Could someone help with serial number [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Could someone help with serial number

LoadedTech
02-28-2010, 13:18
I had just picked up this Ruger Security Six 357 Mag. SS 6" and was looking for some help on age. The serial # is 160-722xx. Also what would be the value of it? I had a revolver guy, I see at our range often, look it over and we cleaned it a bit and oiled, shot great. He said the action was tight and it was barely broke in, looked great over all. He's always shooting his 44, so I figured I'd ask him. Here are a few pics of my new piece.

http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/ac197/gmspazz/goodsecsix.jpg

http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/ac197/gmspazz/secsix.jpg

LeMat
02-28-2010, 17:53
Looks to be mid to late 1985.

Does it have box and docs? I've seen LNIB specimens going between $450.00 and $500.00.

LoadedTech
02-28-2010, 20:28
It didn't come with either. Those prices are what I am seeing on line for them. I figured the serial number info would be online somewhere but I couldnt find crap, I guess I will put a call in to ruger tomorrow to find out. I appreciate the info :wavey:

LeMat
02-28-2010, 21:08
I figured the serial number info would be online somewhere but I couldnt find crap..........

You can find it here...........
http://www.ruger.com/service/productHistory.html

That's where I went to check for ya. ;)

DJ Niner
02-28-2010, 22:13
A good solid shooter, right there, and a near-perfect woodswalking gun, as well. Looks to be in fine shape (near as I can tell from the photos). Good purchase!

LoadedTech
03-01-2010, 17:21
Thanks again LeMat, I was on their web site about a dozen times and couldn't find it for the life of me, obviously. Thanks again!

Dj Niner, it shot well with the 357 mag rounds. Price wise shooting 38 spl. would be better. I think for the price, I did well with it. I do wish it were the 4" barrel. It has a few spots on it that will most likely rub out, and 2 nicks that most likely won't. It is a 25y/o gun so I won't complain.

DJ Niner
03-01-2010, 23:40

Dj Niner, it shot well with the 357 mag rounds. Price wise shooting 38 spl. would be better. I think for the price, I did well with it. I do wish it were the 4" barrel. It has a few spots on it that will most likely rub out, and 2 nicks that most likely won't. It is a 25y/o gun so I won't complain.A little wear adds character and demonstrates that it's not a safe queen! The 4" might be slightly more convenient to carry, but that 6" sight radius will be appreciated on the longer shots. I actually used a 6" Security-Six early in my PPC competition "career", with very good results. Nothin' sweeter than beating a couple of snobs who were using Colt Pythons, with my 'ol Ruger Sec-6. :supergrin:

LeMat
03-02-2010, 01:46
Thanks again LeMat, I was on their web site about a dozen times and couldn't find it for the life of me, obviously. Thanks again!
Not a problem! After Ruger changed their website a while back, it took me a half hour trying to find it again. :faint:

I'd rather have one of those Sec. 6's than a GP100. That's a fine lookin' one!

17z
03-03-2010, 21:01
I just bought a Ruger Security Six with tax and everything including the MANDATORY handgun registration thats been on our books since March 1935, $304.00 even. Cleaned it up,shot it today down a farm and it is a 3 inch stainless and shoots still very well. Has adjustable rear sights also. 17z