.22lr Silencer [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : .22lr Silencer

unit1069
02-25-2010, 20:36
I lucked out and found a used Ruger Mark II about six months ago. After learning a few things about it and tweaking it I have come to love plinking with this pistol.

My sister owns a remote cabin that sits on a bluff above a beautiful Ozark river. There are hundreds of floaters going down the river on Summer weekends, and throughout the Summer months there are floaters on the river every day.

A canoe outfitter owns the riverfront property below the bluff where my sister's cabin sits. Besides renting canoes he operates a large campground. Because of the slope of the hill and the dense woods her place cannot be seen by campers below or canoers on the river. We like that, insofar as the last thing any of us want is for drunken/drugged weekenders deciding to "explore" the area.

A few days ago my sister said armadillos are beginning to become more plentiful in the area. She has recently had the state department of conservation agents help her create a natural habitat environment to bring back native game birds. Another problem creeping up seems to be more mice, perhaps because of the large campground below.

I mentioned I have a .22lr and that would likely be good for picking off the animal interlopers and she agreed. Then I remembered the camper problem and said the crack of a pistol would alert the weekenders to someone on top of the crest and behind them. So it is a stalemate.

My questions: How difficult is it to get approval for a silencer? How much does it cost? How hard is it to maintain properly? And what would I have to do to the pistol to mate the silencer with the gun?

This occurred to me after talking to my sister, but if it's an expensive headache that will also draw the BATF on me I'd just as soon forget about it. But a silencer does seem to be an answer to the dilemma, as far as the armadillos go. The mice, a couple of cats would help.

Answers and opinions, please.

PS Just noticed the "Supressor Host" thread. Sorry if I'm duplicating another thread.

DriBak
02-25-2010, 20:41
www.silencertalk.com

TonyT
02-26-2010, 13:33
I lucked out and found a used Ruger Mark II about six months ago. After learning a few things about it and tweaking it I have come to love plinking with this pistol.

My sister owns a remote cabin that sits on a bluff above a beautiful Ozark river. There are hundreds of floaters going down the river on Summer weekends, and throughout the Summer months there are floaters on the river every day.

A canoe outfitter owns the riverfront property below the bluff where my sister's cabin sits. Besides renting canoes he operates a large campground. Because of the slope of the hill and the dense woods her place cannot be seen by campers below or canoers on the river. We like that, insofar as the last thing any of us want is for drunken/drugged weekenders deciding to "explore" the area.

A few days ago my sister said armadillos are beginning to become more plentiful in the area. She has recently had the state department of conservation agents help her create a natural habitat environment to bring back native game birds. Another problem creeping up seems to be more mice, perhaps because of the large campground below.

I mentioned I have a .22lr and that would likely be good for picking off the animal interlopers and she agreed. Then I remembered the camper problem and said the crack of a pistol would alert the weekenders to someone on top of the crest and behind them. So it is a stalemate.

My questions: How difficult is it to get approval for a silencer? How much does it cost? How hard is it to maintain properly? And what would I have to do to the pistol to mate the silencer with the gun?

This occurred to me after talking to my sister, but if it's an expensive headache that will also draw the BATF on me I'd just as soon forget about it. But a silencer does seem to be an answer to the dilemma, as far as the armadillos go. The mice, a couple of cats would help.

Answers and opinions, please.

PS Just noticed the "Supressor Host" thread. Sorry if I'm duplicating another thread.
Have you considerd an airgun for your pest control needs? I also used the CCI 22 Short CB caps which have a very mild report in a rifle.

JFrame
02-26-2010, 14:16
Have you considerd an airgun for your pest control needs? I also used the CCI 22 Short CB caps which have a very mild report in a rifle.

I have absolutely no experience in this regard, but I'm wondering if CB caps might be a little under-powered to reliably and mercifully dispatch armadillos...

