Shaka, when the walls fell. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Shaka, when the walls fell.

Fred Hansen
02-26-2010, 23:50
Discuss. :supergrin:

wprebeck
02-27-2010, 00:16
Discuss. :supergrin:

Not a big ST fan...it's Ok, but SW is more to my liking.

.44 magnum
02-27-2010, 02:00
Darmok, and Jalad... at Tanagra!:supergrin:

wjv
02-27-2010, 02:08
Lewinsky, when the blue dress revealed . . .

Fred Hansen
02-27-2010, 06:43
:supergrin:

Did you guys catch the reference on Glenn Beck's radio show on Friday? It was hysterically funny.

Bikenut
02-27-2010, 06:49
Ah yes... Darmok and Jalad.. at Tanagra!

Obama on the campaign trail and "Fundamentally transforming America!"

Too bad Capt. Kirk figured out the key to the different language styles a lot faster than the American public figured out Obama's cryptic language style.

The Cavalry
02-27-2010, 08:56
"duckintheface, his wallet emptied by carbon taxes..."

wprebeck
02-27-2010, 11:43
Ah yes... Darmok and Jalad.. at Tanagra!

Obama on the campaign trail and "Fundamentally transforming America!"

Too bad Capt. Kirk figured out the key to the different language styles a lot faster than the American public figured out Obama's cryptic language style.

Um...wasn't that Picard as captain?

JFrame
02-27-2010, 11:52
It was among my favorite ST:TNG episodes (along with "The Inner Light," "Relics," and "Hollow Pursuits") -- but the internal logic in the creation of the Tamarian culture always bothered me. They were only able to speak in analogies -- but how do you develop analogies if you don't have a language to give them context in the first place? :dunno:

Bikenut
02-27-2010, 12:07
Um...wasn't that Picard as captain?

So many episodes... so little memory... woe is me.

ElevatedThreat
02-27-2010, 16:24
I'd like to say I understood that episode, but for me it was all, like,

"Rai and Jiri at Lungha. Rai of Luwani, Luwani under two moons. Giri, or Ubaya. Ubaya of crossroads, at Lungha. Lungha, her sky gray."

and then

"Kadir beneath Mo Moteh,"

which made me very

"Zinda, his face black, his eyes red!"

-ET

Rabid Rabbit
02-27-2010, 17:12
It was among my favorite ST:TNG episodes (along with "The Inner Light," "Relics," and "Hollow Pursuits") -- but the internal logic in the creation of the Tamarian culture always bothered me. They were only able to speak in analogies -- but how do you develop analogies if you don't have a language to give them context in the first place? :dunno:

Wasn't that episode recorded during the writers strike?

Cavalry Doc
02-27-2010, 17:17
"duckintheface, his wallet emptied by carbon taxes..."

That one, obviously, does not pay taxes.

wprebeck
02-27-2010, 17:33

Unless you're talking about a writer's strike I'm not familiar with, no. The last episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation was aired in 1994. I was a year out of high school, and can't say that I would've paid attention to a writer's strike.

But, it definitely wasn't written during the most recent one, a few years back.

JFrame
02-27-2010, 17:38

I can't tell -- the writers' strike was in 1988, and "Darmok" aired in 1991...That's not to say that episode wasn't written during the strike, and produced much later.

Perhaps some intrepid Trekker on this forum can let us know for sure. :)

Fred Hansen
02-28-2010, 17:07
Judging from the thread drift--on an admittedly vague thread to begin with--apparently I was the only one on this forum that heard and/or caught the "Darmok" reference on Glenn Beck's Friday radio program. Shaka, when the walls fell, indeed.

Beck used the "Darmok" references to mock Olbermann's pathetically over-the-top histrionic attempt to conflate a doctor/family conference for end of life medical care (which is what we have now) with the "death-panels" that Olbermann claims we need under ObamaCare.

In his dripping with pathos, and inadvertantly mock-heroic diatribe, Olbermann began by saying that his father had recently asked him to kill him. Olbermann then went on to graphically describe the truly sad and unfortunate medical afflictions that had laid his father so low that he would ask his own son to end his suffering. And of course Olbermann being the pathetic emotion junkie he is, he had to riddle his little melodrama with things like references to Sisyphus in order to assure that us "little people" would truly be able to grasp the sheer magnitude of what the Great Olby was trying to beat into our tiny skulls.

Hence Beck et al. using the phrases "Shaka, when the walls fell!" and "Darmok and Gelad at Tenagra!". To mockingly describe how frustrating it must be for the Great Olby to even attempt to communicate with us mere Earthlings. It was also obvious that the Great Olby is oblivious to the fact that a MessiahCare death-panel would have put his father down like a distempered mutt, long before his father would have to beg for death to come. A.I.D.S. Abortion, Euthanasia... Don't Liberals Just Kill Ya?

