Which base gun: Rock Island or Springfield milspec [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Which base gun: Rock Island or Springfield milspec

2006HighSierra
03-01-2010, 09:31
I'm looking for a 1911, it will be my first one. Right now I'm just wanting a standard 1911A1, no front serations or anything. I can get a Springfield Milspec parkerized for around $600 but here in town the local shop has a Rock Island Armory/Armscor for $449. Aside from horrible grips and sights, the gun doesn't seem to be much different than the Springfield. The Springfield might have a slightly better fit/finish but the gun would get cerakoted down the road anyways. I don't know anyone with a RIA pistol though but I've been told they are pretty reliable in factory form. Any thoughts?

Dalton Wayne
03-01-2010, 09:37
Springfield

Tactical black
03-01-2010, 09:56
Springfield

+1 :cool:

cessnastud
03-01-2010, 10:31
Springfield.

drc767
03-01-2010, 10:47
Yup....SA without question.

HAIL CAESAR
03-01-2010, 10:52
449 is way to much for a RIA GI.

The RIA will make you a fine gun. The Springfield is the one to get for future builds!!!

Glockdude1
03-01-2010, 10:53
Springfield.

:thumbsup:

MD357
03-01-2010, 11:07
Another vote for the Springer.

2006HighSierra
03-01-2010, 11:17
well this seems one sided enough...I may just pass on the RIA

josp
03-01-2010, 11:19
Here's a vote for the RIA from someone who has one. Mine is utterly reliable, but I did go with the tactical model. Better sights, safety, hammer, trigger, etc.

No, it's not a Les/Wilson/kimber, etc., but for a carry gun that I won't mind bumping, scratching, or just plain using, it's great!

HAIL CAESAR
03-01-2010, 11:42
Here's a vote for the RIA from someone who has one. Mine is utterly reliable, but I did go with the tactical model. Better sights, safety, hammer, trigger, etc.

No, it's not a Les/Wilson/kimber, etc., but for a carry gun that I won't mind bumping, scratching, or just plain using, it's great!

I got one too. That said the OP asked for the best base gun.....Springfield without a doubt

CMG
03-01-2010, 14:56
I got one too. That said the OP asked for the best base gun.....Springfield without a doubt

Yep, I believe there's a bit of difference between buying a RIA as a reliable beater (which they can be), and buying one for a custom build.

Between those two, I'd also go with the Springer.

HAIL CAESAR
03-01-2010, 14:59
Yep, I believe there's a bit of difference between buying a RIA as a reliable beater (which they can be), and buying one for a custom build.

Between those two, I'd also go with the Springer.

Absolutely! I have an RIA that I use out in the fields as a so called "beater". It works great. Particularly because I have pennies in the whole rig.

But for gun to ever "build" on the Springer is the way to go. Heck there are custom smiths that will not even work on a RIA.

HAIL CAESAR
03-01-2010, 15:04
http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo349/hailcaesar_photos/JBP_9163.jpg

Here is my "tractor RIA". I love it cause it works and I have under 4 hundred in the whole mess as it sits.

josp
03-01-2010, 15:56
Well I got enough quotes to warrant me to re-read
The original post and I can't find where he says he wants a base gun for a "build" project. Just says he wants a "base" gun.
As that statement, I still vote RIA.

Now if he wants to build a race gun, or add on a lot of stuff and so forth, then I would also consider a Springer.

HAIL CAESAR
03-01-2010, 16:02
Usually when I hear "base gun" I take it as meaning a base gun to do other things with later. So my advice is always a Springfield ( or actually usually a Colt).

If someone says a "Basic gun" then I usually point them at a RIA or also a Springfield.

glock2740
03-01-2010, 17:20
Usually when I hear "base gun" I take it as meaning a base gun to do other things with later. So my advice is always a Springfield ( or actually usually a Colt).

If someone says a "Basic gun" then I usually point them at a RIA or also a Springfield.
True. I'm a big RIA fan, and have 3, but for a base gun to further build upon, I'd go with the SA. It really depends on how far you are wanting to take it. Not that you can't build up a RIA, but there's a better chance that the SA, will meet the tolerances better. If all you're going to add to the gun are better sights and a match barrel and bushing, the RIA Tactical is the best route to take. It already has most of the items people are looking for on a 1911, and with new drop in sights and a new barrel/bushing, all you need to do is get it refinished and you've got yourself a good looking, fine shooting and reliable 1911 with not alot of money tied up in it.

Quack
03-01-2010, 18:26
Taurus or Para :tongueout:

my friend just bought a Mil-spec a few weeks back and this weekend i'm going to work it over for him with a 10-8 trigger, ambi-safety (he's a lefty), removing the ILS and cleaning up the hammer/sear.

HAIL CAESAR
03-01-2010, 18:55
my friend just bought a Mil-spec a few weeks back and this weekend i'm going to work it over for him with a 10-8 trigger, ambi-safety (he's a lefty), removing the ILS and cleaning up the hammer/sear.

