Observations on the S&W M&P15-22 AR-style .22 carbine [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Observations on the S&W M&P15-22 AR-style .22 carbine

DJ Niner
02-28-2010, 21:38
Trigger pull on mine is absolutely terrible. Like pulling a bag of trash up a flight of stairs using your trigger finger; 3 separate stages of creep, and you can HEAR the grating in a quiet room. I've shot a lot of ARs and M16s over the years; they must have spec'ed a special parts contract to get a trigger to feel this bad. I'll clean it up a bit, but I see a new trigger/hammer assembly on the horizon...

Lefties take note: Yesterday, I pulled the parts out of the lower receiver, and it appears as though the safety lever is reversible for left-handed use (two sets of detent cutouts, one on each end). Even though I shoot lefty, I didn't try it as my other ARs have conventional safeties and I want all my guns to work the same, but the option is there, apparently. Remove the pistol grip (two springs/detents/holes to keep track of; don't lose anything or mix them up!), make sure the hammer is cocked, and slide the safety out to reverse it.

Stock tube is hollow with a cheesy synthetic cap/plug accessible from the outside, through the rear hole in the stock. The plug fell off in the first hundred rounds, but I still see a prime spot to stash a few extra rounds of ammo if a secure plug could be fashioned. Anyone tried this yet?

This thing is gonna be worse than a boat for pouring money into it. I already want a full Magpul furniture set, several different scope/dot-sight setups, and a handful of mags of course. So far, I've added an ambi-model Ergo grip, a Brownell's flash hider adapter and A1 FH, basic black ladder rail covers, and a TruGlo red/green circle-dot sight in a cheesy QD mount (can see the sights in the lower third of the tube, though, and I really like that). Just the beginning, I'm sure...

http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/476/swmp22camobkgdsideweb.jpg

steve1911
03-01-2010, 03:19
Thanks for the review DJ, been think of picking one up for awhile now one wholesaler i know of has them on sale now, it's the threaded model, the part about the boat pouring money in to it well you know what they say you got pay to play. still thinking on buying one, i like the idea for training with it, a whole lot cheaper than 223, any way congrats on your 15-22.

1911club#410

M2 Carbine
03-01-2010, 09:20
still thinking on buying one, i like the idea for training with it, a whole lot cheaper than 223, any way congrats on your 15-22.
Mine paid for itself in a couple months in .223 ammo savings when teaching a few people to shoot the AR. (I give the new shooters free ammo so I have to consider the ammo cost)
I had a couple ladies run a bunch of magazines through the Smith first and when they picked up the AR they were immediately comfortable and accurate with it.

I've run several thousand rounds of Wal Mart bulk pack Federal and Remington through the gun. Pretty much the only problems I've had have been caused by the poor quality ammo.

Trigger pull on mine is absolutely terrible.
The trigger on mine isn't too bad. One thing I noticed right away is the trigger felt exactly like my two Bushmasters.
Although I think the triggers on my Bushmasters aren't anything to brag about.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v135/Bell406_206B/SWMP22whandguards.jpg
I have my M&P equipped like my Bushmasters, for HD. I do a good bit of evening laser/light practice and haven't used the AR much because of the noise. The M&P works perfect as it's just like shooting the AR, without the noise.

wjv
03-01-2010, 11:29
They have always seemed pretty pricey for just a semi-auto .22. But I suppose under certain circumstances (like what M2 Carbine described) that having one could make sense. It's just that you could buy 2.5 Ruger 10-22's for the price of one S&W M&P15-22.

This is my "tactical" .22
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i303/bcvojak/RVNet/AT-22.jpg

M2 Carbine
03-01-2010, 12:05
It's just that you could buy 2.5 Ruger 10-22's for the price of one S&W M&P15-22.

It's just the "I want it" reason, probably like in most gun purchases.

I've had a 10/22 for some time but when I saw the S&W M&P 15-22, right away I wanted it.
This makes even less practical sense because I had recently bought a expensive GSG-5

Then what make even less sense is recently buying the SIG 522.:upeyes:

But that's probably how it is with a lot of gun owners. If they can raise the money they buy what they want, not what they need.