For those unfamiliar with the Star Trek: Next Generation episode "Darmok" follow this link: "Darmok" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darmok) it's a wikipedia entry about the episode, and may lend a little bit of insight. I fear though that this is one of those situations where one needed 'to be there' for it to be as funny as it was in real time. :embarassed:

Carry on. :supergrin:

DonGlock26
02-28-2010, 17:17
It makes sense now, Fred. :beer:

The funny thing is, poor people would just be put to sleep like a dog, while Olbermann could have paid to keep his father alive.

Fred Hansen
02-28-2010, 17:29
It makes sense now, Fred. :beer:

The funny thing is, poor people would just be put to sleep like a dog, while Olbermann could have paid to keep his father alive.I'm not sure that's true. Look at the efforts the Premier of Newfoundland and Labrador had to make just to get his heart repaired. He had to skip the waiting-line-of-death in Canuckistania, and come to the U.S.A. for his care.

When Hussein is finished destroying our country, where exactly do we get to go for our care? :dunno:

DonGlock26
02-28-2010, 17:41
I'm not sure that's true. Look at the efforts the Premier of Newfoundland and Labrador had to make just to get his heart repaired. He had to skip the waiting-line-of-death in Canuckistania, and come to the U.S.A. for his care.

When Hussein is finished destroying our country, where exactly do we get to go for our care? :dunno:

India or other Third World countries that will be more free than the UssrSA.

Fred Hansen
02-28-2010, 17:55
India or other Third World countries that will be more free than the UssrSA.As they say in certain parts of rural New Hampshire: "Ehya, that's some comfort."

:shocked: :faint:

JFrame
02-28-2010, 19:05
Judging from the thread drift--on an admittedly vague thread to begin with--apparently I was the only one on this forum that heard and/or caught the "Darmok" reference on Glenn Beck's Friday radio program. Shaka, when the walls fell, indeed.

Beck used the "Darmok" references to mock Olbermann's pathetically over-the-top histrionic attempt to conflate a doctor/family conference for end of life medical care (which is what we have now) with the "death-panels" that Olbermann claims we need under ObamaCare.

Carry on. :supergrin:

Fred -- thanks for that explanation! I'm sorry I was one of those "thread-drifters," due to my ignorance of the context. That'll l'arn me to miss a day of Beck... :supergrin:

Anyway, your recap of Beck's "Darmok" segment had me chuckling! :supergrin:

Suffice to say I grok you now -- or is that mixing in too many allusions??? :dunno:

The Cavalry
02-28-2010, 19:16
Suffice to say I grok you now -- or is that mixing in too many allusions??? :dunno:

"Mirab, his sails unfurled."

Fred Hansen
02-28-2010, 21:58
Fred -- thanks for that explanation! I'm sorry I was one of those "thread-drifters," due to my ignorance of the context. That'll l'arn me to miss a day of Beck... :supergrin:

Anyway, your recap of Beck's "Darmok" segment had me chuckling! :supergrin:

.No worries water brother. :cheers:

R.A.H. is the man! :cool:

gwalchmai
03-01-2010, 06:39
Seka and the Hedgehog, in LA.

Fred Hansen
03-01-2010, 16:31
Seka and the Hedgehog, in LA.She made hedgehog pr0n???

WTF? :shocked: :faint: :rofl:

Fred Hansen
03-31-2012, 12:20
Bath Tub Boy goes swirling down the drain... (http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=18782874&posted=1#post18782874)

:uglylol: :uglylol: :uglylol: :uglylol:

The Machinist
03-31-2012, 12:44
http://files.redux.com/images/b39ccacb45533ab8a662217a1f157a3a/raw

Fred Hansen
03-31-2012, 12:45
http://files.redux.com/images/b39ccacb45533ab8a662217a1f157a3a/rawOMFG!!!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

gwalchmai
03-31-2012, 15:36
She made hedgehog pr0n???

WTF? :shocked: :faint: :rofl:Think about it... :wavey:

Fred Hansen
04-01-2012, 03:50
Think about it... :wavey:Always!

Hedley Lamarr: My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Taggart: God darnit, Mr. Lamarr, you use your tongue prettier than a twenty dollar whore.

:rofl: :rofl::rofl: :rofl:

gwalchmai
04-01-2012, 04:43
http://www.joeydevilla.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/ron-de-jeremy-1.jpg

eracer
04-01-2012, 05:07
My name is Ron Jeremy, and I love spaghetti.

certifiedfunds
04-01-2012, 08:25
I am completely lost and its probably for the best.

Fred Hansen
04-01-2012, 09:14
:uglylol: :uglylol: :uglylol: :uglylol:

steveksux
04-01-2012, 09:18
Beldar, at Remulak, when the garthok was narfled.

Randy

Fred Hansen
04-02-2012, 12:06
Obama Speech - Teleprompter Goes Out - YouTube

The Machinist
04-02-2012, 13:21
Shaka, when the walls fell.

Obama, when the teleprompter failed.

Fred Hansen
04-02-2012, 13:32
Shaka, when the walls fell.

Obama, when the teleprompter failed.:supergrin: