Kimber Eclipse Ultra II 3" - Failures [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Kimber Eclipse Ultra II 3" - Failures

Glock30 Guy
03-01-2010, 17:14
I bought my new Kimber last week and have fired about 600 rounds of FMJ thru it. Day 1, I shot 150 with no issues at all, I was thrilled. Day 2, after a good cleaning, I shot 200 rounds but experienced 6-7 failures to load the next round. The slide popped/stuck open and locked and didn't load the next round. I pulled back on the slide and it then loaded that round. Came home, cleaned it again and went back today. Same deal....250 rounds and maybe 6-7 times it failed to load either a random round or the last round. I'm using both Kimber and Wilson Combat mags. It happened with both. Dealer said it may take 1000 rounds to get this thing broken in. Otherwise, it shoots like a charm. Any advice? Not real happy about having to spend $400 dollars in ammo on getting it to work well enough that I can trust it with my life.

HAIL CAESAR
03-01-2010, 17:19
Just asking, is the slide locked back with the slide lock engaged when these stoppages occurred?

Quack
03-01-2010, 17:19
what ammo were you using?

Glock30 Guy
03-01-2010, 17:21
No, I dont think so. I just pull it further back and release...it then loads that round. Maybe limp wristing? Never was an issue with any other model. I was trying to keep it steady after I had a few failures too.

Glock30 Guy
03-01-2010, 17:22
For the first 400 rounds it was FMJ Blazer 230 gr. Then I wanted to try some other rounds on day 2 in case it was the ammo so I used Winchester SXT, Golden Sabre, and a few Hornady rounds I had.

HAIL CAESAR
03-01-2010, 17:24
If it is engaging the slide lock then it is one of two things. Both are easy to correct.

If not that....I'd have to see it as it is too hard to diagnose over the errornet.

Glock30 Guy
03-01-2010, 17:29
There was never a bullet or case holding the slide open so the slide lock must have been engaged. I guess I wasn't paying attention to the details I was so pissed off. I looked down and saw the next round still sitting at the top of the mag just waiting to be picked up. I pulled back, the slide lock released, and the round chambered without an issue. Advice?

HAIL CAESAR
03-01-2010, 17:45
There was never a bullet or case holding the slide open so the slide lock must have been engaged. I guess I wasn't paying attention to the details I was so pissed off. I looked down and saw the next round still sitting at the top of the mag just waiting to be picked up. I pulled back, the slide lock released, and the round chambered without an issue. Advice?

One of two things.

#1You are hitting the slide stop with your left thumb under recoil causing the stop to engage. Don't get upset, that is a very, very, very common cause with new 1911 shooters. Just try shooting it again with caution to were your left thumb is.

#2. Is the bullets are coming up the magazine and hitting the lobe of the slide stop form inside the fame. Look in there, you will see what I mean. Again, Kimber was semi famous for this awhile back. They will even send you the "New, revised slide stop" in the mail if you call. Either that or a 5 minute job with a file. Easy nevertheless.

Next time you shoot it and it stops...you stop and look it over reallllllly good and take pics or describe in great detail what is going on and I'll try to help over the stupidnet or on the phone.

Either way, keep us informed.:wavey:

Glock30 Guy
03-01-2010, 17:51
It might be #2. I was very cautious about my left hand and thumb placement. Kept it very low. I'm going back again tomorrow with another combo of ammo to see what works and what doesnt. I'll call Kimber too and have them send me the part if that helps. Thanks for the info. I do like the gun but have never ever had to go thru this with any other gun. Most are simple and work right out of the box. Looking forward to trusting this one too.

HAIL CAESAR
03-01-2010, 17:56
If it started doing it again, try shooting the old "tea cup and saucer" grip. It is a terrible way to grip a gun but it will let you know in a heartbeat if you are hitting it with you left hand somehow. Just use it to take hitting it with your left hand totally out of the equation.

WRXcelration
03-01-2010, 18:18
I had the same issue with Kimber when I 1st started shooting. My thumb engaged the slide stop and it would not hold the slide back on the last round.

Glock30 Guy
03-02-2010, 05:52
Went to the range again last night...made sure to keep my thumb away from slide lock. Fired as you suggested. Still had about 8 failures to load with 200 rounds fired. Slide does lock open while there are still more rounds to go. I pull back and release and it loads just fine. Seems to happen with any type ammo. Used 5 types including +p. Should I keep dumping money into firing more rounds, already did over 1000. Or should I send it to Kimber to see what's up. I'm beginning to think this just isnt worth it. I like the gun but between the cost of the gun and now all the money in ammo, I could have bought three trouble free Glocks.

