(Armorers) recoil spring Q..... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : (Armorers) recoil spring Q.....

GSSF17
02-28-2010, 18:21
OK- I have been an armorer for awhile now and a glock enthusiast for over a decade. I had a State Trooper bring me his off duty Glock 27, saying that the pistol would malfunction (FTRTB), and the recoil spring face will stick out of the front of the pistol 1 inch or more..... (???)

I shot the pistol (25 rds) and could not get it to do this. He has had this happen with 3 types of ammo, and is an accomplished shooter. It's killing me. The pistol passes all the "tests" and is in great shape with an "m" serial number prefix. He has tried 4 different mags and all the ordinary stuff.

From what he is describing, it's like the recoil spring dislodges from its seat on the bottom of the barrel, and "pinches" itself between the barrel and the frame, causing the front of the recoil spring to puke out the front of the frame.

I have- so far- been unable to replicate this situation to "see it for myself".......

Any thought/help/suggestions/experience with this?????

Thanks

Greg

JR
03-01-2010, 20:22
What you have described sounds like (commonly called in Armorers circles) a Glock (Guide Rod) Erection. All you need to do to correct it is to push the exposed guide rod to the (any) side and it will reset itself. I have only seen this done when reassembling the slide onto the frame and the GR is not seated correctly. Never heard of it happening under fire?

I highly suspect something else is causing the FTRTB. You need to spend some range time with your friend. Watch his thumb placement (high thumbs) and see if he is dragging down the slide speed.

GSSF17
03-02-2010, 07:58
What you have described sounds like (commonly called in Armorers circles) a Glock (Guide Rod) Erection. All you need to do to correct it is to push the exposed guide rod to the (any) side and it will reset itself. I have only seen this done when reassembling the slide onto the frame and the GR is not seated correctly. Never heard of it happening under fire?

Thank you for the reply.

I have heard ot the Glock Erection as well, usually occurring during reassembly. But the "happening under fire" thing is what's got me. He says he has to field strip the weapon to resolve the problem, and the slide seems "stuck" in FTRTB.

I am going to shoot with him this weekend, and watch his form. Despite his shooting experience and ability, with this situation only happening to him on this small pistol, I suspect he is influencing this problem somehow (as you suggested). I am also going to have a new recoil spring and a printed copy of this thread on hand just for grins.

Thanks again!