BOHICA MK-III .50BMG on AR Lower [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : BOHICA MK-III .50BMG on AR Lower

watsoncb
02-27-2010, 16:10
I was thinking about purchasing BOHICA's .50 BMG for my .223 AR Lower (http://www.bohicaarms.com/).

Has anyone tried out BOHICA's MK-III .50BMG on a standard AR lower? The claim is you can.

Jumper
02-27-2010, 16:45
Bend
Over
Here
It
Comes
Again

mboylan
02-27-2010, 17:18
Yeah. Best deal out there is the AR-50. They go for a little north of $3000. Cheap surplus ammo is down to about $3 a round.

From what I have heard there are issues with the BOHICA and you pretty much have to build a lower for them yourself. New trigger group. Definitely have to respring so you can set off those really tough .50 primers. You're going to want a new stock with a really good recoil pad, ect. To me it would be worth the extra 50% for a 33 lb .50 that will be more accurate, safer and more comfortable to shoot.

I really do question about whether there is a truly safe .50 BMG AR upper out there and I am not willing to risk my body parts to find out.

Jumper
02-27-2010, 20:23
Watson -

I didn't mean to infer anything about the rifle conversion in your post. I don't know anything about it. However I would be hesitant to buy anything from a company that calls themselves BOHICA. Unless there is some other origin for the name that I don't know about it is the acronym I posted in my reply. YMMV

lawman800
02-28-2010, 00:25
You better make sure your lower is multi-caliber capable.

space_weazel
02-28-2010, 01:45
Go get one if that's what you want.
Having handled one they are of good quality, but they are the cheapest BMG upper, I went a little higher on the food chain for mine, but there are a lot of happy BOHICA customers out there, and the guy running the company seems to me to be a really stand up guy.

Your lower/ any lower will happily take the BMG upper but you will need to remove the buffer and spring, and the bolt stop, or I understand they offer a modular type of bolt stop so you can swap back and forth easily. I opted for a stand alone lower to go with my upper.

There is nothing inherently unsafe about a AR upper in 50 BMG, as long as its built well it will contain the cartridge. and if they were unsafe they would not be on the market due to the immense liability.

For a little more cash you can get in to the ZelCustoms, Safety Harbor, Serbu, ALS, and Ferret uppers getting more expensive in that order. The SH is cool because it offers a 5 round detachable magazine as well.

I have done a lot of research about the available uppers and complete rifles recently as I have been building mine so I am happy to answer questions and direct you to information, though you may need to PM me.

space_weazel
02-28-2010, 01:46
you better make sure your lower is multi-caliber capable.

why???????

watsoncb
02-28-2010, 09:07
Thanks for the info!

mboylan
02-28-2010, 12:03
After the ALS and BOHICA Kabooms, I have had my doubts. Yes, they may be ammo related in some way. The BOHICA Kaboom was with light loads and may have been due to long necks. Still is was an out of battery detonation. I heard that the ALS Kaboom was a design flaw. I do have quite a bit of respect for 220 grains of slow burning nitro powder locked up in a chamber.

I guess, as with anything, if you really know what you are doing, it is safe.