Also, I'm thinking that any air rifle of sufficient power to take out an armadillo would be about as loud as a .22 (just based on the sound signature of my RWS-52).

uzimon
02-26-2010, 14:20
How difficult is it to get approval for a silencer?
depends on your location and the leo's.
but there's also othe ways
also try www.subguns.com

98_1LE
02-26-2010, 14:21
I want one of these, bad: http://www.s-n-sshootingsupplies.com/2nd_page.html

unit1069
02-26-2010, 21:00
Thanks for the ideas, everyone.

I like the idea of the air pistol for mice but I don't think it would be powerful enough to be effective with armadillos.

The more I read the other threads it looks like the cost of a decent suppressed system is more than I want to spend just to use against some armadillos.

Ljay
02-26-2010, 21:25
Another option would be, find an old used inexpensive single shot 22 with a 24" barrel, Then get some 22 Subsonic s Not much louder than a good pellet rifle, The 24" barrel burns up all the powder, No crack! I have taken much game with the Subsonic s ,

mitchshrader
02-26-2010, 21:29
.22 short hollowpoint from an old bolt action .22 makes less noise than a .177 spring loaded air gun. They're just the ticket for shooting minidinosaurs.

unit1069
02-26-2010, 21:45
Okay, guys. I'm back in the game. The rifle/sub-sonic route seems like a good idea if the sound is practically nil. I'd prefer sticking with .22lr so I can use the rifle with better ammo when not using it at my sister's place.

I recently saw a Mossberg .22lr with a 10-round mag (I think) for $120. Would that be a good rifle to shoot the sub-sonic? I don't know the barrel length.

B.Reid
02-28-2010, 06:24
You can get a .22 suppressor for around $400 plus $200 tax. You will have to tread the barrel to attach it though.

unit1069
02-28-2010, 09:34
You can get a .22 suppressor for around $400 plus $200 tax. You will have to tread the barrel to attach it though.

That's what I was afraid of. Out of the ballpark for me but I'll mention it to my sister in case the armadillo situation becomes a real problem.

The rifle/sub-sonic ammo route, though, still seems promising.

JFrame
02-28-2010, 10:01
I recall seeing a Youtube video of side-by-side performances of identical P22's, one equipped with a $100 suppressor and the other with a $500 suppressor (minus the stamp cost).

The 100 dollar suppressor was actually more effective in dampening sound.

Mongosafari
02-28-2010, 12:52
attached are pics of my Ruger 22/45.

The barrel is threaded and it uses an M16 flash hider as a thread protector (.500"x28 TPI).

old pics without and newer with an EOTech 552

fifty2you
03-17-2010, 22:35
Tagged

Messer
03-18-2010, 06:41
Another option - crossbow.

Angry Fist
03-18-2010, 06:55
If you are in Missouri, yer SOL on the suppressor. That and DD's are the only things citizens cannot have. Even with a tax-stamp...

Texas357
03-18-2010, 22:16
The armadillos are native and natural, I presume. They may root up your yard, but they are eating pests that are bad for the plants. The armadillos will move on once they've gotten most of the grubs, etc. from the yard, and it will be healthier from it.

As for mice, traps of various kinds work.

Sounds to me like you are looking for an excuse to buy some new hardware, and something to shoot.

deadite
03-19-2010, 05:09

Or a bow-staff. ;)

deadite

scottMO
03-20-2010, 00:12
If you are in Missouri, yer SOL on the suppressor. That and DD's are the only things citizens cannot have. Even with a tax-stamp...

Actually suppressors have been good to go since Aug of 2008 and are treated no different than MG's, SBR's, SBS's. Like ownership for other NFA items in Missouri, you must have at least a C&R to satisfy a state law...

Angry Fist
03-20-2010, 00:21
I am out of date. Did not know it was reinstated. Very interesting...

scottMO
03-20-2010, 00:25
I am out of date. Did not know it was reinstated. Very interesting...

It's prob cheaper that way. :supergrin:

My vice has been SBR's but a Trident9 and Spectre/warlock are in my future plans..

DARKSHADOW
03-20-2010, 06:12
If you want option's with 22 ammo, my brother has a Marlin 39A lever action 22, wich uses a tube fed mag. With it he can fire 22 short, 22 long, and 22 long rifle. He has a scope on it right now, and when shooting at 40-50 yard's, we can see the 22 short fly down range. Keep in mind, removable mag fed firearms usualy only fire one specific caliber.

