SA Milspec 4 inch for carry? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : SA Milspec 4 inch for carry?

mainegunner
02-28-2010, 16:16
Do any of you have experience with the springfield mil-spec 45 with a 4 inch barrel? Thinking about getting a 1911 45 for carry. Something basic but reliable.

sureshot
02-28-2010, 16:56
just got a sa milspec champion 4" and am planning the same thing
cant comment on it yet really as i just got the gun and havent wrung it out for reliability purposes yet.
my biggest issue with it so far is sights
my aging eyes cant pick up those tiny mil spec sights
gonna change over to a higher profile sight system
i have always liked the 1911 platform but like alot of other ppl went the way of the plastic gun. my shooter is just a tad longer and taller than a g23 that i used to have. i think with the right set up a 1911 can be a very viable weapon for ccw
at least thats what im hoping
sureshot

krunchnik
02-28-2010, 21:12
I have a Springer Compact which is the 4 inch Champion length,I have had 100% reliability from it and very accurate also.For a carry 1911 you would be making a good choice,cant go wrong with a Springer I always say.

http://i763.photobucket.com/albums/xx272/krunchnik/IMG_1007.jpg

ambluemax
02-28-2010, 23:34
You are making the common mistake of refering to the GI line as Milspecs. There is a difference espeically in this case because there is not a milspec champion (though that would be sweet) and there is a GI campion, but we know which gun you are refering too.

I have a gov size GI and have used it as a primary carry gun. The sights leave something to be desired, but realisitcally in a "real life" situation it probably won't matter. They are also easily upgraded if you desire. Gi's are a very good plain jane carry option IMO and the tolerances are very glock-like in their looseness which makes them very tough and tolerant of the riggors of carry. Can't beat the price either...high value!!