GA gun law (car) [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : GA gun law (car)

rns-glock37
02-27-2010, 06:08
i'm a SC resident with a ccw license. i will be traveling through GA in a couple of weeks. my question is am i right to interpret that a person can have a loaded firearm in their vehicle? in SC a person can, with or with out, a cc permit have a loaded firearm in their vehicle as long as it's in the glove box, center console, etc. my understanding is that GA law as far a vehicle is concerned is very similar. thanks for any clarification

9mmVagabond
02-28-2010, 03:17
i'm a SC resident with a ccw license. i will be traveling through GA in a couple of weeks. my question is am i right to interpret that a person can have a loaded firearm in their vehicle? in SC a person can, with or with out, a cc permit have a loaded firearm in their vehicle as long as it's in the glove box, center console, etc. my understanding is that GA law as far a vehicle is concerned is very similar. thanks for any clarification

Georgia does not honor the South Carolina Permit.
I have checked a few sites concerning Georgia gun laws when you don't have a valid Georgia Firearms License.

O.C.G.A. 20.4.1. Firearms License:
The law does not permit, outside of a person's home, motor vehicle, or place of business, the concealed carrying of a pistol, revolver, or concealable firearm unless he/she has a valid pistol license issued under code section 16-11-129, and then the firearm must be in a holster, hipgrip or any other similar device; in which event the weapon may be concealed by a person's clothing, handbag, briefcase or other closed container.

Carrying on the person in a concealed manner other than as provided above is not permitted and constitutes the offense of carrying a concealed weapon.

The law does not forbid any person who is not ineligible for a firearms license from transporting a loaded firearm in any private passenger motor vehicle in an open manner or in the glove compartment console or similar compartment of the vehicle.

If you would like to check further into the Georgia gun laws,
try www.georgiapacking.org and www.georgiacarry.org/

GT4494
02-28-2010, 07:51
Title 16, Chapter 11, Section 126
(c) This Code section shall not permit, outside of his or her home, motor vehicle, or place of business, the
concealed carrying of a pistol, revolver, or concealable firearm by any person unless that person has on his
or her person a valid license issued under Code Section 16-11-129 and the pistol, revolver, or firearm may
only be carried in a shoulder holster, waist belt holster, any other holster, hipgrip, or any other similar device,
in which event the weapon may be concealed by the person's clothing, or a handbag, purse, attache case,
briefcase, or other closed container. Carrying on the person in a concealed manner other than as provided in
this subsection shall not be permitted and shall be a violation of this Code section.
No Permit License Is needed to carry the firearm inside your Motor Vehicle either openly or concealed.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/georgia.pdf

Take it off and set it on the passenger seat.

FourthPointOfContact
10-29-2012, 09:02
I hope I'll be forgiven for a necropost, but in the interests of accuracy and for anyone searching for GA laws this should probably be updated.

With the passage of Senate Bill 308, much of OCGA 16-11-126 (http://www.georgiapacking.org/GaCode/?title=16&chapter=11&section=126) was rewritten. As of 04 June 2010, it is no longer a requirement to carry in a holster (highly recommended though).

The long version can be found here. (http://www.georgiapacking.org/GaCode/?title=16&chapter=11&section=126)