HAIL CAESAR
03-02-2010, 11:44
Went to the range again last night...made sure to keep my thumb away from slide lock. Fired as you suggested. Still had about 8 failures to load with 200 rounds fired. Slide does lock open while there are still more rounds to go. I pull back and release and it loads just fine. Seems to happen with any type ammo. Used 5 types including +p. Should I keep dumping money into firing more rounds, already did over 1000. Or should I send it to Kimber to see what's up. I'm beginning to think this just isnt worth it. I like the gun but between the cost of the gun and now all the money in ammo, I could have bought three trouble free Glocks.

Nope don't fire another round. Take it to a smith or send it back to Kimber.

MGK3
03-02-2010, 13:39
Had the same problem with a new kimber Eclispe Carry 2. I understand this has been a long term problem with Kimbers. Different mags didn't seem to help with the premature lock backs. Kimber sent me new slide stop still no luck. I did a little research on the internet and found a solution. File back the slide stop where it contacts the round.
What I did was remove the slide assembly from the pistol. With the slide stop in place insert a loaded mag slowly and you should see the slide stop move it up. This is not good, it should only move up when the mag follower pushes it up. I took a file and worked the slide stop where it contacts the round until it stopped moving up. Make sure the round is fully forward in the mag, so you can see where it fully contacts the slide stop. Be careful, go slow and it should fix the problem. Don't take off too much or it will you won't be able to lock the slide back on an empty mag. That's all Kimber is going to do. Polish the area when done. Put a little cold bluing on the slide stop where you filed it to protect it. Beside, slide stops are cheap, I used a Colt Govt model slide stop on mine. Any Gov't model slide stop should work.
I also drilled a small detent hole on the side of the slide stop where the plunger spring contacts the slide stop for aid in this effort. Now all is good without a trip to Kimber.

The gun is amazingly accurate and joy to shoot, worth trouble.

MGK

Glock30 Guy
03-02-2010, 14:54
Went to the range again today and had the same issues. Gunsmith was there and this is also where I bought it. He took it this morning and haven't heard back yet. I'm not going to file down anything. If this is a know issue, and Kimber is aware of it, I either want it fixed professionally or I want a refund. A gun that costs over $1000 should not have such ridiculous issues right out of the box. I am very sour on Kimbers right now. The idea that I have to start filing down components is a joke. How can I possibly carry this gun and believe in it.

Update: Just talked to Kimber. They are sending me the replacement slide stop...it takes a week to get here. They only ship via regular mail. Also checked to see when it was manufactured. Jan 2010.

MGK3
03-02-2010, 17:56
I feel your pain. At least you know what needs to be done, whether, you, your gunsmith, Uncle Charlie, Kimber or whomever does the work.

Problems with new 1911 are not exactly rare.

Kimber sent me a slide stop that did nothing to fix the problem, therefore I took care of it myself. Good Luck

HAIL CAESAR
03-02-2010, 18:16
Went to the range again today and had the same issues. Gunsmith was there and this is also where I bought it. He took it this morning and haven't heard back yet. I'm not going to file down anything. If this is a know issue, and Kimber is aware of it, I either want it fixed professionally or I want a refund. A gun that costs over $1000 should not have such ridiculous issues right out of the box. I am very sour on Kimbers right now. The idea that I have to start filing down components is a joke. How can I possibly carry this gun and believe in it.

Update: Just talked to Kimber. They are sending me the replacement slide stop...it takes a week to get here. They only ship via regular mail. Also checked to see when it was manufactured. Jan 2010.

Kind of sours ya huh? Me TOO! That and other things is why I despise Kimber these days and don't recommend them, especially to new folks.

You: My gun is locking back for no reason.

Kimber: Yeah, we know. It is a problem we have had for over a year and haven't done anything to fix it. BUT, we will send you your new revised slide stop we have to fix your problem that we are too stupid and lazy to actually start using at the factory. The part will get there in an week or two, enjoy your paperweight until then.

That sound about right?

VanguardMP
03-02-2010, 19:31
Yeah, my wife's UCII did the samething. I called Kimber and they sent out the new slide stop, but I got it within a couple of days. Hopefully you won't have to wait too long. It solved the problem. You'll enjoy it even more after you change the slide stop out.

VMP

Glock30 Guy
03-03-2010, 07:30
Yes Hail Cesar, that is exactly what they said. Yet I keep hearing that the slide stop change will do nothing. She said IF that new part doesn't work, call back and arrange to have it shipped to them for repairs. It will be weeks of gunsmiths, testing, fixing and waiting before it's fixed. Right now it's with a local 1911 gunsmith who works for the place I bought it. He seemed to be aware of what caused the problem so if he files something down at least he knows what he is doing. When the new part arrives, I'll use that too. It's such a shame that such a beautiful gun has to start off with these issues. Kimber makes 70,000 gun a year and were fully aware of this issue. When it works, it a pleasure to shoot and just as nice to carry. Given this experience, I dont think I'll ever buy another Kimber. I've fired 10's of thousands of rounds from my Sigs and Glocks over the past 20 years with never one problem. I can't even get this one to fire 20 rounds without the slide locking back. I had such high hopes. Just goes to show you that the cost of a gun doesn't always mean better quality. Makes me love my Glocks even more now.

Rinspeed
03-03-2010, 08:43
A couple strokes with a file should take care it. I don't blame you for being upset but this is a fairly easy problem to take care of.

SIGShooter
03-03-2010, 12:03
You could do what my wife did...

Call Kimber back, tell them they should probably go into the waste management business because the only thing they're good at making is ****.

$1150.00, Ultra Carry Crimson Trace 1911, Rusted the first day, wouldn't feed ammunition, failed to lock on an empty mag, would lock during firing on a full mag.

I was hoping that Kimber had changed a little bit. I guess not though. I have been looking for an alloy framed 1911 for carry. I've also been looking for a 3" 1911 for my wife.

HAIL CAESAR
03-03-2010, 12:08

Call Kimber back, tell them they should probably go into the waste management business because the only thing they're good at making is ****.

$1150.00, Ultra Carry Crimson Trace 1911, Rusted the first day, wouldn't feed ammunition, failed to lock on an empty mag, would lock during firing on a full mag.

I was hoping that Kimber had changed a little bit. I guess not though. I have been looking for an alloy framed 1911 for carry. I've also been looking for a 3" 1911 for my wife.

No, they are still ****. Most the local HONEST gun shops are telling folks not to buy them anymore for cc. And darn near all are telling LEO to shy away.

HAIL CAESAR
03-03-2010, 12:11
Yes Hail Cesar, that is exactly what they said. Yet I keep hearing that the slide stop change will do nothing. She said IF that new part doesn't work, call back and arrange to have it shipped to them for repairs. It will be weeks of gunsmiths, testing, fixing and waiting before it's fixed. Right now it's with a local 1911 gunsmith who works for the place I bought it. He seemed to be aware of what caused the problem so if he files something down at least he knows what he is doing. When the new part arrives, I'll use that too. It's such a shame that such a beautiful gun has to start off with these issues. Kimber makes 70,000 gun a year and were fully aware of this issue. When it works, it a pleasure to shoot and just as nice to carry. Given this experience, I dont think I'll ever buy another Kimber. I've fired 10's of thousands of rounds from my Sigs and Glocks over the past 20 years with never one problem. I can't even get this one to fire 20 rounds without the slide locking back. I had such high hopes. Just goes to show you that the cost of a gun doesn't always mean better quality. Makes me love my Glocks even more now.

I know. And I know it makes you either want to bang your head against a wall or bang someone else's head against the wall.

dakrat
03-03-2010, 12:21

IMO, a 3" 1911 is very finicky and is very particular on what ammo it eats. good luck on your next 1911 venture

Line Rider
03-03-2010, 12:32
Many short 1911's have cycling issues. I've heard a many shooter said " Never trust anything but a 5 inch( full size) with you life".

Black Cloud
03-03-2010, 13:04

Why should they do anything about it?
Until people stop buying their product it will continue. Hit them in thier pockets, then sit back and wait for change.

MGK3
03-03-2010, 14:39
Wow, All the Kimber hate. I'm not sure if things are worse today or not, but people use the internet forums for a bully pulpit and make sure EVERYONE knows about their issue (real or imagined). Everyone seems to have issues today (Sig, Colt, Toyota).

Glock30 guy
After you get the slide stop modified, you'll love the gun. Since, I don't have a great deal of experience with Kimber's customer service and didn't want to wait 4- 8 weeks for them to maybe "fix it", I fixed it myself. It took two weeks to get the replacement slide stop. Now, the gun will feed anything and has been 100% reliable. Yes I would trust my life to it now.

GVFlyer
03-03-2010, 15:25
My single experience with Kimber was not positive. Subsequently, I won't be buying another one. Additionally, with a 3 inch Kimber, you also have Newton's Second Law of Motion working against you - it will never be as reliable as a 5 inch gun.

pistolwrench
03-03-2010, 15:53
Kimber continues to make the same old dumb mistakes.

The slide stop/premature lock-back issue has been ongoing for years!
Why don't they correct it? I'd guess that they bought 10,000 out of spec slide stops from an offshore manufacturer and are not willing to scrap 10k worth of parts. They could rework them, but that would require man-hours. Most owners of Kimbers are probably content with 90% function.

Another BIG mistake is Dennis in Customer Service. He sounds like a real JERK.

But remember Kimber is targeting the casual user. I'm sure they have done studies that indicate that their current quality and price point, is the most profitable.

It's just like anything/everything else targeting the American consumer.
Bling and hype trump true quality most every day.

Sad.

SIGShooter
03-03-2010, 16:07
IMO, a 3" 1911 is very finicky and is very particular on what ammo it eats. good luck on your next 1911 venture

It kills me, I had an awesome Springfield Armory Micro Compact that wouldn't quit.

That gun is the reason my wife started shooting 1911s. Like an idiot, I sold it.

That's why she went and bought the Kimber.

I'll be honest with you, that SA Micro fed and shot anything I put in it. The only ammunition issue it had was with the older style Hydra-Shoks. They did not like to expand at all. Anything else, like butta!!!

SIGShooter
03-03-2010, 16:15
Wow, All the Kimber hate. I'm not sure if things are worse today or not, but people use the internet forums for a bully pulpit and make sure EVERYONE knows about their issue (real or imagined). Everyone seems to have issues today (Sig, Colt, Toyota).

Glock30 guy
After you get the slide stop modified, you'll love the gun. Since, I don't have a great deal of experience with Kimber's customer service and didn't want to wait 4- 8 weeks for them to maybe "fix it", I fixed it myself. It took two weeks to get the replacement slide stop. Now, the gun will feed anything and has been 100% reliable. Yes I would trust my life to it now.

How else would the word get out that something is truly messed up? Fox news doesn't broadcast about lemon gun makers do they?

People are having REAL problems with guns. Hence the reason they come out and say..."Hey, I've got this problem..." Then those with the same or similar problem come out and say..."Hey, no crap, I'm having the same issue..." Then more and more people come out and say..."Hey, me too..."

If you think that some of these issues are "Imagined" you should maybe start reading a little more.

Your Toyota comment makes me laugh. As of last week, their total recall list is 9.7 million vehicles, world wide. They are scheduled to add another 1.6 million to that in the near future. Oh, did I forget to say, the "MAN" of Toyota even admitted to skimping on the QC/QA and focused on profit. Oh, did I mention the ~115 people that have been killed from their imagined problems? Just thought I'd point that out to you.

Sig Sauer, H&K, Glock, Colt, Remington, Savage, Kimber etc...All have had problems and all have issued recalls in the past. Some companies fix their SNAFUS and others pretend to.

Glock30 Guy
03-03-2010, 16:56
Well thanks for all the feedback. I dont mean to cut down Kimber but my limited experience with them so far has not been positive. The gunsmith called today and said he fixed the issue by doing what was mentioned here. A quick file job and he was able to load and fire 3 mags/21 rounds without issues. He said it was common knowledge in his circles that Kimber 3" have this issue. An easy fix but so frustrating. I'll head to the range tomorrow and put it through my own testing. No matter how well it does, I will never buy another Kimber again. How they can knowingly sell this product with a defect is beyond belief.

HAIL CAESAR
03-03-2010, 17:04
Kimber continues to make the same old dumb mistakes.

The slide stop/premature lock-back issue has been ongoing for years!
Why don't they correct it? I'd guess that they bought 10,000 out of spec slide stops from an offshore manufacturer and are not willing to scrap 10k worth of parts. They could rework them, but that would require man-hours. Most owners of Kimbers are probably content with 90% function.

Another BIG mistake is Dennis in Customer Service. He sounds like a real JERK.

But remember Kimber is targeting the casual user. I'm sure they have done studies that indicate that their current quality and price point, is the most profitable.

It's just like anything/everything else targeting the American consumer.
Bling and hype trump true quality most every day.

Sad.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

The funniest part of all that.........is it is probably true about the 10k parts.

And definitely true about the rest.

pistolwrench
03-03-2010, 17:59
Also.....
Kimber's stated "500rd break-in policy".
What a freakin' joke!
Just gives the casual user an excuse for poor performance.So Joe can tell Bill, "Well yes, it malfunctioned repeatedly, but it is not broken in yet."

