What's the max you'd pay for a new HK45? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What's the max you'd pay for a new HK45?

Big_Grumpy
02-25-2010, 16:06
I found a dealer who will probably work with me to get to me for $1k. Seems fair, but I was wondering how low I could push him. I'm sooooooooo tempted to take a leap off the deep and and buy one of these bad boys.

The angel on my right shoulder says, "You don't need it! You'll be happy enough with an M&P45!! Buy more ammo with the money you'll save! Buy American!" :patriot:

The devil on my left shoulder says, "Forget that piece o' crap and get yourself a REAL shooter! It's WORTH IT!!! DO IT!!! DO IT!!!" :devildance:

Quite the price difference... what to do...

tx787
02-25-2010, 16:15
The HK45 is made in America, same as the M&P. Both are most likely made from parts sourced from other countries, the HK probably mostly Germany, HK is headquartered in Germany whereas S&W in headquartered in the US so the M&P is more American in the sense that the profit goes to the US company, but both are made by American workers.

There's a reason why the HK costs more, it's somewhat analogous to why a BMW costs more than a Dodge.

curriek
02-25-2010, 16:20
I got mine "used" for $825 from a dealer. Previous owner had shot 50rds through it and didn't like it. No signs of wear. The most I would pay for it brand new would be $900. They are great guns... but not worth $1000. The M&P45 is still a quality gun and I liked mine.

JBnTX
02-25-2010, 16:57
A thousand would be my limit.
They can be found NIB for less.

Listen to the devil on your left shoulder.
He knows what he's talking about.

Big_Grumpy
02-25-2010, 17:02
There's a reason why the HK costs more, it's somewhat analogous to why a BMW costs more than a Dodge.

Interesting analogy... and it just so happens I had a 2001 Concorde and the engine blew up on it.... (BTW, NEVER get a Mopar with a 2.7 liter in it.)

Anyway... $900... Well... I could try. Worst thing he could say is "no", right? Are we talking shipped and taxed?

jayzazueta
02-25-2010, 17:19
my dealer was gonna get it for me at 900 ish because his cost was 860 or so.... he sells low to local LE but normal price would be around 1k - 1k50

raven11
02-25-2010, 17:51
Interesting analogy... and it just so happens I had a 2001 Concorde and the engine blew up on it.... (BTW, NEVER get a Mopar with a 2.7 liter in it.)

Anyway... $900... Well... I could try. Worst thing he could say is "no", right? Are we talking shipped and taxed?
I know CDNN were charging $850.00 adding in shipping cost and FFL fees you'd still be around $900 you'd just be saving on sales tax

tx787
02-25-2010, 18:45
My three local stores had them for $1,000; $1,003; and $1,085 so I think anything under $1,000 would be a great price but I think $1,000 is fair. See if you can get $1,000 including tax maybe?

I think there are people who got them for less than 1k and people that got them for more.

Big_Grumpy
02-25-2010, 19:01
Well, it's mainly a matter of not exceeding my bonus check and my GF's wishes. I'll have to draw the line, and if he does it, great! Rave reviews and recommendations for them, if not... I'll see what they can do on a Dodge... LOL

BTW... CDNN only appears to be an accessory store? Unless I have the wrong one... n/m there's a trick to it. I'm not an FFL.

tx787
02-25-2010, 19:15
That's totally reasonable, there's a lot of people very happy with the M&P and there's enough evidence of it being quality so you'd be fine with it too! But you will still want the HK down the road!

raven11
02-25-2010, 19:30
BTW... CDNN only appears to be an accessory store? Unless I have the wrong one... n/m there's a trick to it. I'm not an FFL.

Download the newest catalog
http://www.cdnninvestments.com/dowournewcat.html
- most handguns don't have prices- don't worry thats normal, likely because they are so close to dealer cost

call them at this number
1-800-588-9500
and place your order

its pretty simple
you call and give them the make and model, then they see if your FFL is on file (if not then ask him to send it in) then they charge your card

first time ordering was painless for me, and the operators seemed to know their stuff when i asked them a couple of questions

Chowser
02-25-2010, 19:50
Not sure what cost difference between HK45 and HK45C are, but my dealer told me the 45C was going to cost me $891. I decided to get the USP Compact in .45 instead because it's smaller and was $738. But then again, after trying to source magazines ($65-$75@), I might just cancel the order. I was hoping it would be in the $30-$33 range that I paid for all my P2000 .357 magazines.

Maybe a .45 just isn't for me. Or not a .45 HK since magazine prices are outrageous.

01deuce
02-25-2010, 19:55
Bought mine for $950 plus $12.50 shipping. Could have found a better price but I wanted the V7 LEM.