And yes, the 22 short is insanely quiet.

rscottk90
03-21-2010, 17:27
Okay, guys. I'm back in the game. The rifle/sub-sonic route seems like a good idea if the sound is practically nil. I'd prefer sticking with .22lr so I can use the rifle with better ammo when not using it at my sister's place.

I recently saw a Mossberg .22lr with a 10-round mag (I think) for $120. Would that be a good rifle to shoot the sub-sonic? I don't know the barrel length.
how far to the campground ? i use a savage mark 2 with subsonics about 3 to 400 yards from the house and no one knows where i am when im doin it. so tht means people outside the house arnt hearing me

by the way for mice heres the trick. get a small garbage pan or 5 gal bucket. take a yard stick and make a ramp going up to it and smeer penut butter or something yummy up it. then at the end of the yard stick staple a stiff sheet of paper to it and staple a peice of cheese to it. up the ramp on the stiff but not to stiff paper and they fall in the bucket. fill with water to drown em. caught 6 in a night

Another Miller
03-23-2010, 21:20
Or just get a plastic bucket and put a steel plate in the bottom,attach a car battery wires to the plate,from holes under the bucket.drop a glob of peanut butter on the inside edge.The mice fall into the bucket trying to get the peanut butter and it gets them everytime,worked similiar to a bug zapper.Used this to solve a chipmonk problem.disposing of the little buggers after the fact became a bigger problem.

For a less dramatic approach, get a pellet rifle called "whisper" they cost around 225 new and have a scope on them but the velocity is in 1000fps range and they have a noise dampener built right onto the muzzle.

COLDSTEEL165
08-20-2010, 22:40
I have used on my 22 rifle's a pop bottle & some duck tape, no more noise louder than a cap gun.

faawrenchbndr
08-21-2010, 08:18
The armadillos are native and natural, I presume. They may root up your yard, but they are eating pests that are bad for the plants. The armadillos will move on once they've gotten most of the grubs, etc. from the yard, and it will be healthier from it........

This......:supergrin:

Fireman1291
08-30-2010, 09:13
The armadillos are native and natural, I presume. They may root up your yard, but they are eating pests that are bad for the plants. The armadillos will move on once they've gotten most of the grubs, etc. from the yard, and it will be healthier from it.

As for mice, traps of various kinds work.

Sounds to me like you are looking for an excuse to buy some new hardware, and something to shoot.

HA. They dont move on. 1 1/2 yr later and I just killed number 18 last night. I hate those things. They dig under your foundation and dig up plants. :2gun:

vafish
08-30-2010, 11:41

Crossbow or a compound bow would be my choice.

But a decent crossbow will run you as much as a .22 suppressor and the tax stamp.

vafish
08-30-2010, 11:45
I have used on my 22 rifle's a pop bottle & some duck tape, no more noise louder than a cap gun.

And only 10 years in jail if you get caught.

Angry Fist
08-30-2010, 16:18
Dammit, how'd this here tater get on my barrel? :rofl:

vafish
08-31-2010, 09:03
Dammit, how'd this here tater get on my barrel? :rofl:

Honest officer I was walking along through the woods to shoot an armadillo, I tripped and fell and stuck the barrel of my gun in the ground, when I pulled it out the potato was stuck on the end of the barrel and I couldn't pull it off.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Toml
08-31-2010, 09:45
How loud is a gunshot from the campground? Send someone down the hill and pop a cap...I imagine that unless it's absolutely quiet no one will even notice.

Sound moves in the direction of the muzzle; aim away from the activities, which you would be doing anyway for safety's sake.

Markasaurus
08-31-2010, 11:20

For a less dramatic approach, get a pellet rifle called "whisper" they cost around 225 new and have a scope on them but the velocity is in 1000fps range and they have a noise dampener built right onto the muzzle.

this gun sounds very cool alright.

http://www.airgundepot.com/gamo-whisper.html