Is this good? How to improve medium and long-range shooting skills? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Is this good? How to improve medium and long-range shooting skills?

MattHappyTrails
02-26-2010, 17:51
I took my 18 year old shooting today. He used my Savage model 10 in .223 topped with a Mueller Mildot scope at 16X. All distances shot were rangefinder measured. After shooting targets at 75 to 150 yards he said he wanted to do something more challanging. He placed the forearm on the hood of the car on an old bag for the following.
I put out two targets a 213 yards. One was 1 1/2 inch diameter. The other was 1/2 inch by 1 inch. I spotted. The first shot at the 1 1 /2 inch was a miss by 1 inch 5 o'clock. I called the dot. He adjusted and hit the next two dead on. He hit the smaller one 1st try! He repeated this three more times, no cool down between shots. It was 42 degrees. Wind was @ 5 MPH from behind. Humidity was 35%. Altitude was 5148 feet. Ammo was Wolf .223 HP, 55gr.

Two questions: Is this really good? He wants to know how he can get better. Any suggestions? Please respond.

I posted this here because on the open form a would be flamed as this being nonsense. I assure you this is true. Thank you.

Zak Smith
03-15-2010, 10:57
This isn't really a question in the spirit of the GATE forums-- however, you do ask how he can get better. Let me touch on that. To get better at long-range shooting, you need both the "short range accuracy" and experience at shooting at long range.

The essence of the "short range accuracy" component is to improve your ability to shoot very small groups at short distances (say within 200 yards). This is important because if you can't shoot into 1/2" at 100 yards you won't be able to shoot into 5" at 1000 yards. Besides shooting groups, a good way to practice this is to put 1/2" or 1" dots on a sheet of paper/cardboard at 100-200 yards; your goal is to put a bullet into the center of each one and you get only one shot.

Once you can do this, there are two other components to add to become skilled at long-range shooting: mastering the trajectory and mastering the wind. Trajectory can be determined by the computer given some inputs like bullet BC, sight over bore distance, and velocity, and it should be double-checked by shooting targets at various distances. But if you give the computer the right inputs, the data it generates will be correct. The wind is something that can take a lot of experience to get develop the skill for first-round hits, and there is no substitute for shooting in a variety of locations, wind conditions, seasons, etc.