...so what happens when you shoot a .40 out of a .45acp 1911??? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : ...so what happens when you shoot a .40 out of a .45acp 1911???

FLIPPER 348
02-28-2010, 21:30
Well 1st of all it sounds odd, loud but odd. Actually that's all that happened.

I was out with some of the boys today shooting beer cans & such, just happily blasting away, when Tom's Colt 1911 did not sound quite right. After he emptied the mag he came over to me with a badly ruptured case and asked 'what happened'?? A quick glance at the back of the case gave away the news that he had cycled a .40 through a mag with the 45s.

I replied " do you do this often??" (with an implied 'you moron')

life goes on

Ruggles
02-28-2010, 21:36
My dad did it a few weeks ago. 2 rounds thru a Kimber UCII. No harm no foul that time. I can not say it sounded different as there were about 5 of us shooting at the same time but it did cause the gun to malfunction.

Geeorge
03-01-2010, 00:35
And yet another reason I don't own anything in 10mm short:whistling:

HAIL CAESAR
03-01-2010, 01:25
I've seen it happen a few times and only in 1911. The case just super stretched ( ruptured) but nothing was worse for wear.

I have shot a few 16 gauge shells in a 12 gauge before. That didn't cause any real harm besides some really weird deformed shells.

But it finally make me obsessive about ammo now. Especially since I saw that Guns and Ammo show where they fired different cartridges in the wrong chambered rifle.

Angry Fist
03-01-2010, 01:31
Wouldn't the slide shove that POS .40 up into the barrel? :dunno:

fistpoint
03-01-2010, 02:11
This can also happen:

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=276411

brisk21
03-01-2010, 07:55
Never fired the wrong caliber. I did load about 22 rounds of .40 into a 9mm glock 18 mag. didnt realize what I was doing until no more would fit.

Bill Lumberg
03-01-2010, 08:16
Sounds muffled. Doesn't cycle. Case gets big and may adhere to the chamber.

tous
03-01-2010, 08:58

That's what I was thinking ... so I tested it. With inert test cartridges, of course.

A 1911 extractor will barely grab the .40 Smith and Wesson cartridge, but because the .40 Smith and Wesson rim is much thinner, there is some distance between the case and the breech face.. A .40 Smith and Wesson cartridge will fall through a .45 ACP barrel. My initial thought was that the force of the firing pin whacking the rear end would push the .40 Smith and Wesson cartridge off the extractor and launch it, in one piece, down the barrel and if the extractor does hold, the room between the breech face and the primer would prevent primer ignition.

I dunno. :dunno: The testing was inconclusive. Most .40 Smith and Wesson cartridges fed from a .45 ACP magazine engaged the extractor. A few were knocked off by the firing pin and rolled out of the barrel. Most were held loosly by the extractor.

I don't doubt that it's possible, but it annoys me when I can't figure out how it can happen. :cowboy:

HAIL CAESAR
03-01-2010, 16:06
I tried it too with some dummy rounds. About half the time the extractor held the 40 Short and Weak enough I think it would fire. If only half of that actually fired you are looking at around 25% of the time the 40 would fire in a 45.

Not something I would want to make a habit of although.

jglsprings
03-01-2010, 16:11
This can also happen:

That is what I would have expected....... :shocked:

JBaird22
03-02-2010, 16:22
When I was in the police academy, we had the person behind us in line on the range loading our mags as we shot and emptied them. As I was shooting prone toward the end of our academy, I fired a round that neither had the correct report or feel. I stopped and checked my weapon for damage as I thought I might have gotten a squib (very rare in factory ammo I am thinking). As I am checking my weapon for damage, I look down in my pile of brass and notice a 9mm case that is regular shaped up until the webbing ends inside the case and then it was .40 shaped.

The downrange result was the person one lane over had an irregular shaped hole near the bottom of their target.

FLIPPER 348
03-02-2010, 17:33
This can also happen:

...only if a .40 was not fired and is in the 'way' of the 45acp!

So help me out here-- How the shooter could not realize that a live undersized round made it's way beyond the chamber of his 1911 and rack a found in behind it??? (!). I mean the round before the 40 went off and the 1911 cycled in the 40 and kicked it past the chamber ....but obviously the pistol FTFed on the next trigger pull, no?? Or did the 40 go off and the empty casing not eject and became the blockage??

In out case the 1911 happily shot the undersized round and ejected the case.

ambluemax
03-02-2010, 17:35

Newb friend did it on accident one time, muzzle was pointed toward the ground when he let the slide fly and the slide chucked the round right out the end of the barrel, tried to shoot, click, racked it again and noticed the round falling out the end this time....ahhh newbs.

