Newbie to higher quality knives..question about Benchmade. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Newbie to higher quality knives..question about Benchmade.

gtalum1996
02-26-2010, 22:46
I, like a lot of guys, have carried a pocket knife since I was in about the sixth grade, but have recently developed an interest in higher quality knives for possible self defense carry. I would actually hate to have to use a knife instead of my glock in a self defense situation, but if I happen to be in one of those places where I cannot carry a gun, and my knife is a last resort, I want a good one.

I have had no formal training in self defense with a knife, except what I have read in books. Unfortunately I do not have the money for such training as of yet. One day maybe. I do believe, however, having one would be better than nothing at all. Anyhow, enough with my rambling and I will get to my question.

I am considering the Benchmade blackbox rift, stryker, or Presidio. Maybe even the Griptilian. I have a mini grip as an edc, but might want the larger one.

All of these fit my hand fine, and I am just curious if any one would be better suited as a dedicated true self defense knife than the other? Does one offer any specific advantage over the others?

Also noticed the Presidio comes in an "ultra" model which is in 440c versus 154cm or D2. It is considerably cheaper. Do you believe the 440c steel is fine, or are the others steels gonna be that much better to justify the extra expense? If I go with the Presidio, I am leaning toward the "ultra" model.

Any opinions would be appreciated, since like I said I am pretty new to the more expensive knives. Just trying to learn. Thanks for any input.

Unistat
02-27-2010, 08:07
I believe 440c is fine for a SD knife. I like 154cm for EDC because it keeps an edge through quite a lot of use. Since a dedicated SD knife won't be seeing daily use, 440c is fine. It honestly isn't bad for EDC, it just requires a little more maintenance. Just make sure you stay away from 440a or 440b. If it just says "440" with no letter, it's probably 440a.

polizei1
02-27-2010, 08:29
I just picked up a Benchmade 9500, so far its a great knife. You can really tell the quality, but it is expensive. You get what you pay for though.

-Cody

mitchshrader
02-27-2010, 09:15
Use it and lose it. I've got disposable quality knives for EDC, and own 3 of 'em. ymmv

polizei1
02-27-2010, 11:29
How in the world do you lose your EDC knives? Are you serious?

-Cody

gtalum1996
02-27-2010, 16:48
I believe 440c is fine for a SD knife. I like 154cm for EDC because it keeps an edge through quite a lot of use. Since a dedicated SD knife won't be seeing daily use, 440c is fine. It honestly isn't bad for EDC, it just requires a little more maintenance. Just make sure you stay away from 440a or 440b. If it just says "440" with no letter, it's probably 440a.

Precisely my line of thinking in considering the 440C ultra model. Thanks for the heads up on the A and B versions as well. Was completely unaware.

gtalum1996
02-27-2010, 16:51
I just picked up a Benchmade 9500, so far its a great knife. You can really tell the quality, but it is expensive. You get what you pay for though.

-Cody

I would LOVE a 9500, but although it is legal to own autos in Ga, it is a no no to carry own unless you are LEO or EMT or Fireman. Ga knife laws, as well as firearm laws, tend to be very vague and subject to LEO interpretation, but the general consensus is do no carry autos. Congrats on yours, however!

polizei1
02-27-2010, 18:27
Ohio laws is also very vague, and basically it comes down to officer discretion. Really per the law in Ohio, anything can be considered a deadly weapon, even a pencil that's concealed. Pretty stupid IMO. However, being a Marine MP, and also an EMT, I doubt I would receive punishment, though nothing is certain...

Even if you don't want to or can't carry an auto, there are plenty of other great knives out there! Search around, you'll find a good one.

Also, not sure...but if you know someone who is military/LEO/EMS they get a 30% discount from Benchmade.

-Cody

Unistat
02-27-2010, 19:04
Also, not sure...but if you know someone who is military/LEO/EMS they get a 30% discount from Benchmade.

So you should get 90% off right?

-30% LEO (MP)
-30% Military (USMC)
-30% EMT

;)

gtalum1996
02-27-2010, 19:34
Ohio laws is also very vague, and basically it comes down to officer discretion. Really per the law in Ohio, anything can be considered a deadly weapon, even a pencil that's concealed. Pretty stupid IMO. However, being a Marine MP, and also an EMT, I doubt I would receive punishment, though nothing is certain...

Even if you don't want to or can't carry an auto, there are plenty of other great knives out there! Search around, you'll find a good one.

-Cody

Mmmm. Need to check into that. My brother is a NRO. Thanks again.

polizei1
02-27-2010, 21:33
Yea, I wish I got basically free Benchmade knives...I assure you my collection would be much larger than the one knife I currently own. LOL

-Cody

Glock2008
02-28-2010, 00:22
I have the Presidio 520 knife in 154CM, its been a great knife as are the other 2 Benchmades I own.

w4004p
02-28-2010, 10:07
ok, i know your question was about BM's, but you sound like you'd be open to some advice. i own several BM's, i carry (atleast) one, daily. my wife needed a SD/EDC knife. i was a little low on fundage, so i didn't get her a BM. i bought her a Kershaw Blur and (for what you're wanting) that is the EXACT same thing i would recommend to you (so long as assisted openere, not autos, are legal where you live).

the thumb stud on her Blur is more pronounced than the one on my BM710 which makes it very easy to engage. the knife opens hard, locks up tight, doesn't weigh much, and comes with a VERY nice edge. the edge is simple to maintain, also, due to it's basic shape (no recurve, tanto, etc).

i LOVE Benchmades, but you really might wanna take a hard look at the Kershaw Blur. plus, you'd save yourself 40bux :cool:

Morris
02-28-2010, 22:53
I trust my personal and professional life to Benchmade blades.

gtalum1996
03-01-2010, 10:26
Thanks for all the great info guys. I ended up snagging a 910BT at a pretty good price on Bladeforums. It is in 154cm, black, with tanto blade.

gtalum1996
03-01-2010, 10:32
ok, i know your question was about BM's, but you sound like you'd be open to some advice. i own several BM's, i carry (atleast) one, daily. my wife needed a SD/EDC knife. i was a little low on fundage, so i didn't get her a BM. i bought her a Kershaw Blur and (for what you're wanting) that is the EXACT same thing i would recommend to you (so long as assisted openere, not autos, are legal where you live).

the thumb stud on her Blur is more pronounced than the one on my BM710 which makes it very easy to engage. the knife opens hard, locks up tight, doesn't weigh much, and comes with a VERY nice edge. the edge is simple to maintain, also, due to it's basic shape (no recurve, tanto, etc).

i LOVE Benchmades, but you really might wanna take a hard look at the Kershaw Blur. plus, you'd save yourself 40bux :cool:

Thanks for this info, been thinking of getting my wife a knife and I believe this may be the one!