That is might nice of ya.

The Para and Tuari joke wasn't even funny.:tongueout:

Quack
03-01-2010, 19:03
That is might nice of ya.

well it save's me from buying my own (to work on) and i can buy other things, like another AR and AK :rofl:

HAIL CAESAR
03-01-2010, 19:42
well it save's me from buying my own (to work on) and i can buy other things, like another AR and AK :rofl:

I hear you. I get the urge to buy a gun and do a little tinkering myself sometimes then along comes someone with a little work to be done. It usually satisfies my cravings...for a while.:whistling:

CMG
03-02-2010, 13:06
Well I got enough quotes to warrant me to re-read
The original post and I can't find where he says he wants a base gun for a "build" project. Just says he wants a "base" gun.
As that statement, I still vote RIA.

Now if he wants to build a race gun, or add on a lot of stuff and so forth, then I would also consider a Springer.

You're right, it is a matter of semantics, and like H'C', to me "base gun" means one to be customized, while "basic gun" means one to leave as-issued.

Between the two brands the OP asked about: SA as a "base gun"... or either one for a "basic gun".

Cobra64
03-02-2010, 13:44
I would go with Springfield. Some pistolsmiths won't even work on anything other than a Colt or Springfield.

And for a $150 differential, it shouldn't make a spit of difference in the total project scheme.

Cobra64
03-02-2010, 13:46

If he's building up a 1911A1, then the tactical makes no sense.

ambluemax
03-02-2010, 13:56
A building is only as good as it's foundation => Springer. The warrenty alone justifies the extra cost.

Cobra64
03-02-2010, 15:56
A building is only as good as it's foundation => Springer. The warrenty alone justifies the extra cost.

Excellent summary.

deMontacute
03-02-2010, 18:39
If you need a "base" gun for a build, you are going to want a forged frame to build off. Therefore RIA is tossed out immediately, leaving you with the Springfield...

2006HighSierra
03-03-2010, 09:30
I actually didn't know at first the RIA wasn't a forged frame. I do want it as a base gun to build on. Nothing really wild though, and I hate front slide serations. I just want a pretty basic 1911A1 with a 10-8 trigger, safety/hammer/grip safety upgrade, and maybe some VZ grips or some nice wood. I am mighty tempted to get the RIA for a truck gun though.

blakerm
03-03-2010, 10:53
Although the only 1911's I own are Springfield, I think you will be happy with either purchase. I have never owned a RI, I hear they are good pistols. But with that said, I want you to buy Springfield, its a little more gun, for a little more money, even if its just riding in the truck.

jrs93accord
03-03-2010, 15:25
well this seems one sided enough...I may just pass on the RIA

That is because there are a lot of 1911 owners out there who have never owned or shot a RIA 1911. There are a several that have a modified RIA, my brother included, that love them. I have three RIA 1911s in my collection that are in stock form. My brother has a nice nickel plated RIA that a local gunsmith had modified. It is a stunning gun. According my brother, it is a blast to shoot. It shoots a lot better than his Springfield 1911 GI. As a matter of fact, the gunsmith who did the work on the RIA refused to touch my brother's Springfield. All he wanted was a set of upgraded sights. The gunsmith said that it is fine they way it is. The basic RIA 1911A1 is a much better investment to start with. At a lower price, it gives an opportunity to save a little money when it comes to upgrading and overall investment. For me, the RIA Tactical has most upgrades already.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m8/jamesrea_2006/jamesrea_08/jamesrea09/DSC00703.jpg

Note: Tactical model is on top

Longshot308
03-03-2010, 16:28
"Springfield"

ilgunguygt
03-03-2010, 16:42
That is because there are a lot of 1911 owners out there who have never owned or shot a RIA 1911. There are a several that have a modified RIA, my brother included, that love them. I have three RIA 1911s in my collection that are in stock form. My brother has a nice nickel plated RIA that a local gunsmith had modified. It is a stunning gun. According my brother, it is a blast to shoot. It shoots a lot better than his Springfield 1911 GI. As a matter of fact, the gunsmith who did the work on the RIA refused to touch my brother's Springfield. All he wanted was a set of upgraded sights. The gunsmith said that it is fine they way it is. The basic RIA 1911A1 is a much better investment to start with. At a lower price, it gives an opportunity to save a little money when it comes to upgrading and overall investment. For me, the RIA Tactical has most upgrades already.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m8/jamesrea_2006/jamesrea_08/jamesrea09/DSC00703.jpg

Note: Tactical model is on top
I own a RIA, and love it. I dont own a Springfield, and dont want one. However, the RIA will never be the investment that a Springfield will. The RIA is a great shooters gun, something to run a ton of ammo through, but an investment it is not.

anyplainjoe
03-03-2010, 20:23
If building up a 1911, why not get something without the made in Brazil or Philippines stamp? Tarting up a 1911 import seems silly.

