What's a good target for sighting in iron sights? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What's a good target for sighting in iron sights?

Jeremy_K
02-26-2010, 21:05
I just bought my first AR. It's a Stag model 1 with detachable carry handle. I always shot expert with my M-16 in the USAF but it was only at 25m on different size silhouette targets. I shot the Stag at 50 yards and did pretty decent. At 100 yards I had a hard time focusing on the yellow targets I had with black crosshairs and a black diamond bullseye. These were standard printer paper size and I had a hard time seeing the center of the paper let alone the bullseye. I'd like to get proficient with open sights before I get into optics. I'd like to shoot at 100 and 200 yards. I just bought a spotting scope today to see where I'm hitting. Any ideas on targets for these ranges?

lawman800
02-27-2010, 00:40
Good luck with any regular sized targets at 100 yards and beyond. I can barely see the standard B-27 at 50 yards through peep sights to discern where I am hitting.

faawrenchbndr
02-27-2010, 07:28
I really like the Shoot-n-See targets,...great for busy ranges.

lawman800
02-27-2010, 12:05
None of the Shoot-N-C targets are big enough though.

Kentak
02-27-2010, 13:42
For iron sights you need a large enough target to "set" on the top of your front post and still see the damn thing unmagnified at 100 yards.

These are Birchwood Casey "Big Burst" targets. I would get either one of the two large 12 in circles pictured at the bottom. I would mount them on a large cardboard backer board spray painted orange to match the target background. Even at 100 yards, the black circle should be large enough to see clearly enough to put on the front post in your sight picture. These targets are not cheap, but once you get the sights zeroed you can switch to something cheaper or homemade. You could also get a package of the adhesive "repair" circles to get a little more mileage out of the targets.

These can be ordered online if your local store doesn't carry them. Just google "birchwood casey targets."

http://www.birchwoodcasey.com/sport/images/Products/36348_lrg.jpg

Depending on your philosophy about proper sight pictures, you can either place the big circle on the front post, or try to place the smaller orange center on the post.

wrenrj1
02-27-2010, 13:49
do a search for a 25M military target. I have one but it's on my other computer.

Novocaine
02-27-2010, 15:15
I do it Russian-style: A4 black rectangular sheet of paper placed horizontally against the white background. Point of aim is the middle of the lower edge. Good luck.

coverdog
02-27-2010, 15:43
Orange round stick-on on a white background.

vettely
02-27-2010, 15:44
WalMart has some nice "shoot and see" targets made specifically for zeroing a rifle. We just used them yesterday at the range.

SIGShooter
02-27-2010, 15:54
I just bought my first AR. It's a Stag model 1 with detachable carry handle. I always shot expert with my M-16 in the USAF but it was only at 25m on different size silhouette targets. I shot the Stag at 50 yards and did pretty decent. At 100 yards I had a hard time focusing on the yellow targets I had with black crosshairs and a black diamond bullseye. These were standard printer paper size and I had a hard time seeing the center of the paper let alone the bullseye. I'd like to get proficient with open sights before I get into optics. I'd like to shoot at 100 and 200 yards. I just bought a spotting scope today to see where I'm hitting. Any ideas on targets for these ranges?

Standard IDPA Card Board Target. I like to take the brightest white printer paper you can get and cut out a circle that will fit the COM of the IDPA target.

At 100-150 yards I never have a problem seeing it.

After a while, you will be able to start cutting that circle down in diameter a bit. I'm at the point now that at 100 yards I don't use anything other than the standard brown IDPA target.

Just some FYI on the printer paper...The brightest paper usually runs a couple dollars more and when affixing your cut out circle, use paste and not glue.