And just sold my M&P .45

http://i50.tinypic.com/jrdume.jpg

raven11
02-25-2010, 19:56
Not sure what cost difference between HK45 and HK45C are, but my dealer told me the 45C was going to cost me $891. I decided to get the USP Compact in .45 instead because it's smaller and was $738. But then again, after trying to source magazines ($65-$75@), I might just cancel the order. I was hoping it would be in the $30-$33 range that I paid for all my P2000 .357 magazines.

Maybe a .45 just isn't for me. Or not a .45 HK since magazine prices are outrageous.

i heard its because H&K is one of the few companies that make both the magazine and the weapon in house instead of outsourcing it out to another company like Mecgar - its prohibitively expensive to do it this way

Big_Grumpy
02-25-2010, 20:34
Dang. It ain't happening with that dealer. We couldn't agree on the $100 difference. The search continues. Damn sales tax. :steamed:

The guy even quoted me more than the price I could get an M&P for when I told him what I was quoted elsewhere.

RMA
02-25-2010, 21:22
I would find a used German version (thats what I did). Cabellas out of state had one & agreed on $850 shipped :cool:

GreyEclipse
02-25-2010, 22:07
Personally, H&K is one brand that is worth coughing up a little extra dough for.
Now, "how much would I pay for a new H&K45?"

Depends on how much I'm making. :P
As of now, I would hate to spend more than $1300 on a handgun.
But H&K is one of the few brands that is worth the $$$ in my opinion.

They make freaking grenade launchers, cmon.

Big_Grumpy
02-25-2010, 23:14
Ok... I found a REASONABLE dealer.

Can anyone tell me what the model number is on a Variant 9?

The Devil's talkin' loud...

H&K 4 LIFE
02-26-2010, 09:01
Ok... I found a REASONABLE dealer.

Can anyone tell me what the model number is on a Variant 9?

The Devil's talkin' loud...

HK45 V9 is DA/SA with the control lever on left side of frame (for right handed shooter) manual safety only, no decocker function.

Big_Grumpy
02-26-2010, 10:03
I want to opt for a V.9. I don't really see a use for me with a decock, plus I don't want to accidentally switch it to that mode when firing.

My dealer is looking for a specific model #, and I can't find one for a V.9.

tx787
02-26-2010, 10:15
I don't want to second guess your decision making process but accidentally decocking is really not going to happen unless you ride the safety with your thumb, which seems to be the habit of 1911 shooters only. It requires a lot of pressure to decock, it's not just flicking the lever down another notch. I can think of many situations when you might want to decock and you wouldn't want doing it movie style (thumb on the hammer) to be your only option.

tooouter
02-26-2010, 10:44
I had trouble finding one when I was ready to buy a couple of weeks ago. Ended up going through Davidson's. Got it for $950 total. Not a great price, I could have saved $75-100 had I been more patient. I never tried CDNN, but in retrospect I should have. Buying through Davidson's was easy, just did it all from their web site and picked it up at the lowest cost dealer in my area.

I looked on the forums, only found two that were lightly used and both were in the $900-$950 range so I just went ahead and bought new.

01deuce
02-26-2010, 16:11
I want to opt for a V.9. I don't really see a use for me with a decock, plus I don't want to accidentally switch it to that mode when firing.

My dealer is looking for a specific model #, and I can't find one for a V.9.

I doubt you will find a part number for a V9, the label on my factory V7 LEM says V1(but has the correct serial number on the label also). most likely you will have to have a HK direct dealer order a V9(and wait) or buy a v1 and the correct detent plate to convert to V9

curriek
03-02-2010, 13:39
CDNN has them for $918.56

sourdough44
03-02-2010, 18:40
I had the HK-45 & was satisfied. That is until I found a local lightly used HK-45c for $700. I say keep your eye peeled for that slightly used one, even if it involves shipping & an FFL transfer.

Wolf7897
03-02-2010, 19:09
Got mine for $975 out the door.

Sgt_Gold
03-07-2010, 10:40
I paid $800 for mine right as they came out. My dealer said "buy it now, because I can't get another one at this price". He said the distributor told him that he sold it to the shop at the wrong price, and that wasn't going to happen again.

Larry V
03-10-2010, 08:23
I found a dealer who will probably work with me to get to me for $1k. Seems fair, but I was wondering how low I could push him. I'm sooooooooo tempted to take a leap off the deep and and buy one of these bad boys.

The angel on my right shoulder says, "You don't need it! You'll be happy enough with an M&P45!! Buy more ammo with the money you'll save! Buy American!" :patriot:

The devil on my left shoulder says, "Forget that piece o' crap and get yourself a REAL shooter! It's WORTH IT!!! DO IT!!! DO IT!!!" :devildance:

Quite the price difference... what to do...