CitizenOfDreams
03-02-2010, 17:45
That's why I only shoot 9mm and 22LR, kinda hard to mix them up...

rollem
03-02-2010, 17:54
I got one for you guys.. I was at the indoor range the other day. This guy a few stalls down was obviously having problems firing his gun (a ruger p89). He was banging it, shaking it. after about 10 min of watching him and listening to him (i think he was cursing in a african language). I offered assistance. He said his gun wouldn't fire. I asked the see it. This fool bought Only the projectile (bullet) not the full cartridge...lol... I still dont know how he crammed 10 of these thing in his magazine....... Where's darwin when you need him...

watsoncb
03-02-2010, 19:37
May be all ammo should be standardized to color codes:

Red - .45ACP
Green - .9-mm, and so on.

Then make all firearm manufacturing follow the same color code standards... all .45 firearms (single shot, semi-autos, revolvers) be the same color.

Think that might help? May be not.

mikegun
03-02-2010, 20:41
I shot a 40 out of a kimber cdp11,45 it split the shell down one side and extracted from the gun, no damage to pistol, sound was somewhat muffeled...

Angry Fist
03-02-2010, 20:42
Not to hijack, but I wonder what would happen if I shot a 9x25 through a 10mm barrel? Headspacing issues would cause a similar incident, right?, but wouldn't push it very far, I'd think... Don't worry, ain't gunna happen.

GreyEclipse
03-02-2010, 21:16
It sounds like the guns on COD.

lol, no seriously, I've never mixed up ammo so Idk.:tongueout:

ambluemax
03-02-2010, 21:26
May be all ammo should be standardized to color codes:

Red - .45ACP
Green - .9-mm, and so on.

Then make all firearm manufacturing follow the same color code standards... all .45 firearms (single shot, semi-autos, revolvers) be the same color.

Think that might help? May be not.

Wouldn't have helped in my case...you'd have to know the guy. I and another friend were talking about the reloads I had made for him, this guy assumed there was only 1 caliber of reloads and started stuffing mags. He shoots a lot of shotguns, but wasn't pistol savy and didn't understand that all the 9, 40 and 45 ammo was reloaded.

So color coding- try to idiot proof something, and they'll just make a dumber idiot. He could have looked at the stamp on the back of the ammo, but not so much

Unicron
03-02-2010, 23:16
this has happened to me a few months back. thank goodness nothing spectacular happened. there was a verry muffled pop...and i found a expanded .40 shell stuck in the throat of the barrel. not enough recoil to even push the slide back much.

learned my lesson. i will shoot one handgun at a time.

tous
03-03-2010, 08:32
I understand that my testing was done in isolation, no buddies around me to distract, but it was immediately obvious when I put .40 Smith and Wesson cartridges in a .45 ACP magazine; not just overtly, but subliminally as well.

Aside from the purely engineering curiosity of the matter, how about we all just pay attention? :headscratch: When shooting with friends, even those with skill and experience equal to mine, I watch them like a hawk as they do me. We're there to enjoy ourselves, but it isn't a poker game or a frat party. Mistakes are simply too dear.

Quack
03-03-2010, 08:39
this is what happened when someone shot a 9mm out of a .40S&W

http://i839.photobucket.com/albums/zz314/vetter71/IMG_4477.jpg

KILLERtj
03-03-2010, 10:57
.40 in a .45.....
http://inlinethumb54.webshots.com/46005/2062985980044655185S500x500Q85.jpg (http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2062985980044655185xhlqzH)

KILLERtj

gruntmedik
03-03-2010, 14:12
I understand that my testing was done in isolation, no buddies around me to distract, but it was immediately obvious when I put .40 Smith and Wesson cartridges in a .45 ACP magazine; not just overtly, but subliminally as well.

Aside from the purely engineering curiosity of the matter, how about we all just pay attention? :headscratch: When shooting with friends, even those with skill and experience equal to mine, I watch them like a hawk as they do me. We're there to enjoy ourselves, but it isn't a poker game or a frat party. Mistakes are simply too dear.

Well said, as always. :thumbsup:

trob
03-03-2010, 14:34
This can also happen:

holy smokes!! that is some carnage :wow:

glock2740
03-03-2010, 18:06
My buddy did it last summer and it didn't do a thing to his gun. He sent it in and had it checked out, because it was new and he was worried about it. It came back with a clean bill of health.