Century Arms Polish Model 1960 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Century Arms Polish Model 1960

pennlineman
02-26-2010, 17:31
Hi Guys. I have an oppertunity to buy a Polish Model 1960 AK from a local gun shop for $749. They said they had five of them and they sold quickly. The guys that work there bought two of them. Other than it having a milled reciever I know next to nothing about this gun. This is the first one I've seen.

Does anyone know if this is a decent AK? Any problems that with it that I should be aware of? I know the quality of Century Arms can be hit or miss. Any information about the rifle would be most appreciated. Thanks:wavey:

PlasticGuy
02-26-2010, 21:15
The one I looked at seemed pretty well built for the money. I know that Century has contracted them out (which is a good thing), but I don't know who is actually building them. Whoever it is, they did a good job on the one I handled. It's no Arsenal Bulgarian, but it's not bad and it's half the price. Reviews on other forums have been pretty good so far.

GIockGuy24
02-26-2010, 22:56
I haven't seen the ones you are talking about but I believe the Polish 1960 model has a gas cut off valve in the gas block. I installed one of those barrels in a Bulgarian receiver. I had to turn down the barrel threads and press and pin it in the receiver.

pennlineman
02-27-2010, 03:51
Thanks guys. The gentleman at the gun store said there was a short run on these. I just wanted to to see what others have heard before I bought it. I think I'll go get it today. If I don't this sounds like one of the ones I'll be kicking myself in the butt for not getting.

I'll post a pic or two later today.

pennlineman
02-27-2010, 13:10
Here it is. I'm still open for any information anyone may have about this gun.

http://i616.photobucket.com/albums/tt250/pennlineman/DSCF1216.jpg

http://i616.photobucket.com/albums/tt250/pennlineman/DSCF1217.jpg

GIockGuy24
02-27-2010, 14:56
Some info at this link.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=64&t=123915&page=1

pennlineman
02-27-2010, 16:16
Thanks for the link GIockguy24, it was helpful.

atakawow
02-27-2010, 20:42
Did you already make the purchase? Several online shops like Aim's and Classic Arms have them for $599.99.

Never mind, they raise their prices to $699.99 now =/

pennlineman
02-28-2010, 08:54
Yes, I already got it. I am some what reluctant to buy something like this sight unseen. It's always worth a few extra $$$ to see it first, for me anyways.

I'm not the biggest AK fan in the World, I prefer AR's. But I do have a strong appreciation for them. This is the fourth one in our house. My daughter and I both have a WASR and my wife has a Norinco in 5.56mm.

Out of the ones we have the Norinco has the nicest fit and finish. A real nice gun. Most everybody knows the quality of the wasr's, but they both run good. The fit and finish on this Polish gun is much better the the WASR's but not as nice as the Norinco. Everything is absolutly straight on this gun. The magazines fit well and the parkerized finish is well done, not perfect, but not at all bad.

Mine came with a bayonet and three 30rnd magazines. It is missing the cleaning rod and the stock lacks a sling swivel, perhaps the reason I got three magazines. Simple things to fix but still a little annoying. Over all it seems to be a real nice gun and I happy with it.

I wish I could give a range report but, the parking area where I shoot has over three feet of snow. So I'll wait, Spring will soon be here. Hope this helps anyone who may be looking to buy one of these.

Mike M.
04-24-2010, 12:31
I wish I could give a range report but, the parking area where I shoot has over three feet of snow. So I'll wait, Spring will soon be here. Hope this helps anyone who may be looking to buy one of these.

Please do give a range report, Im thinking about getting one of these for my first ak! :supergrin:

Aceman
04-24-2010, 21:01
I was looking at those. I'd clean up the finish, add the swivel and sling - and BAM; Classic awesome ak.

Assuming all goes well at the range.

Still - I think those are fantastic. I'd love one.

pennlineman
04-24-2010, 21:27
I took it out to the range a few weeks ago. Fired 40 rounds through it with no problems from a functional standpoint. The front sight was screwed down in too far and was hitting above the target at 100 yards. I brought it into 50 yards and aimed low. It seems to have typical AK accuracy.

I forgot my sight adjustment tool. It is now in my range bag so I can sight it in next trip out.

I've been side tracked with fishing, mushroom hunting and next weekend spring gobbler opens up. I wanted to wait to give a proper report. I'll try to make it out tomorrow weather permiting and post some pics.

I did put a side mounted sling swivel and sling on the gun. I also got a cleaning rod for it. I had to cut it down about .5 of an inch so it is just for show.

Thus far I am pleased with it.

Mike M.
04-24-2010, 22:09
sounds good

fistpoint
04-25-2010, 04:20
The one I saw in person had nasty looking swirls in the lightening cuts, but overall looked pretty nice. The action was very smooth as well.

From your observations, do you think the receiver is cast? I do not think that question was ever fully answered from the ARF thread.

pennlineman
04-25-2010, 12:49
The one I saw in person had nasty looking swirls in the lightening cuts, but overall looked pretty nice. The action was very smooth as well.

From your observations, do you think the receiver is cast? I do not think that question was ever fully answered from the ARF thread.

I think it's forged, but I'm not the best guy to ask. I base this on the observation that every part of the reciever has machine marks if you look close enough. I could be very wrong. If anyone has a way to tell the difference I'm all ears. I'm kind of curious myself.

Mike M.

This is for you buddy. I took it out today and fired 40 more trouble free rounds. After getting the thing on paper at 50 yards I moved the target out to 100. The group on the right was the 1st group. I moved the front sight a tad to the right and produced the 2nd group on the left. The shoot nc target is about 6" in diameter.

http://i616.photobucket.com/albums/tt250/pennlineman/DSCF1352.jpg

I am pleased. I'm sure a younger man with youthful eyesight could do better. The ammo was some sort of surplus Yugoslavian ball. Still a little tweeking to do, but I can live with this.

Not the best pic, here it is with sling, swivel and cleaning rod.

http://i616.photobucket.com/albums/tt250/pennlineman/DSCF1353.jpg

scromer
04-25-2010, 18:28
Very nice!!!

pennlineman
04-25-2010, 18:34
Thankyou!

Mike M.
04-25-2010, 19:04
Mike M.

This is for you buddy. I took it out today and fired 40 more trouble free rounds. After getting the thing on paper at 50 yards I moved the target out to 100. The group on the right was the 1st group. I moved the front sight a tad to the right and produced the 2nd group on the left. The shoot nc target is about 6" in diameter.

http://i616.photobucket.com/albums/tt250/pennlineman/DSCF1352.jpg

I am pleased. I'm sure a younger man with youthful eyesight could do better. The ammo was some sort of surplus Yugoslavian ball. Still a little tweeking to do, but I can live with this.

Not the best pic, here it is with sling, swivel and cleaning rod.

http://i616.photobucket.com/albums/tt250/pennlineman/DSCF1353.jpg

:wow: thats awesome! thanks for the update! to be honest i'm not looking for really good accuracy (I would definitely be happy with those groups) I'm just want a nice classic looking ak47, that means no stamped receivers lol

Aceman
04-26-2010, 19:43
That'll work just fine...and then some.

fistpoint
04-27-2010, 15:45
Yugoslav surplus is corrosive. Make sure to clean accordingly.

pennlineman
04-27-2010, 18:02
Aceman, Thanks! I'm really happy with this rifle.

Fistpoint thanks for the imput. I treat all surplus ammo as if it were corrosive. Keeps me out of trouble.