pocket carry g19 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : pocket carry g19

jwitagauge
02-26-2010, 01:09
does anyone on here pocket carry a g19? I know mine fits in the pockest of my pants easily but dont know if it will with a holster. I am a pretty big guy and am thinking this will be the most comfortable way for me to carry but i want to know if it is even advisable Thanks

Kith
02-26-2010, 06:36
I sometimes pocket carry my G19. Sometimes in the front pocket, sometimes in the back pocket. When it's in the back pocket, the grip sticks out. It's winter time, so my jacket covers it. Makes it easy as pie to draw.

When I do, I don't use a holster. Because of that, I carry it with no round in the chamber, since nothing covers the trigger.

I don't feel comfortable with an empty chamber, but It's just not safe with a round in the chamber and an exposed trigger.

I've been thinking about trying to find a pocket holster for it, but I don't know if such a thing is made since I have never looked.

When I carry with a holster, I always have a round in the chamber.

fryewire
02-26-2010, 07:37
A G19 is a little big for me to pocket carry but I have done it. Stoner Holsters makes a pocket carry holster for the G26 that also fits the G19. It is a great holster for the G26 and the only difference is that the G19's nose hangs out a bit from the open end of the leather holster.

isis07734
02-27-2010, 11:53
:needspics:

haha

randyc74
02-27-2010, 12:19
Last year I built a pocket holster for a customers G-19 with laser/light. He loved the holster. I'm guessing he had the pockets to work with that setup.

gringogigante
02-27-2010, 14:00
HI jwitagauge,

I have been pocket carrying my G19 for years. I love it! It takes a lot of practice time to be able to get it out and into action efficiently, but it's just a matter of practice.

I'll try to take some pics later and add them.

Keep it up!

does anyone on here pocket carry a g19? I know mine fits in the pockest of my pants easily but dont know if it will with a holster. I am a pretty big guy and am thinking this will be the most comfortable way for me to carry but i want to know if it is even advisable Thanks

skyugo
02-27-2010, 14:04
i can pocket carry my G26 in carhart pants (which are a pretty generous cut)
the G19... not so much.
if you're not comfortable with it IWB, consider an OWB holster.
raven concealment's phantom can be used IWB or OWB. excellent for both. i've finally got all my pants up-sized to a 34" waist so i can carry comfortably IWB so i've left the IWB loops on that holster for awhile now.

Bill Lumberg
02-27-2010, 14:05
Yes, you can. No, it isn't adviseable. Pocket carry itself isn't too swift as compared to a proper belt mounted holster, doubly so with a 19/23/32.

skyugo
02-27-2010, 14:06
Yes, you can. No, it isn't adviseable. Pocket carry itself isn't too swift as compared to a proper belt mounted holster, doubly so with a 19/23/32.

the upside of pocket carry is that you can have a good grip on your gun without appearing suspicious. just looks like your hand is in your pocket.

Bill Lumberg
02-27-2010, 14:24
This is true. If we could always keep our hand in our pocket, pocket carry would rule.

dakrat
02-27-2010, 14:26
why yes, the Glock 19 is pocketable http://theramblings.org/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/ap_sagging_pants_071015_ms.jpg

hoffy
02-27-2010, 15:31
Cheapest pocket carry holster I have found is an Uncle Mikes IWB, that has kind of a velvet feel on the outside so it stays in pocket. Cut the clip and there ya go, about 12-13$ or less I think. This is what I do for my motorcycle jacket, I agree with whoever said that the trigger should be covered with one in the spout. I cant carry traditionally on my motorcycle as I wear all the gear all the time and most of my motorcycle pants do not have a belt, and I do not want to crash with one on my hip. The jackets I have all seem to have a "gun pocket" just outside the zipper on the left of the coat, just put hand under storm flap and unzip(if it is zipped up). Have been down 3 times carrying this way, twice very hard(read hospital, not my fault) and the gun has not hurt me. Now in jeans pockets I do not think this holster would help with printing at all, one would have to go with a traditional pocket holster to reduce printing.

hikerpaddler
02-28-2010, 06:29
I tried one of those 20 years ago. Wasn't good enough then, and damn sure isn't now. Just not stable. Fine for a slipcover for the safe.

manchu2n
02-28-2010, 06:45
I can only pocket carry a 19 in a jacket or vest. To meet the requirements of the law I have a flat Yaqui style holster to put it in. I had a inside the pants holster (not IWB) but the wife said it made me look like John Holmes so I quit using it.

JuneyBooney
02-28-2010, 06:57
I guess you are carrying it in a "modified Mexican Carry" method.:rofl:I would never carry a round in the chamber of a Glock with it near the jewels unless there is a holster.

Dandapani
02-28-2010, 06:57
:needspics:

haha

He pocket carries a G20...

http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/1255/kangarooqr1.jpg

Grayson
05-11-2011, 19:51
I kinda hate to bump a thread this old, but also hate to make a new thread on the same subject. Also looking for info on pocket carrying a G19. I've seen that in at least some of my pants the G19 would fit in them. And I've also seen a Desantis Nemesis advertised for a G19, so I know I'm not the first one to have thought of the notion.

Yeah, I know that there are better methods - I prefer IWB in an RM Holster works rig. But it's called *concealed* carry and there are times when pocket carry is all I can manage due to wardrobe limitations.