A case in point.
My $638 Kimber shoots as well and is as reliable as my $1280 Kimber. The only reason for buying the gun that costs twice as much is I wanted it.

I guess if folks can spare the money that's a good reason to buy something.

If you can come up with a good sounding excuse for spending the extra money, that's even better.:supergrin:

What is that 22? I like that.:)
That's got to be a fun gun to shoot.

mag318
03-01-2010, 13:59
The trigger pull on my 1'st M&P15-22 was good right out of the box at around 5 lbs with no creep. Over a couple thousand troublefree rounds it smoothed out even more. I like this rifle so much I bought a 2'nd one with the factory installed flash hider. Now I'm just waiting for warmer weather so I can break it in. I just ordered an NcStar Mark III rubber armored 3-9x42 scope with laser just for fun.

Sigtac226
03-01-2010, 17:07
I just picked one up recently too. Great rifles and a blast to shoot. I can see doing a few mods as money permits too. My trigger is not too bad either. About like a stock Bushmaster.

DJ Niner
03-01-2010, 23:15
Well, I'm glad to hear my trigger is apparently not representative of the breed. I pulled it out to take a look at it, and there are grooves on the sear surface that will catch your fingernail. It almost looks like a serrated ramp S&W revolver sight. I think I'll try dropping in a stock AR trigger from the parts drawer after this next test-fire session. I have several, ONE of them has to be better than this one.

bcvojak, I had a Feather Arms AT-22 just like that in the late 80's; I should have kept it. Fun gun to shoot, but mags were hard to find, mine wouldn't feed HPs very well and I was shooting a lot of varmints at the time, so away it went.

For those folks shooting the S&W M&P-22, are you running it wet with lube, fairly dry, or somewhere in-between? Favorite lube? Any lubes/oils that DIDN'T work well?

Thanks!

M2 Carbine
03-03-2010, 09:39
For those folks shooting the S&W M&P-22, are you running it wet with lube, fairly dry, or somewhere in-between? Favorite lube? Any lubes/oils that DIDN'T work well?
I run all my 22LR guns "wet with lube". The oil quickly blows out of the action and if you aren't careful the the semi auto bolt will quickly be dry when doing a lot of shooting. Some guns are worse than others.
Just in the last few days while shooting the Smith and SIG 522 I'd re-oil the bolt/rails while shooting.

I'm not picky about which lube I use in the 22's but I do favor Break Free CLP.
The only problems I've seen is people using no lube at all on guns. I've "repaired" several guns that the only thing wrong was the gun had absolutely no lubrication.

DriBak
03-04-2010, 21:17
Who has the threaded model in stock?

CMG
03-04-2010, 21:40
Well, I'm glad to hear my trigger is apparently not representative of the breed. I pulled it out to take a look at it, and there are grooves on the sear surface that will catch your fingernail. It almost looks like a serrated ramp S&W revolver sight. I think I'll try dropping in a stock AR trigger from the parts drawer after this next test-fire session. I have several, ONE of them has to be better than this one.

bcvojak, I had a Feather Arms AT-22 just like that in the late 80's; I should have kept it. Fun gun to shoot, but mags were hard to find, mine wouldn't feed HPs very well and I was shooting a lot of varmints at the time, so away it went.

Thanks!

DJ,

Both of mine needed some stoning to smooth the contact surfaces... that plus some lighter springs gave them both fairly good triggers (4lbs).

I run mine "in between" wet and dry... and I use Break Free CLP.

Good luck.

mag318
03-05-2010, 00:27
I mainly lube the bolt guide rods with FP10, and a light coat on the exterior of the bolt. A friend just installed an ArmaLite 2 stage trigger in his M&P and it feels great, I may do the same.

DJ Niner
03-06-2010, 23:41
Second range trip today. 50 CCI Mini-Mag round nose, no problems. 50 CCI Mini-Mag hollow points, no problems. 60 Federal AutoMatch round nose unplated lead, 1 failure to eject.

Seems like this one prefers the CCI stuff. No problem, that's what I'll feed it.