You will buy what you want in the end.You can get a brand new Sig P220 for 800. I have anMP 45 and I love it. I also have 2 HK 's.At the end of the day, they dont shoot any better then my Glock 21SF to justify the cost

MakeMineA10mm
03-11-2010, 20:43
I paid $800 for mine right as they came out. My dealer said "buy it now, because I can't get another one at this price". He said the distributor told him that he sold it to the shop at the wrong price, and that wasn't going to happen again.

Wow! You did good! I got one out of the first batch of 1000 (3-digit serial #), and I got it at cost plus shipping and phone call, and I thought I done good!! :supergrin:

The original dealer price was like $843 or so. IIRC, after paying shipping and the phone call, I got mine out the door for something like $865.

I find it frustratingly amusing that the US-made HK45s are more expensive than the original German-made ones. I was going to buy an American-made one as my primary HK45 (to carry on-duty) and keep the German one as a safe and range gun only, but now, I think I'm just sticking with my Glock 21 until I retire.

DarwinOSX
03-11-2010, 21:19
I don't want to second guess your decision making process but accidentally decocking is really not going to happen unless you ride the safety with your thumb, which seems to be the habit of 1911 shooters only. It requires a lot of pressure to decock, it's not just flicking the lever down another notch. I can think of many situations when you might want to decock and you wouldn't want doing it movie style (thumb on the hammer) to be your only option.

You should ride the safety with your thumb. Decocking by accident can easily happen while under stress and moving.

DarwinOSX
03-11-2010, 21:21
You will buy what you want in the end.You can get a brand new Sig P220 for 800. I have anMP 45 and I love it. I also have 2 HK 's.At the end of the day, they dont shoot any better then my Glock 21SF to justify the cost

P220's have always been problematic and the latest versions especially so. The guy who ran Kimber now runs Sig and has put much cheaper parts in everything and external extractors that have issues. They are no longer a premium brand like HK. For a great comparison of the 21SF, M&P .45, and HK 45 go here;
http://www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=76683&an=0&page=2#76683

sig freak78
03-11-2010, 21:30
Thats the same here.

MakeMineA10mm
03-12-2010, 14:48
Interesting review over at 10-8. Thanks for the link, Darwin.

I've carried my G-20, G-19, and now G-21 on-duty since my first department transitioned from revolvers in the early 90s. (Yeah, I'm old. For you young guys, revolvers are those old-style handguns that have the round thing in the middle... :supergrin: ) I've got medium to small hands and don't have too much trouble with the large-frame Glocks, but when shooting one-handed, I've always felt the gun was secure in my grip, but just marginally so. When I felt the prototype HK45 at the NRA show in St. Louis three-four years ago, I knew I had to have one. I'm working on getting an LEM trigger for it. (My early one is a V.1.) Don't know if I'll ever switch over to carrying it on duty.

I've noticed the same differences that were mentioned on the thread over at 10-8, in terms of the higher bore axis, but the really killer thing for me is - I'm not real thrilled with carrying a $800-$1000 gun on-duty with all that entails, when a $400 gun works just as well... Scratches on the G-21? Oh well. Bang the grip against the door frame of the squad or grind it into the gravel while in a ground-fight... Who cares? Stand out in the rain directing traffic around a fatal accident? Tennifer and plastic leave no worries. Do any of those things with a nice, expensive pistol, and I may be distracted by what's happening to my pistol, rather than handling what needs handling... I'll take the accurate, reliable, durable, CHEAP gun any day over similar-quality EXPENSIVE gun.

Still love the HK45, but not sure it's gonna ride with me at work...

GreyEclipse
03-12-2010, 15:00
Interesting review over at 10-8. Thanks for the link, Darwin.

I've carried my G-20, G-19, and now G-21 on-duty since my first department transitioned from revolvers in the early 90s. (Yeah, I'm old. For you young guys, revolvers are those old-style handguns that have the round thing in the middle... :supergrin: ) I've got medium to small hands and don't have too much trouble with the large-frame Glocks, but when shooting one-handed, I've always felt the gun was secure in my grip, but just marginally so. When I felt the prototype HK45 at the NRA show in St. Louis three-four years ago, I knew I had to have one. I'm working on getting an LEM trigger for it. (My early one is a V.1.) Don't know if I'll ever switch over to carrying it on duty.

I've noticed the same differences that were mentioned on the thread over at 10-8, in terms of the higher bore axis, but the really killer thing for me is - I'm not real thrilled with carrying a $800-$1000 gun on-duty with all that entails, when a $400 gun works just as well... Scratches on the G-21? Oh well. Bang the grip against the door frame of the squad or grind it into the gravel while in a ground-fight... Who cares? Stand out in the rain directing traffic around a fatal accident? Tennifer and plastic leave no worries. Do any of those things with a nice, expensive pistol, and I may be distracted by what's happening to my pistol, rather than handling what needs handling... I'll take the accurate, reliable, durable, CHEAP gun any day over similar-quality EXPENSIVE gun.

