Are all 870 12 gauge express barrels interchangable? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Are all 870 12 gauge express barrels interchangable?

drider
02-26-2010, 20:42
Hello all, I think I've asked this question before but currently I have an 870 Express with 4+1 tube with an 28" barrel, I found this deal at Midway since I was looking for a smaller barrel will this be compatible with my 870 express, I've gotten different responses; "Oh any 870 12 gauge barrels will interchange," "Only 870 Express barrels may interchange," so what is the real factual deal? here is the link of what I want to buy for my 870 express 4+1 tube 12 gauge. http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=813264

akgunnut
02-27-2010, 03:21
Hello all, I think I've asked this question before but currently I have an 870 Express with 4+1 tube with an 28" barrel, I found this deal at Midway since I was looking for a smaller barrel will this be compatible with my 870 express, I've gotten different responses; "Oh any 870 12 gauge barrels will interchange," "Only 870 Express barrels may interchange," so what is the real factual deal? here is the link of what I want to buy for my 870 express 4+1 tube 12 gauge. http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=813264

They should interchange.

I can put my 870 Express barrel on my 870 Wingmaster and same goes for the other way around.

wilson133
02-27-2010, 06:30
Regular 870s and Express 870s are supposed to be identical except the wood and the finish.

Fed Five Oh
02-27-2010, 07:25
Here is the deal with 870 barrels. Remington has used 2 different methods for keeping the magazine cap tight.

The first method uses a magazine cap detent that protrudes from the barrel guide ring and matches up wsith the serations on the bottom, outside of the magazine cap. As you tighten the cap, you hear a ratchett type sound. That is the serations going over the detent. This method of mag cap retention was/is used on older Remingtons.

The second method, normally found on Express and other newer models uses a system where the magazine spring retainer acts as the detent system that will match up with serations on the inside of the magazine cap in order to keep the magazine cap tight. There is no magazine cap detent on the barrel guide ring. You will see either a hole with no dent protruding on the barrel guide ring or possible no hole at all.

You may ask why should I care? The answer is that you must have something to keep the magazine cap tight, which keeps the barrel tight. You will damage either your barrel, but more likely the inside of the receiver if the barrel is loose.

You can put barrels with mag cap detents on the barrel guide ring on an 870 that uses the magazine spring retainer detent system with no problems. The barrel will not come loose. Plain English means there is usually no problem putting old 870 barrels on Express and other newer 870 models.

You can't put barrels that have no mag detent on the barrel guide ring on shotguns that do not use the magazine spring retainer detent system. There will not be any detent system there to keep the magazine cap from loosening. Plain English means there is usually a problem when putting new barrels on older Remingtons.

If you need barrels that use the older mag cap detent system that uses a detent on the barrel guide ring, but you can only find newer barrels that don't have the detent, you can purchase a detent and detent spring for less than $5.00. Drop the spring in the hole first, then the detent, then stake the detent in place. Problem solved.

byf43
02-27-2010, 09:47
Yes, you CAN put any Remington 870 barrel on any Remington 870 shotgun (taking into consideration you're using the same gauge!), EXCEPT for the following:

870 SuperMag. The barrel is different. (If I'm not mistaken, the 'tab' on the chamber end of the barrel is longer. The barrel ring may be in a different location, too.)
870 Special Field. The barrel ring is farther back on the barrel.

Now, the barrel nut/cap retention method (old vs. new) is a totally different issue.

However, you CAN swap barrels.

Fed Five Oh
02-27-2010, 10:02
Yep, I should have said shouldn't or should not, instead of can't.

drider
02-27-2010, 11:17
thanks guys on the issue with the barrel nut/cap.

drider
02-27-2010, 11:21
Lastly, I have this exact 870 Express; http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/shotguns/model-870/model-870-express.aspx

And I am buying this barrel; http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=813264

Will the barrel work with my magazine cap that has a ratchet sound? I'm as mechanical as a wheel when it comes to firearms.

EDIT: I just found out that I would have the magazine cap issue, so just canceled my order.

Fed Five Oh
02-27-2010, 11:37
Both old and new style will make the ratchet sound.

Take your magazine cap off. Look at the mag spring retainer as it currently sits in the end of the magazine tube (where the cap just came off). Is it black plastic with a slot in it? Do you see ridges on the mag spring retainer? If the answer is yes, then that barrel will be fine.

If the answer is no, then the answer is maybe. If your mag spring retainer is flat, smoth, metal, you will have to call and find out if the barrel they sell has the detent protruding from the barrel guide ring.

There has to be a system that will keep your mag cap from loosening.

Fed Five Oh
02-27-2010, 12:08
Here's you another place to order barrels. Large assortment and finishes:

http://www.tjgeneralstore.com/rem-bbl.htm

drider
02-27-2010, 23:03
Thank you for your help, I'm pretty sure it will work.

drider
02-28-2010, 01:31
Fed five oh, "Take your magazine cap off. Look at the mag spring retainer as it currently sits in the end of the magazine tube (where the cap just came off). Is it black plastic with a slot in it? Do you see ridges on the mag spring retainer? If the answer is yes, then that barrel will be fine."

I just followed what you said, and i think it is a positive match that the barrel I'm looking to buy http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=813264 will work accordingly. Again, I unscrew the magazine cap it has mini ridges/serrations, the end of the magazine tube also has a slot and ridges/serrations that get tighten up when tightened with the magazine cap. So it will work? I think so? thanks.

aippi
02-28-2010, 01:44
Why would you buy an after market barrel for $118 when you can buy a Remington Factory new 18.5 bead sight for $101 from Remington and even less on Gun Broker? The 18.5" parkerized 870 Police barrel is $99 on gun broker and it is made at the Remington factory in Ilion New York. There is also the 18.5" matte finish bead sight barrel on there for $118 and it is a Remington Factory barrel.

That is a better deal then putting a Mosberg made barrel on your Remington.

As for the detent ball on the barrel. It has nothing to do with your mag cap as you have an internal retention system and can use the same mag cap. It will simply push the detent ball down and out of the way. You do not need anything but the barrel.

drider
02-28-2010, 02:00
Hmm, okay so it will work no matter what condition? 870 12 gauge barrels will interchange? Can you please explain why does the remington website advertise the 870 12 gauge line of barrels with regular 870's and "Express," 870 12 gauge barrels, and why do Express labeled barrels cost more?

So will this fit?http://www.remingtoncountrystore.com/PartsProductCompact.aspx?catalogid=1&categoryid=3566&productid=3029&topcat=1038

or http://www.remingtoncountrystore.com/PartsProductCompact.aspx?catalogid=1&categoryid=3566&productid=2815&topcat=1038

Thanks for being patient with me, I'm always hesitant in buying things over on the web when I'm not sure with fitting issues. For this reason there is always a drag in returning items if it does not fit so i want it to fit right the first time and i think i can trust you all!

(J.D if you did paypal, credit card or more current ways of payment I would definitely be a customer of yours, seemingly you are a very informative person.)

aippi
02-28-2010, 22:27
The CC's is a Dave Ramsey thing and Pay pal will never get my business.

The barrels differ by finish only. Even the Special purpose barrels cost more and they have the exact same matte finish as on an Express barrel but they polish the steel before they apply it. In good light you can see the difference but $40 more for a smoother finish. Not in my world. I pay for function not looks.

MAX100
03-01-2010, 18:15
Get the barrel with the detent on the barrel ring because you might want to add a tube extension later on. You will need the detent if you do.

GC