The flash hider adapter did loosen-up near the end of the session, but it didn't fall off, so a little LocTite should take care of that. The light stoning I did to the trigger helped a bit, but I still think I'll swap-out the trigger and see if that helps. I'm confident enough in its safe functioning to start shooting left-handed (my preferred side with long guns) now, but I'll probably keep one eye on the ejection port to make sure it ejects each case prior to me pulling the trigger on the next one.

It's really starting to grow on me. A fun little gun, and a way to keep some of the rifle-handling skills sharper during the long winter.

DJ Niner
03-13-2010, 21:48
Did a little more smoothing on the trigger, and now I think I can work with it. Changed out a few of the parts, got a new front (Magpul MBUS) front sight for it, and a Swan Sleeve for the rear (out of the AR parts drawer). The Swan Sleeve should allow me to swap scopes/optics as much as I want without worrying about cumulative damage to the top rail. Also added a sling stud for a Harris bipod. Current photos:

http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/86/sw22ar14inwebb.jpg

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/6687/sw22ar14inweb.jpg

Rooster Rugburn
03-14-2010, 13:36
I've been wanting a M&P AR-15. Are the uppers and lowers from the 5.56 and .22LR interchangeable? If I got an SW AR-15, could I just get a .22LR upper and use the 5.56 lower? The way the magazine on the .22LR is made makes me wonder.

CMG
03-14-2010, 15:05
I've been wanting a M&P AR-15. Are the uppers and lowers from the 5.56 and .22LR interchangeable? If I got an SW AR-15, could I just get a .22LR upper and use the 5.56 lower? The way the magazine on the .22LR is made makes me wonder.

Spikes and Tacitcal Solutions make dedicated .22 LR uppers that will fit any mil-spec lower, including the S&W centerfires... both use BDM magazines.

The S&W M&P 15-22 is less money for a complete gun... although it is somewhat limited in what you parts you can easily change. (ie no fixed A2 butt-stocks or different hand-guards)

cptslick
03-14-2010, 15:57
I've had mine for a while. I had a slight problem with FTF, and FTE. I sent it back to S&W. I had it back in one week. They paid for it coming and going and gave me two extra mags. I like it a lot.

seamaster
03-14-2010, 21:52
I LOVE mine! Had it for several months and put about 3k rounds thru it and it's been perfect. I upgraded the stocks to Magpul and added a nice little Weaver 4x32 shotgun scope and it's a tack driver. It's my favorite rifle!

green marauder
03-15-2010, 20:36
Heres mine and I love it, already started the upgrades put about a thousand rounds through it with only two problems, one FTF, and a fire out of battery.
-Tasco Bantam 2.5X20
-Leapers Deluxe See-Thru Riser
-Leapers Deluxe Foregrip
-TaskForce light
-UTG rail covers
http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn153/Glock-N/SWAR15-22014.jpg
http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn153/Glock-N/MePeaNut207.jpg

heliguy
03-20-2010, 10:01
I got the $9.95 trigger springs from Brownells, polished the sear and trigger with the Dremel and it's a crist 3.5 lbs on the meter. It worked out so well that I did it to all my black guns!

GSSF17
03-20-2010, 11:05
I just got another one and the trigger on the newer one is better than the older one. The newer one has the threaded barrel, also. Both of mine do not seem ammo picky at all, and I can count on one hand the malfunctions in the first 300 rounds in the new one. 200 more rounds and a good cleaning should have her primed and ready.

DJ Niner
03-20-2010, 21:18
Yes, I'm starting to see the threaded models on store shelves locally as well. I also saw a new sub-model that comes with Magpul MBUS sights front and rear from the factory (perhaps it's a distributor special?). The store that had the Magpul-sighted model was selling it for the same price as the other model(s) ($499.99) that they have sold in the past. The Magpul sights make for a much sleeker profile, up OR down.

PartyBible
03-20-2010, 22:46
Yes, I'm starting to see the threaded models on store shelves locally as well. I also saw a new sub-model that comes with Magpul MBUS sights front and rear from the factory (perhaps it's a distributor special?). The store that had the Magpul-sighted model was selling it for the same price as the other model(s) ($499.99) that they have sold in the past. The Magpul sights make for a much sleeker profile, up OR down.