Still love the HK45, but not sure it's gonna ride with me at work...

I have a method for that.

For every hundred dollars you spend on a gun you have to baby it a month.
You keep it in the safe, take it to the range once a month.
Make sure it get's the good ammo and clean it accordingly.
This way you break in the gun but you're still able to keep it in good cond.

So if you spend 500$ on a gun then you would baby it for five months.
Now after that five months is over the gun then moves up in status...
IF it's reliable, durable and loved enough.It becomes either a night stand gun. It then spends five months in this position.
If you have other guns that work just as well you can rotate them.
That way one gun isn't getting all the wear and tear.
After another five months you could move the gun up in rank again.
As a concealed carry weapon for five months.
And finally to a open carry or service/duty weapon.
Then after that it becomes the perfect weapon.
A super reliable work horse of a gun.

The only stage after this is beater but hopefully it won't come to that.:tongueout:

Larry V
03-13-2010, 09:41
P220's have always been problematic and the latest versions especially so. The guy who ran Kimber now runs Sig and has put much cheaper parts in everything and external extractors that have issues. They are no longer a premium brand like HK. For a great comparison of the 21SF, M&P .45, and HK 45 go here;
http://www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=76683&an=0&page=2#76683

I prefer an External Extractor.I have 3 Sig P220's and they are working great so far. HK has External Extractors. Sig was having problems with their Internal extractors thats why they went to External.The guy From Kimber is a dope for sure, But the 6 sigs I have bought new in the past 2 years have been Fine.

Big_Grumpy
03-18-2010, 09:25
Sorry guys.... I couldn't justify it. I went with a brand new M&P AND a TLR-2. And I STILL came in about $200 less than an HK45.

http://pic60.picturetrail.com:80/VOL1734/11053511/23060695/384382172.jpg

Maybe someday when I have money to burn, I'll get that HK.

therepublic
03-21-2010, 09:12
$875. From my personal experience I haven't noticed anything to justify purchasing one above this price.

Buzzo
03-21-2010, 10:11
I wouldn't buy a new one. You can save a couple hundred buying a used one.

Larry V
03-21-2010, 17:55
I had trouble finding one when I was ready to buy a couple of weeks ago. Ended up going through Davidson's. Got it for $950 total. Not a great price, I could have saved $75-100 had I been more patient. I never tried CDNN, but in retrospect I should have. Buying through Davidson's was easy, just did it all from their web site and picked it up at the lowest cost dealer in my area.

I looked on the forums, only found two that were lightly used and both were in the $900-$950 range so I just went ahead and bought new.

Do you have to have an FFL to buy fromCDNN?

01deuce
03-21-2010, 18:32
Do you have to have an FFL to buy fromCDNN?

No, just an FFL to have it transfered to.

Chonny
04-10-2010, 19:01
The HK45 is really a beast, and feels great. They did a hell of a job on that gun. I couldn't see them winning the joint service pistol contract at the cost. I'm sure the hard edged folk and para military forces will be using this pistol.

furioso2112
04-10-2010, 19:46
Considering the price of ammo vs. price of gun, I can't really get too bothered by paying a lot for a gun, provided I get a quality gun at a competitive price (not talking about paying $1000 for a stock Glock, talking about paying 900 for a HK45 vs 500 for a Glock - both are great guns, and the prices are reasonable compared to the market).

Chonny
04-11-2010, 14:03
Forgot to add Id pay whatever as long as it was no more than average discounted price. I think around here they are 1029. I saw one, but looked away. Sometimes staring for too long can get me to do crazy things.

Edit: Nice M&P.

HAMMERHEAD
04-11-2010, 15:55
It's too late, he had his chance and he blew it.
Smith and Wesson, my goodness!

Todesengel
04-13-2010, 16:30
I've seen them NIB for $850 + tax at the local gun show. I would pay a little more online if they had the LEM since it would cost around $100 to convert it.

Chonny
04-18-2010, 00:04
I have a method for that.

For every hundred dollars you spend on a gun you have to baby it a month.
You keep it in the safe, take it to the range once a month.
Make sure it get's the good ammo and clean it accordingly.
This way you break in the gun but you're still able to keep it in good cond.

So if you spend 500$ on a gun then you would baby it for five months.
Now after that five months is over the gun then moves up in status...
IF it's reliable, durable and loved enough.It becomes either a night stand gun. It then spends five months in this position.
If you have other guns that work just as well you can rotate them.
That way one gun isn't getting all the wear and tear.
After another five months you could move the gun up in rank again.
As a concealed carry weapon for five months.
And finally to a open carry or service/duty weapon.
Then after that it becomes the perfect weapon.
A super reliable work horse of a gun.

The only stage after this is beater but hopefully it won't come to that.:tongueout:

I love this!