Warp
05-11-2011, 20:03
I kinda hate to bump a thread this old, but also hate to make a new thread on the same subject. Also looking for info on pocket carrying a G19. I've seen that in at least some of my pants the G19 would fit in them. And I've also seen a Desantis Nemesis advertised for a G19, so I know I'm not the first one to have thought of the notion.

Yeah, I know that there are better methods - I prefer IWB in an RM Holster works rig. But it's called *concealed* carry and there are times when pocket carry is all I can manage due to wardrobe limitations.

And you can *conceal* a G19 in your pocket?

Grayson
05-11-2011, 20:09
Mmmm...that's the trick, isn't it?

Guess I could try it in some choice pants, sans one in the pipe, and see. dakrat's pic is gone, but I can get the gist of it based on the filename. IE, WEIGHT is something to consider too! ;)

I have some 5.11 TDU pants, and got in on the nifty Eotac pants clearance just recently. They have very generous pockets.

I will say this, I'm paranoid about printing even with dedicated pocket guns like the P3AT or LCR. I usually fold some paper (junk mail envelope is handy) and use it to break up the gun outline so it just looks like a wallet or PDA or something. But one pair of the Eotac pants I got has a pocket that's on top of the front pocket that serves that purpose nicely.

Warp
05-11-2011, 20:13
Mmmm...that's the trick, isn't it?

Guess I could try it in some choice pants, sans one in the pipe, and see. dakrat's pic is gone, but I can get the gist of it based on the filename. IE, WEIGHT is something to consider too! ;)

I have some 5.11 TDU pants, and got in on the nifty Eotac pants clearance just recently. They have very generous pockets.

I will say this, I'm paranoid about printing even with dedicated pocket guns like the P3AT or LCR. I usually fold some paper (junk mail envelope is handy) and use it to break up the gun outline so it just looks like a wallet or PDA or something. But one pair of the Eotac pants I got has a pocket that's on top of the front pocket that serves that purpose nicely.

Just throwing this out there...if I saw somebody with pants even remotely resembling BDUs/TDUs with a square or rectangular item printing in their pocket I would strongly suspect it was a firearm.

Seraph
05-11-2011, 20:37
There's a strong chance you'll screw the pooch trying to draw a G19 from a pocket, at speed, under stress. Moreover, how well will you be able to draw while seated, such as when in a car, for example?

Donn57
05-11-2011, 21:18
There's a strong chance you'll screw the pooch trying to draw a G19 from a pocket, at speed, under stress. Moreover, how well will you be able to draw while seated, such as when in a car, for example?

Also a strong chance of screwing the pooch if for some reason you need to draw with your weak hand. That point alone keeps me from even considering pocket carry. I know for some that it is pocket carry or no carry in some cases, but thankfully that's not my situation.

High Noon
05-11-2011, 21:44
We have sold many pocket holsters for the 19. Not sure if they actually use them as pocket holsters, but many like the Pocket Grabber for the 19 for a glove compartment holster. It may help you out in your situation.

http://highnoonholsters.com/Product_Line/_Pocket_Grabber/_pocket_grabber.html

Justin

Grayson
05-11-2011, 21:47
Around here cargo pants are a pretty common sight, not too worried about that. I likes my EDC gear, and while plain ol 4-pocket pants come close, they just don't cut it. I'd rather have a rectangle there and some doubt, than the clearly visible grip of a pistol or revolver happen to print and leaving NO doubt at all.

Seated draw is a valid concern. No easy way around that, short of removing then gun while in the car and putting it somewhere in easy reach. No such option for other seated circumstances, like at a restaurant...hm.

As for offhand access...in lots of pants it would be impossible, but when I say the Eotacs have generous pockets I ain't kidding - even the opening. It wouldn't be lightning-fast but it could be done.

Failing that...I could always keep another gun in the offhand pocket if it came down to it. When carrying my G19 IWB on my strong side, when the rare urge to carry a backup gun hits me I always do it in my weak hand pocket.

cruisermedic
05-11-2011, 21:52
I have put a G22 in my front pocket of several of my pants. I have a few that it will fit in the back pocket of. And no, I'm not talking about big huge baggy legged jeans that hang down to my knees. It's not my fav but I have done it when I didn't have my own for one reason or another and didn't want it to pop out my waistband.

Sundown
05-12-2011, 01:27
Is that a G19 in your pocket or......

I'm a fairly large-framed fella and there's no way I can conceal to any appreciable level a firearm that large in any of my pants pockets. I can pocket carry a 642 and occasionally a G27, but always in a holster.

cadillacguns
05-12-2011, 02:30
Is that a GLOCK in your pocket? Or are you just happy to see me?

I do the G-27 alot, never tried my G-23, wouldn't think of trying to stuff a G-22 in one.

up1911fan
05-12-2011, 16:15
I think my G26 is to big for pocket carry.

rdanfox
05-14-2011, 09:29
Pocket carry of a g27 has been on my mind for a couple of weeks now. This thread motivated me to go ahead and order a desantis nemesis and also the pocket mag holder; should be here next Thursday.

I've got a nemesis for my bobbed sw637 but honestly I can't hit the broad side of a barn past 15 or 20 feet with it; which really turns me away from carrying it.

Pocket carry of the g27 will be limited to summer, when wearing cargo shorts (so the stuff in my pocket can go in the extra pockets) and tshirts when prinitng could be a concern.