I was watching a few youtube vids, nutnfancy maybe, from shotshow and davidsons has a "magpul version.

http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/Default.aspx?item=150781&mfg=Smith+%26+Wesson&mdl=M%26P&cat=All&type=All&cal=22LR&fin=Blue&sit=All

I really need to but one of these.... cheap training!

GSSF17
03-21-2010, 10:56
I am glad I bought another one, and am really glad it's the threaded barrel.

I shot the first 300 rounds with the factory sights, then pulled them off and opted for a small, fixed 4X mil-dot scope. Less than 20 rounds later and it's balls on. A folding foregrip and some rail covers, and I believe that's the way this one will stay for awhile. :thumbsup:

DJ Niner
03-30-2010, 00:02
Sold a bunch of little stuff at the gunshow last weekend, and managed to find a RRA two-stage match trigger assembly at the same show. Home I went, dropped it into the S&W M&P-22, did the safety checks (twice), and then off to the range for a short function-test session.

Due to limited time (range was near closing time), I couldn't clean the weapon (still dirty from the last trip - I know, I know, I'm scum). Squirted some more lube on the bolt and loaded-up my mags (have a few spares, now) with CCI Mini-Mag HPs.

Trigger was .... WONDERFUL. About two pounds of take-up to the clearly felt second stage pause, and another very crisp two pounds to fire. So nice it brought tears to my eyes.

Burned through 100 rounds almost as fast as I could reload and shoot; two failures to eject and one cartridge-rim-wedged-into-the-mag-ramp jam (first time I've had one of these, might have been me rushing the mag loading process).

Further testing will be done with various ammo as soon as I can arrange it, with a clean gun, too! Stay tuned!

ZombieKiller25
03-30-2010, 06:10
Who has the threaded model in stock?

My girlfriend bought mine for my birthday at shootersjax.com .... not a bad price of $422 shipped!

GSSF17
03-30-2010, 08:03
My girlfriend bought mine for my birthday at shootersjax.com .... not a bad price of $422 shipped!

Got my most recent one there. Price is literally impossible to beat. They are good guys to deal with, too. They may be out of the TB models now, but they did have a bunch. I got a couple spare mages from 44 mag shipped to me last week- not the best price, but they got them in stock, while almost everyone else is out/backordered.

DJ Niner
03-31-2010, 00:42
I also bought a couple of spare mags from www.44mag.com recently; great folks, great service. I ordered on a Saturday, the package shipped on Monday, and I had it in-hand on Wednesday afternoon. About 98 hours from online order to stuffing Mini-Mags in my new mags. :thumbsup:

Adionik
04-03-2010, 03:18
Interesting...for $400, i'm really considering one. Then again I feel I might as well pay another $200 and get the real thing. I can't decide...

GSSF17
04-03-2010, 07:52
.......and get the real thing. I can't decide...

Meaning an AR with a dedicated .22 lr upper?

I figured by the time I got a Spikes .22 lr upper and a couple mags, I cound dang near have TWO M&P 15-22 rifles. ....... And now I am enjoying both of my M&Ps. :supergrin:

green marauder
04-03-2010, 08:07
Interesting...for $400, i'm really considering one. Then again I feel I might as well pay another $200 and get the real thing. I can't decide...

Thats what I was thinking also untill I started thinking about the ammo cost WalMart's Fed, bulk pack 550 rounds, $18.97. local dealer Rem. UMC 55 grain 50 round box 20.99 ( while supplys last).

kyarcher
04-03-2010, 09:19
$389.99 here..................But they are out of stock at the moment.

http://www.ombexpress.com/c_373/p_RF101.aspx?source=10FACE

AZ Husker
04-10-2010, 11:20
Mine's back at the factory. Every couple rounds was a FTE. Their service was great, sent me a call tag immediately. We'll see how it works when it comes home.

Cole125
04-10-2010, 21:52
They have always seemed pretty pricey for just a semi-auto .22. But I suppose under certain circumstances (like what M2 Carbine described) that having one could make sense. It's just that you could buy 2.5 Ruger 10-22's for the price of one S&W M&P15-22.