Glock30 Guy
03-03-2010, 18:11
Well mine is "broken in" now with over 1200 rounds being fired. I kept thinking that it's messing up because its not broken in yet....yea right! If they built them right to begin with, I could have saved $300 in added ammo costs. I spent over $550 in ammo costs to get this gun working since it kept having issues. In the end, it was a manufacturing issue that a file cured. I'm going back to my Glock where it's safe.

dakrat
03-03-2010, 18:23
Well thanks for all the feedback. I dont mean to cut down Kimber but my limited experience with them so far has not been positive. The gunsmith called today and said he fixed the issue by doing what was mentioned here. A quick file job and he was able to load and fire 3 mags/21 rounds without issues. He said it was common knowledge in his circles that Kimber 3" have this issue. An easy fix but so frustrating. I'll head to the range tomorrow and put it through my own testing. No matter how well it does, I will never buy another Kimber again. How they can knowingly sell this product with a defect is beyond belief.

good luck at the range tomorrow! hope everything works like it should. Kimber would rather spend the money on catchy advertisements than making their pistols right

Black Cloud
03-03-2010, 20:01
Also.....
Kimber's stated "500rd break-in policy".
What a freakin' joke!
Just gives the casual user an excuse for poor performance.So Joe can tell Bill, "Well yes, it malfunctioned repeatedly, but it is not broken in yet."

I could not of said it better.

HAIL CAESAR
03-03-2010, 21:16
Well mine is "broken in" now with over 1200 rounds being fired. I kept thinking that it's messing up because its not broken in yet....yea right! If they built them right to begin with, I could have saved $300 in added ammo costs. I spent over $550 in ammo costs to get this gun working since it kept having issues. In the end, it was a manufacturing issue that a file cured. I'm going back to my Glock where it's safe.

I wouldn't give up on 1911's, just on Kimber's.:wavey:

Glock30 Guy
03-04-2010, 05:15
Oh no, I am actually planning on another 1911, perhaps a Colt. I am not giving up on them, just Kimbers. Thanks.

Rinspeed
03-04-2010, 08:51
Oh no, I am actually planning on another 1911, perhaps a Colt. I am not giving up on them, just Kimbers. Thanks.

You're giving up on Kimber because your gun needed a three minute fix. Wow, maybe you should just stick with Glocks. Kimber puts out their share of lemons but when the run right they're a pretty decent 1911 for the money.

Glock30 Guy
03-04-2010, 17:42
I understand that Kimber probably puts out many fine guns each year. Ones with no issues. My problem is that they sold this model knowing full well that it had issues and chose to let it out of the factory and let me deal with getting it fixed. When I called them, they knew exactly what the problem was. They even had a part ready to send me to fix it. They sell guns for personal protection, not toothbrushes. If you sell some thing that really needs to work, a better quality control process needs to be in place. As far as a three minute fix...wrong. The gunsmith tried twice to fix it here and I picked it up this morning....still fails to load ammo properly. I also got the new part and installed it. Still fails. I called Kimber and asked what I needed to do to get it fixed. Their reply was to send it to them to test it. I asked how long it would take....4-6 weeks before it would be touched. Screw this. I went to the gun shop today and trade it in. Took a nice big loss and walked out with a gun that I know will work. Sig P220 45 cal. I am done with Kimber. Even if they did fix the gun and get it back to me in 6-7 weeks, I'd never feel comfortable carrying this gun to protect my life. After seeing their quality control and dealing with their less than helpful customer service dept, I am walking away and heading back to a brand that has never failed me. It's too bad, I had such high hopes for this gun that looked so nice and felt perfect in my hand.

HAIL CAESAR
03-04-2010, 19:05
If yo ever have a hankering for a 1911 of similar size again try the Colt Defender and STI. They have a very good reputation of actually working.

They may not have the fuzzy curb feelers of a Kimber, but they like putting guns out that work.

Glock30 Guy
03-06-2010, 09:40
I actually looked at the Colt Defender yesterday. A nice piece. I know they have a better reputation but after what I've gone thru in the past few weeks, I opted to buy a Sig P220 and Glock 36. I still might venture down that 1911 road one day and I am not against them at all. I think with such a loyal following they must be great guns. I'm just not in the mood to deal with it right now. I went back to what I know and like. Guns that dont require much break in and are more idiot proof. Thanks all for your support.

Megistopoda
08-02-2010, 11:03
Edited