Bow Hunting? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Bow Hunting?

GreyEclipse
02-28-2010, 01:46
I'm interested in bow hunting. I know absolutely nothing about it.
So if anyone knows anything please share.

Also, what would be a good decent priced bow to start practicing with?

noway
02-28-2010, 15:43
try archerytalk for some archery suggestions, but you need to clarify what bow hunting you want todo?

Training Wheels :wavey: ( compounds ) or tradition ( longbow recurves ) or crossbows.

Typically compounds would be the best choice to start at. Easy to get use to archery, pretty accurate and quicker to master or become efficient at.Bows new can be anywhere from 200-800 dollars fully outfitted.

if I where you, I would not buy a bow, I would look for Archery sponsor club or clinic. Up in gainesville FL, Easton hasa complex suited just for this. It the Easton Newberry complex.

http://www.eastonnewberrysportscomplex.com/

I would search for something similar in your area.

Also most states hograms have Archery clinic or labs. The same holds true at BassProshop.I would attend a few before making my 1st purchase.

And lastly, you will have to practice and practice and then practice some more to be confident and effective as a hunter.

357glocker
02-28-2010, 20:07
Depending on your budget will depend alot on the type of bow you can get. It's a good idea to try and shoot several types to see which you like the best.

This past year was my first year archery hunting. It was difficult to say the least. I told several friends that I understood why man invented guns! Don't let the frustrations of a 1st year hunt get you down, learn from them.

GreyEclipse
02-28-2010, 22:23
Thanks noway. I'll try to looking in my area.
A female bow hunter goes to our church so I think I'll start by asking her.

Thanks for the heads up, 357glocker.
I wont be giving up that easy.:cool:

cdhmiel
03-01-2010, 13:42
Bow hunting makes you a much more patient hunter. I can definitely say that the aspects of bow hunting that I've learned have carried over into my gun hunting. I would recommend trying out a Matthew's solocam if you can afford it. Matthew's has come out with many newer models since the original solocam, but for an older bow its worth every penny.

Maybe also you may want to try looking into crossbows. A lot of states are starting to legalize the use of crossbows during a big game season. As long as you don't get your thumb in the way of the string, you'll have loads of fun.

gruntmedik
03-01-2010, 17:58
My suggestion for you is to find an archery pro-shop in your area, and be properly fitted. It will save you a lot of headache down the road. An ill fitting bow will cause you to learn incorrect technique, and as in everything else, bad habits are a bear to unlearn.

GreyEclipse
03-01-2010, 22:24
My suggestion for you is to find an archery pro-shop in your area, and be properly fitted. It will save you a lot of headache down the road. An ill fitting bow will cause you to learn incorrect technique, and as in everything else, bad habits are a bear to unlearn.

Will do and I'm sure that there are some around here.