2006HighSierra
03-08-2010, 07:26
After looking at some RIA forums and such I'm finding myself still on the table on this decision. I've got a few projects going right now and can't shell out a whole lot of cash, and I'm having extreme difficulty finding any mil spec springers for less than $6-675. Going with the GI springer I have no beveled magwel, poor extractor(or so I've read), and smaller ejection port cut. It's also around $550. But for over $100 less I can get the RIA with bigger ejection port *and* beveled magwell. Sights on it completely suck balls and will have to be changed however. Any idea what cost I might be looking at for upgrading sights? Only immediate thing I want to do is 10-8 trigger, VZ grips, and sights. I don't plan on getting rid of the gun so resale don't concern me, and I haven't met an unhappy RIA owner yet. I'm going to start saving back to get a Wilson CQB hopefully around the end of this year but in the meantime I just want something to get the feel of the 1911 platform. I ain't crazy about the RIA's birthplace but aren't the mil spec springers made in brazil(at least frame wise)?

GAFinch
03-08-2010, 18:36
If you're going to be paying someone to do any of the upgrades, ask around town to see which brand they'd be happier to work on.

Quack
03-08-2010, 19:04
just to mix it up a little...

I actually didn't know at first the RIA wasn't a forged frame. I do want it as a base gun to build on. Nothing really wild though, and I hate front slide serations. I just want a pretty basic 1911A1 with a 10-8 trigger, safety/hammer/grip safety upgrade, and maybe some VZ grips or some nice wood. I am mighty tempted to get the RIA for a truck gun though.

since you are going to be changing a bit of stuff and getting it Cerakoted, why not start with something like a Fusion Scout Kit ($679).
http://www.fusionfirearms.com/menu/1911_kits.htm

This is our NEW Fusion Scout model, 5 inch 1911 pre-fit pistol kit in carbon steel, in the white. This kit makes your building experience an enjoyable one. The Fusion Pro-Series Scout kit already has most of the difficult items completed for you. So you do not need special tools or machinery to build a very high quality custom 1911 pistol worth thousands of dollars.

This high quality kit comes with the following:
� Fitted frame & Slide
� Custom Flat top slide with rear Sure-Grip cocking serrations
� Lowered and Relieved ejection port
� Frame milled for Fusion, STI, Wilson barrel ramp cut
� Fitted ramped match barrel, barrel link and link pin
� Fitted stainless steel 400 Series heat-treated barrel bushing
� Fitted slide stop
� Extended Ejector installed
� Plunger tube installed
� Recoil system with full length guide rod, recoil spring and cap
� Undercut trigger-guard
� Chain-Link Stippled front strap
� Beveled magazine well
� .25 Radius cut for high-ride beavertail
� Rear Sight cuts (Novak or Bomar style)
� .300 x 60 deg x .060 front sight cut, Standard for all STI front sight
cuts
� All parts matte bead blast finished

http://www.fusionfirearms.com/images/kits/scout%20Kit%201%2045%20acp.jpg

Eyescream
03-08-2010, 19:47
just to mix it up a little...

since you are going to be changing a bit of stuff and getting it Cerakoted, why not start with something like a Fusion Scout Kit ($679).
http://www.fusionfirearms.com/menu/1911_kits.htm

That's actually a really good idea.

2006HighSierra
03-09-2010, 09:41
Well thanks for the input, I ended up going RIA. I'm glad you posted that fusion kit though, I didn't know about that. More than likely 1911s will become an addiction like most guns I pick up and I might look into gettin one.

anyplainjoe
03-09-2010, 18:23
it's like souping up a Cavalier - don't dump money into it, just save towards the Wilson. I think RIA includes a sheet of paper driving new owners to the forum - brilliant marketing.

jrs93accord
03-09-2010, 19:00
it's like souping up a Cavalier - don't dump money into it, just save towards the Wilson. I think RIA includes a sheet of paper driving new owners to the forum - brilliant marketing.

It is more like souping up a base model Camaro. The foundation is already there, but with a few mods here and there, you can have the performance of a top of the line SS model for a fraction of the cost. Rock Island is a rock solid base 1911.

GreyEclipse
03-09-2010, 21:26
Springfield.

anyplainjoe
03-09-2010, 22:39
It is more like souping up a base model Camaro. The foundation is already there, but with a few mods here and there, you can have the performance of a top of the line SS model for a fraction of the cost. Rock Island is a rock solid base 1911.

While the OP said he wouldn't sell it, the last used RIA I saw for sale had a ton of Wilson Combat parts added to it and it was still only priced at $475. Just save up for the Wilson, tarting up the RIA will just move you farther away from your goal.

Cobra64
03-09-2010, 23:09
But for gun to ever "build" on the Springer is the way to go. Heck there are custom smiths that will not even work on a RIA.

Why isn't Colt a consideration for a build platform?

JBJ16
03-10-2010, 04:50
Springfield to build on. RIA to keep just stock, being as reliable as is from the box. :cool: