of the gas block. I picked one up at Sears for like $2 (one of their crappy off brands that are bulk packed in a cardboard box). Try backing the FSB with a rubber mat. I used a rubber soled sandal and it worked loose on the 3rd hit. Or maybe it was the other 200 hits prior to that using the anvil on my vise to back it that loosened it. ;) Yeah, I'm a dumbass, but I finally got it figured out.

NeverMore1701
03-02-2010, 17:06
I have a spare Dremel you can borrow.
I only ask that you pay postage and return it when you are finished.

That is a very generous offer, and if the different kind of punch I got today doesn't do the trick, I just may take you up on it.

faawrenchbndr
03-02-2010, 17:17
That is a very generous offer, and if the different kind of punch I got today doesn't do the trick, I just may take you up on it.

Just let me know,...pm or e-mail.

NeverMore1701
03-08-2010, 21:01
Well ran across a Dremmel on sale and snatched it up. Between it, a drill bit, and liberal application of the BFH, I got the damn butchered FSB off. Was a bit of a pain to get the Troy low profile GB on, but not too bad. All fixed up, and have a line on selling the other upper. Hopefully all the pain and annoyance will be worth it, could use the extra money for other projects :supergrin:

crazymoose
03-08-2010, 21:04
The one in the middle is my handy work. I was not sure what else to do with it. It is a barrel from during the ban. The flash hider / muzzle break won't come off and the front sight post was crooked (not by me). Took a hacksaw cut off the top half of the FS and added an e-otech. Any other recommendations?

http://i436.photobucket.com/albums/qq85/rhoades-jon/IMG_8759.jpg

If it were my gun, I'd send it to ADCO to have a front sight post installed in the rifle position. That way, you get a rifle-length sight radius, and you can put rifle-length handguards on there. Your gas block just sits under the handguards. Install a rear sight, and you're good to go.