Williams Fire Sight Front Sight installation? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Williams Fire Sight Front Sight installation?

Rolan_Kraps
02-26-2010, 13:49
I just bought a set of Williams Fire Sites for my Glock 34.

The front sight stake is solid. That is, no "hole" for a stake to be inserted like a "normal" front sight.

How to I secure this in my slide? My friend who is a certified Glock guy threw up his hands and said "it should have a hole for a stake or a screw".

Does anyone else have experience with this?

I called Williams and they said it should be staked in, but how do you stake in an Aluminum sight?:faint:

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk200/Rolan_Kraps/Glockfrontsight001.jpg

JohnKSa
02-26-2010, 23:27
I would position the front sight in the slide properly and then put the slide upside down with the front sight squarely on a surface so that it can't move at all. You want the top of the sight to be flat against the surface so the entire top surface of the sight absorbs the force of the staking operation. Otherwise it will shift during the operation and/or be damaged by the force applied to a small portion of the top of the sight.

Then I would use a flat bit screwdriver and position it on the part that protrudes slightly through the underside of the slide and tap it firmly with a hammer. Then I'd turn the screwdriver 90 degrees and do it again. The object is to make enough of an impression in the sight "root" to expand the metal so that it will hold the sight in place.

If it doesn't protrude through the slide enough to do that then I would do as above but instead of using a screwdriver I'd use a punch at the front and rear of the part that goes through the slide to expand the metal enough to hold the sight in place.

The key is that the sight and slide must be held firmly in position and neither can move during the staking operation.

PEC-Memphis
02-26-2010, 23:33
I'd just get a Dawson Precision and attach it with the supplied hex screw and supplied tool (and not supplied loc-tite)

Rolan_Kraps
02-27-2010, 05:51
Thanks for the replies guys.

John, have you done this before with the Williams site?

PEC, that would be great, but I "have" the Williams site. I'd have to buy the Dawson Precision site.

faawrenchbndr
02-27-2010, 07:52
Good posting JohnKSa,.........

Rolan'
Sights have been staked on like John' stated for years on 1911's.
Of course, this is before the dovetail design that is used today

Rolan_Kraps
02-27-2010, 18:50
Thanks guys!