Point of Seat Belt Cutter [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Point of Seat Belt Cutter

Burns
03-01-2010, 09:33
Hi folks,

What is the point of a seat belt cutter? Why can't I just use a regular razor or the normal knife blade?

Also, is the belt cutter good for any other tasks (more so than a regular blade?

Thanks for your input,

Burns

Adjuster
03-01-2010, 09:38
I believe purpose built seat belt cutters are made to be fool proof and with safety in mind. They are made to hook around the seat belt and then pull. In a panic situation this would be easier then opening a blade and trying to saw through a belt with the blade constantly slipping off and needing to be repositioned. For safety a seat belt cutter, at least the ones I have seen, have no exposed blade to accidentally cut yourself or others. If you are reaching for this blade you can assume there is some panic mode involved.

Burns
03-01-2010, 09:47
I believe purpose built seat belt cutters are made to be fool proof and with safety in mind. They are made to hook around the seat belt and then pull. In a panic situation this would be easier then opening a blade and trying to saw through a belt with the blade constantly slipping off and needing to be repositioned. For safety a seat belt cutter, at least the ones I have seen, have no exposed blade to accidentally cut yourself or others. If you are reaching for this blade you can assume there is some panic mode involved.

That makes sense. Thanks.

Morris
03-01-2010, 09:49
Adjuster has a good post. My wife declines to carry a knife (her choice) but does have a seat belt cutter available in the front of the car. It's easier for her to deploy and use in a crisis situation versus an unfamiliar and potentially inaccessible folder or fixed.

farley45
03-01-2010, 09:53

Good post.

I'll add that along with something to cut a seat belt you may want to think about something that can break the window as well.

Jeepnik
03-01-2010, 19:40
Here's an interesting tidbit on the V Blade rescue tools. These were used by the Air Force starting back in the 50's, maybe even earlier. It actually took the civilian world (and probably jumpstarted by some old airdales) until the 80's for them to begin to show up in numbers. The lack of seatbelts and shoulder straps in earlier vintage cars is likely why they took a while to catch on.

From personal use, I can tell you that one can cut a pilot out of his restraint straps fast as all get out with one. Of course adrenalin helped:whistling:

Morris
03-01-2010, 22:48
Benchmade has a combo tool of cutter and window punch: http://www.benchmade.com/products/30200

SuperSleuth
03-02-2010, 02:07
Benchmade has a combo tool of cutter and window punch: http://www.benchmade.com/products/30200

I keep one of those in my car. I also have this on my keychain:

http://www.benchmade.com/products/30100