This is my "tactical" .22
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i303/bcvojak/RVNet/AT-22.jpg

What kind of .22 is that? Never seen one of those before. :dunno:

wjv
04-10-2010, 21:54
What kind of .22 is that? Never seen one of those before. :dunno:

Feather Industries AT-22

DJ Niner
04-11-2010, 22:11
Another 100 rounds of CCI Mini-Mag HPs through it today with nary a bobble (cleaned it last week). Popped the red dot sight off, and replaced it with a honkin' huge 3-9x RWS scope I had in the optics drawer, as vermin season (gophers/ground squirrrels) is right around the corner. WAAAAAY too much scope (30mm tube!) for a light little .22 carbine, but should be just the ticket for sniping varmints out to about 50 yards.

I'm also testing a Magpul AFG on it; if it feels like it will work for me, then I'll transfer it to a real AR. Had to mount it farther to the rear than I'd like, due to the bipod mount stud, but so far it's handling well...

http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/5443/swmp22w3x9scopemagsbpdw.jpg

G36's Rule
04-18-2010, 17:57
Anyone shot their S&W for groups? I would be interested in hearing what kind of accuracy you get out of it.

kyarcher
04-18-2010, 20:02
Thats one sweet looking rifle DJ......:cool::cool::cool:

DJ Niner
04-18-2010, 21:36
Anyone shot their S&W for groups? I would be interested in hearing what kind of accuracy you get out of it.Well, I was checking zero on mine last weekend, intending on taking it out for some short-range small varmint shooting, and when I saw the groups, I changed my mind. Not sure if it was the ammo (only had two types with me), the barrel touching the handguard cap when shooting off a bipod, the set-screw-mounted flash suppressor, the cheap imported scope/rings, or perhaps some combo of the above. In any case, I thought the varmints deserved more accuracy that that gun/ammo/scope combo was providing at that time, and until I can troubleshoot the problem thoroughly it will only fill a role as chief plinker/tin-can-blaster.

The "patterns" with CCI Stingers were particularly ugly. Anyone else tried these in their M&P-22?

John Hatcher
04-19-2010, 08:12
I'm going to the range this weekend for some testing of different ammo's i'll let you know.

GSSF17
04-19-2010, 18:37
Well, I was checking zero on mine last weekend, intending on taking it out for some short-range small varmint shooting, and when I saw the groups, I changed my mind. Not sure if it was the ammo (only had two types with me), the barrel touching the handguard cap when shooting off a bipod, the set-screw-mounted flash suppressor, the cheap imported scope/rings, or perhaps some combo of the above. In any case, I thought the varmints deserved more accuracy that that gun/ammo/scope combo was providing at that time, and until I can troubleshoot the problem thoroughly it will only fill a role as chief plinker/tin-can-blaster.

The "patterns" with CCI Stingers were particularly ugly. Anyone else tried these in their M&P-22?

Nope- but now with Federal bulk (36 gr. 550 pack) on my threaded barrel model, I shoot 1 inch groups at 100 yards. Very Happy.

I broke it in on CCI mini mags and, although reliable, were less accurate. Interesting....................:dunno:

DJ Niner
04-20-2010, 00:00
Well, when I go out for accuracy testing I'll take some Fed bulk-pack along, but mine still won't function reliably with those unless it is nearly spotless and well-lubed. After 50-100 rounds, it fails to eject the empties; it just feels like they are too weak to work the action.

That's some good shooting with a field-grade rifle/carbine, though, ammo considerations aside. :thumbsup:

Michigun
04-20-2010, 09:59
What’s up Mr. DJ Niner!

I picked up a S&W a few months back now… I’ve been wanting one ever since I heard about them… I put nearly a 1,000 rounds through it so far with only 1 jam, which took place on my last range session. I have yet to clean my M&P-22 yet, & it’s pretty dirty, so that’s what I attribute that 1 jam to... needless to say I’m VERY happy with my S&W! I’ve only fed it Federal’s Champion brand 40-grain solids thus far but it REALLY seems to like them so I’m sticking with’em.

Side note: I already have 5 (3 are oldies that were left to me; 1 pump & 2 bolt actions... other 2 are 10/22's... 1 plain-jane & 1 highly moded) .22lr rifles, but I wanted this one to set it up close to my current ‘real’ AR-15. The added benefit to all this is it’s looking more & more that this will be my new go-to .22lr rifle… from plinking to hunting! This thing is GREAT!

Her’s a pic of my current real AR-15 that I’ve set up my M&P-22 after as closely as I can without breaking the bank:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v733/Michigun/Bushy/Bushy.jpg

My S&W wears a set of Troy flip-ups (had them lying around already) & a single-point sling that I moded the S&W to work with (I just drilled a spot into the lower receiver to accept a swivel sling stud)… I ordered an inexpensive CAA VFG that VERY closely matches the above AR’s VFG, a Magpul MOE Grip & one of those Walter Aipoint clones… I went ahead & went with the CAA Side Saddle as it has the same feel of my AR’s Vltor stock & saved me $60+!

Here’s how my S&W M&P-22 sits as of this morning when I snapped this not-so-good cell phone pic of her:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v733/Michigun/268.jpg

And here’s a joint picture of my ‘real’ AR (top) & M&P-22 before I added the CAA Side Saddle:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v733/Michigun/S5001773.jpg

Anyway, I’m ALL about these S&W’s… I chose it over the Colt & all of the other options out there for a lot of reasons… $$$ didn’t have much to do with it for me. After considering ALL of the options out there, for a .22lr AR-15, the S&W just plain came out on top.

Another side note: I was actually a little disappointed that my S&W didn’t have any problems & have to go back to the factory, as I hear S&W was paying for the shipping to & from, had a VERY fast turn-around time & shipped the gun back with 2 free magazines! :wow:

WUSSCVR
04-20-2010, 16:58
I have had really good luck with mine, so far. 600 rounds down range, mostly Federal Bulk Pack and Remington Thunderbolt (left over from a few years ago) and no FTE's or FTF's.

In the accuracy category, I think it is pretty darn good for a cheap semi-auto. With a bipod, a PA MR M3 and Federal Bulk Pack I was able to get a five shot group that fit under a quarter with ease. Off hand with the same scope and ammo it shot under 2.5 inches with a 25 round group. Both of these were shot at 25 yrds (longest lane at the indoor range I frequent).

I actually wish I had photos as evidence but after I measured the groups I ran the target back out to 15 yrds and my buddy shot the clip holding the bloody target!

As for lube, I use only Hoppes #9 for cleaning and Hoppes Elite for lube. The gun is kept "in between," not too wet, not too dry. I figure, if Hoppes was good enough for my grandfather 70 years ago, it is good enough for me.

DJ Niner
04-20-2010, 23:54
Hiya Michigun, how's it going!

I think I actually have a brick of those Champion .22s in the ammo bunker, so I'll add it to the list of loads to try, both for accuracy and functioning. With the addition of the two-stage RRA trigger, mine is getting so far away from stock that I wonder if that is affecting the reliability. I know I could probably go 200-300 rounds of CCI Mini-Mags now without a bobble if I started clean and lubed, but I can only hope I eventually get to a point where I could perk almost 1000 through it with minimal problems.

Michigun
04-21-2010, 07:50
Hiya Michigun, how's it going!

I'm alive... :cool:

I think I actually have a brick of those Champion .22s in the ammo bunker, so I'll add it to the list of loads to try, both for accuracy and functioning.

The Federal Champions that I've shot thus far are VERY consistent from shot to shot like the CCI Mini Mags... only cheaper!

With the addition of the two-stage RRA trigger, mine is getting so far away from stock that I wonder if that is affecting the reliability.

It could be bro, but it's not supposed to be like that though... my M&P-22's trigger wasn't too bad right out of the box so I'm keeping it as-is... all of my other AR's have standard triggers anyways.

I know I could probably go 200-300 rounds of CCI Mini-Mags now without a bobble if I started clean and lubed, but I can only hope I eventually get to a point where I could perk almost 1000 through it with minimal problems.

Not kidding here DJ, when I brought my M&P-22 home the 1st thing I did was to toss on the set of Troy flip-ups & then ran a bore-snake through the barrel & took it out back shooting... it was nearly 1,000 rounds later (spread out over several shooting sessions w/no cleanings in between) of the Federal Champions (510) before I finally had a jam... not bad for ANY .22LR/.22LR ammunition!

heliguy
04-22-2010, 21:26
Well, since everyone is showing pictures.....

http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/ae280/heliguy/Guns%20n%20Stuff/PICT9664.jpg

http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/ae280/heliguy/Guns%20n%20Stuff/PICT9661.jpg

DJ Niner
04-23-2010, 00:54
:woohoo:

VERY nice setup!

Does the can affect accuracy? If so, positively or negatively?

heliguy
04-23-2010, 07:44
:woohoo:

VERY nice setup!

Does the can affect accuracy? If so, positively or negatively?

With regular ammo I'm 2.5" at 100 yrds prone. The suppressor changes to POI a little low and left.

With subsonic ammo I'm 3+" at 100 yrds prone with noticible bullet drop.

I'm not a very skilled shooter so don't know how much is me or the gun..

John Hatcher
04-23-2010, 07:55
I thought your not supposed to use subsonic ammo in the M&P .22?

heliguy
04-23-2010, 08:15
I thought your not supposed to use subsonic ammo in the M&P .22?

Never heard that one...The manual states:

"Never use non-standard, reloaded or handloaded ammunition which has not been subjected to intrnal ballistic pressure testing......may fail to fire or may generate excessive internal pressures..."

There are several quotes like this with warnings of overpressure not underpressure in the round.

Unless maybe "non-standard" = subsonic??? I don't think so, all of the manual references to standard = 22 LR. I've got over 500 rounds of Rem subs through it without a failure and no issues with baffle strike in the suppressor. I've not tried any other subs just because the Rems are working so well...

WUSSCVR
04-23-2010, 13:27
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w21/kmkviper/The%2022s/IMGP1622.jpg

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w21/kmkviper/The%2022s/IMGP1624.jpg

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w21/kmkviper/The%2022s/IMGP1630.jpg

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w21/kmkviper/The%2022s/IMGP1629.jpg

John Hatcher
04-23-2010, 14:10
I'm not sure i'll check when I get home.
WUSSCVR that thing is sexy!!!! You totally stole my idea(...lol) now I have to come up with a different setup damm you!!!

WUSSCVR
04-25-2010, 12:55
I'm not sure i'll check when I get home.
WUSSCVR that thing is sexy!!!! You totally stole my idea(...lol) now I have to come up with a different setup damm you!!!

Sorry bud, however imitation is the best form of flattery!

Titurel
04-25-2010, 13:24
Hot Diggity!! That thing is awesome! Except for the VersaPod (I think that's what it is) Never been very happy with mine. I wish MagPul would come out with a great bipod

John Hatcher
04-25-2010, 21:08
...lol. I'll go with FDE now. Yours looks great! Just ordered my parts!!

WUSSCVR
04-26-2010, 18:52
...lol. I'll go with FDE now. Yours looks great! Just ordered my parts!!

Well then, we can take turns being jealous since I think I am going to build either another M&P or perhaps a full size brother in FDE in the future.

DJ Niner
05-29-2010, 03:29
Might be old news to some folks, but it looks like S&W finally has the short-body 10-shot mags on their website. I've been wanting one or two for bench shooting or low prone while hunting.

http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/9919/10shotmag.jpg

Link to S&W's page for this item:

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_766381_-1_758016_757846_757837_ProductDisplayErrorView_N

I have no connection to the site or company, other than being a happy customer.

glocksalot
06-02-2010, 18:07
i love my new M&P 15-22 but im looking for an imitation suppressor...anybody have any links for sites that provide these? and does anybody know the thread size thats on the end of the barrel?

John Hatcher
06-03-2010, 19:21
i love my new M&P 15-22 but im looking for an imitation suppressor...anybody have any links for sites that provide these? and does anybody know the thread size thats on the end of the barrel?

I'm looking into it also, I'll let you know what I find. Busy working on my M&P OR. Thoses 10rd. mags are cool. I just ordered a new 30rd.