Removal of front sight off a 14.5"barrel with welded FH [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Removal of front sight off a 14.5"barrel with welded FH

ottomatic
02-28-2010, 20:27
Just bought an LMT upper with a 14.5 barrel with a permanently attached flash hider. Nothing wrong with it, but I prefer a folding front sight to give me a cleaner sight plane. What is the best way to cut the front sight off, so I don't have to mess with the FH?

NeverMore1701
02-28-2010, 20:34
If you have a Dremmel, a steady hand, and some patience, you can just shave the FSB down to fit under a rail. Just don't do like the retard I got my current cluster**** from and do a terrible job, then who knows how much trouble it'll cause you!

faawrenchbndr
02-28-2010, 21:02
Just bought an LMT upper with a 14.5 barrel with a permanently attached flash hider. Nothing wrong with it, but I prefer a folding front sight to give me a cleaner sight plane. What is the best way to cut the front sight off, so I don't have to mess with the FH?

Are you looking to make this FSB a low profile and install a rail to cover?
The link below has a TON of info. From removing the FSB, to shaving the
FSB to removing a perm attached flash hider. Go about 1/2 to 1/3 down.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=226782

ottomatic
03-01-2010, 19:54
I was planning to completely remove the front sight and replace it with a two piece gasblock w/rail.

HAIL CAESAR
03-01-2010, 20:36
I was planning to completely remove the front sight and replace it with a two piece gasblock w/rail.

Urrfff, send it off to a pro like ADCO. Do NOT USE AR15barrels.com!!!

bjesse60
03-03-2010, 19:24

+1 Let Adco take care of it, they do great work & fast ! :cool:

Spiffums
03-04-2010, 06:15

+10 They will do a better job than a "home smith" and they can take off and replace the flash hider.

Achped
03-04-2010, 11:24
I can never seen to get a straight answer. How much does adco charge? I want to send them my Stag 3h upper to cut and thread to 14.5" (Not install the FH, I will do it myself) but I keep getting different answers because if I don't take it out of the upper receiver they will have to take the barrel out and charge and whatever

MStarmer
03-04-2010, 15:37
When faced with these situations I just try and buy it exactly the way I want from the start. Pinned/welded flash hiders and removing the gas block seems to equal and expensive option. If it were me and I wasn't willing to sell off the upper I'd just take my time with a dremel and cut very cautiously. It's not rocket science in removing it, just lots of patience.