May need a vest when going to the range [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : May need a vest when going to the range

Glock30 Guy
02-28-2010, 17:04
I went to the range today to continue breaking in my new 45 and as I'm signing the paperwork to use the range, a young woman walks in and asks the owner what she needed to do to fire her weapon. She then pulls it out of her purse, I saw no holster, drops it on the glass show case, barrel pointed right at him. He kept his cool and grabs the gun before something happened. Dead silence from the 4-5 of us there. Then she reaches back into her bag and pulls out 20 or so loose 9mm rounds and asks him how to load the gun. Holy smokes. I figure he is never gonna turn her loose in the range. Boy was I wrong.
I'm inside shooting and the next thing I know, she is two stalls away from me. One of the employees decided to help her with her learning curve and that made me feel better. After hearing him say "Take your finger off the trigger!" 5-6 times, I decided it was time to go. She kept turning my way with the gun pointed near me rather than down range and more than once he physically pushed the gun back towards something not alive. I suggested they practice some dry firing, hoping it would buy me some time. I understand that everyone needs to learn how to use their new gun safely but this was just plain scary. She had no permit and was just keeping the gun in her home. No training ever, before today. I was going to say something to the owner but decided that he was already doing more than most. He offered his employee at no added cost to teach her some of the basics. He knew my time was cut short because of this and he didn't charge me for the visit.

WayaX
02-28-2010, 17:47
You know, I'm often tempted to wear a vest when I go to some of the more popular ranges in my area. The logic behind it isn't too bizarre either. You wear a helmet when you ride a bike, right? If you do something dangerous, you take precaution to keep yourself safe.

PaulMason
02-28-2010, 17:51
There are a lot of new gun owners out there. That is why there is an ammo shortage and gun prices are up.

hamster
02-28-2010, 18:01
Yeah, I've wondered about this too. I'm amazed at some of the yahoos they let out on the range. The other day, a customer a few stalls down from me had to call the range-master over for help with his rented pistol. Turns out the yahoo had somehow managed to load the bullets backwards in the magazine!!!

Wow.

BurkGlocker
02-28-2010, 18:16
I've had my oldest daughter point my loaded 9mm in my face with her finger on the trigger, and the other day, my dad swept me with his AK. It was unloaded, but I didnt know that, but it still caused a small stain in my underroos. I laid into his rear like I was the daddy, but the kick in the butt was when he decided to pop off a full 30 round mag from the hip like he was something. I got onto him again telling him that he was going to get our asses reported for rapid fire and unsafe firearm control. Thankfully, the range officer came down to where we were and got onto him as well. Felt good to get his goat for once. I dont think I am going to be taking him to the range with me anymore... I really thought that he wouldve known better than to act like that with his weapons...

BG :patriot:

G22Dude
02-28-2010, 21:26
I'm enjoying range visits less these days. You want new shooters, but you wish they would take a safety course, and not a do it yourself thing

Brain Virus
03-01-2010, 17:05
I noticed some idiot at the range on sat with his glock pointing in my general direction. The slide was open and his finger was off the trigger, but still, i wasn't pleased......

:steamed:

cowboywannabe
03-01-2010, 17:16
wearing body armor when shooting at a public range is a good idea.

mitchshrader
03-01-2010, 18:33
I only have ONE public range I've not already sworn off on, and that's just because it's so small I can pick my shooting times and dodge anybody I mistrust.

About 2 years ago I started seeing ditzy folks waving guns about in unsafe fashion as an increasing trend. Idiots we've always had, but they got THICK....and I stopped using public ranges almost entirely.

And for the record, some of the unsafe gun handling was done by folks collecting a paycheck for carrying one. Not, I'll hasten to say, the big half, but plenty enough to notice.

People who aren't able to easily comprehend the deadly part of deadly force, and use safe gun handleing procedures in advance by policy, are emotionally conflicted. They have made a rational decision but have emotional compunctions.

These individuals are fighting with themselves because they're not yet EMOTIONALLY convinced that the use of deadly force is the correct answer to some questions.

Nor that they'd be capable of it. That latter one bothers me, cause if a person straps on a gun and it ain't chocolate, they better be ready to use it as needed.

I've said for years that adult behavior isn't something to assume by counting birthdays. Adult behavior is either obvious, or not present. I'd like to see a national safety course that worked for CCW qualification in any state, as well as Puerto Rico, Guam, and Washington D.C. An EXTENSIVE course, with handling a dozen different weapons a big slice of it.

OR I can just do my practice in the woods, cheaper, safer, and more conveniently.

MacG22
03-03-2010, 14:19
wearing body armor when shooting at a public range is a good idea.

I wouldn't have agreed with this before but my experiences have shown that I was wrong.

I avoid public/indoor ranges as much as possible as much for the carelessness you see there as much for the dangerous air quality.

But last week I was in Denver working and had to drop by the range to make sure some new rounds would work in my carry gun. I wouldn't be home for a week, so I braved the range.

Half way through a target I get a bit of dust in my eye. Not much, but didn't fit into the "things than should happen at a range". So I put my gun down and step back and see a guy and his friend arguing and a range guy coming in...who threw them out. Turns out he was reloading with his finger on the trigger, gun pointed up, and fired a round off into the ceiling above my head.

I was so damn mad. High-tailed out of there, even though they were thrown out. I have a firm policy of only tempting the gods once a day.

PaulMason
03-03-2010, 17:46
I only have ONE public range I've not already sworn off on, and that's just because it's so small I can pick my shooting times and dodge anybody I mistrust.

I do the same thing.
The question is - where is it safe to shoot!

Motown Fire
03-03-2010, 18:42
Stories like this is why I stopped going to public ranges. I used to spend more time paying attention to the others around me rather than shooting my weapon.

It is funny to stand back and watch people shoot for a few minutes. It's amazing how many people are fairly clueless about fire arm safety and how to shoot correctly.

Morgo
03-03-2010, 18:59
Turns out the yahoo had somehow managed to load the bullets backwards in the magazine!!!

Wow.

Must have thought he hired a H&K pistol! :rofl::rofl:

Taykaim
03-03-2010, 19:09
When you guys talk about "public" ranges, what kinds of ranges do you mean? Also, what are you referring to as the alternative?

Aside from ranges on private land, or private agency ranges, what else is there?

High Altitude
03-03-2010, 19:28
When you guys talk about "public" ranges, what kinds of ranges do you mean? Also, what are you referring to as the alternative?

Aside from ranges on private land, or private agency ranges, what else is there?

I shoot on public national forest land.

sciolist
03-03-2010, 21:41
I shoot on public national forest land.

That, and BLM. Move west.

voodoomanx
03-03-2010, 21:52
I shoot at a private range. All members are background checked and they must also pass a review of safe gun handling.

We don't have any of the pay to play ranges up here. I am glad, as they sound like a carnival ride.

W4CNG
03-03-2010, 22:12
When I go to my Membership Range I always ask "Where are the Noobies?" I will wait to take a lane in the other room from them. Two sets of lanes with 6 lanes in each side and concrete walls between. I prefer to shoot with known good handling folks that are regulars and have not had Safety Issues at the range.

Dalton Wayne
03-03-2010, 22:14
I do wear a vest to the range, why take a chance.
Regards
DW

Hedo1
03-05-2010, 14:07
I often wear my concealable vest at the range.