Experience with Royal Tiger Imports built AK? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Experience with Royal Tiger Imports built AK?

Cherokee Bob
03-01-2010, 19:59
I have been reading posts on this forum for the last several months and have learned a great deal about all things AK. Thanks for all of the great info and willingness to share experiences. I have decided to add an AK to the guns I own and since I live in a remote area I have been looking at internet sources. Does anyone have experience with the AKs that Royal Tiger Imports(I.O. Inc.?) puts together? Would it be wiser to travel someplace so that I can physically get my hands on the gun to personally inspect it? Thanks for any input you may have.

Jesu27
03-03-2010, 23:57
Ive alway heard good things about Inter Ordnance (RTI.) My C&R Sks is through them and it has been great. The prices on the romy mags look like a good deal....I didn't relize they changed their name until this post so thanks.

Dmeister
03-04-2010, 06:47
Royal Tiger Imports is the retail side of I.O. Inc. out of Monroe, NC. As I recall, the receivers are made in their shop, the barrels are made by Mossberg (or the company that makes them for Mossberg), and the parts are Romanian and Tapco (could be others as well).

Here is a review by an owner (not me): http://pokin-holes.blogspot.com/2009/09/io-inc-ak47-c-review.html

I have had some experience with one and found it to be plenty accurate and put together quite nicely. The polymer mag that comes with it is questionable, but aftermarket mags are very plentiful and inexpensive. The one I worked with had no scope mount, but it had a very early serial number. They advertise them as coming with the scope mount on the left side now. The only problem with it was that the mag catch was chewed up a bit, but I.O. took it in and replaced the catch no questions asked.

table
03-08-2010, 13:30
i've owned IO Inc's STG2000C in 7.62 and the rifle was built nice. only thing i didn't like is that the fore grips weren't tight and moved up and down at the rear about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch. i sold it last year and have sellers remorse as i don't own a semi-auto rifle anymore. i've been looking at their AK47 wood model. i kinda like the traditional look. the only thing holding me back is that the barrel isn't chrome lined. but the price is excellent. according to their website the entire rifle/parts are made in the USA now. no builds on import kits. i email them last week with some questions about their AK and have yet to get a response.

Old Guard Dog
03-09-2010, 07:47
Royal Tiger Imports is the retail end of IO, Inc. I spoke with them last week, and they are very proud of their US made AK47C and STG2000-C rifles. They said I really need to get one into my hands to see the quality and fit. I have not personally seen or fired one yet, but may order one soon to check it out. I think the prices are fair, for a new rifle.

Aerobolt
03-22-2010, 21:18
Just picked up an IO inc AK47C with the new black forward grip. I have had a couple of AK type rifles over the years and feel this is an above average AK rifle and it's "Made in the USA." A real bonus! Mine has the same loose forward grip but not as bad as table reports. I put a 3 point sling on it and the front mounting strap tightened it right up. Haven't had it out yet but am looking forward to shooting it it real soon. Note: I also liked that there was no safety warnings or any other engraving/stamping on the top or sides on the receiver. All the receiver markings including serial number is on the bottom of the receiver forward of the mag well. NICE.

Now, if you want a real high quality AK type rifle for a killer price check out the Zastava PAP. I know you'll find it has a single stack 10 round magazine and thumb-hole sporter stock but the quality is superb - one of the best I've seen. And the MSRP is around $464. I paid under $400. through Davidson's gallery of guns. The IO AK had an MSRP of $745. and picked it up for just a little over $450. again through Davidson's. I would take the quality of the Zastava any day even with it's post ban limitations (single stack mag and sporter stock).

Check them out I would recommend either of these AK style long guns.

Executive Outcomes
01-30-2011, 23:03
I am an FFL dealer, and I had heard great things about IO products. I was thrilled that an American company made high-quality AK rifles for approximately what foreign-made AKs cost. A friend of mine, who is also a dealer, told me that IO AKs were hot sellers, so I was anxious to get my hands on one to try it out. I only sell products which I own, myself, so I had high hopes for IO and Royal Tiger Imports.

On October 19, 2010, I ordered an AK47C rifle from Royal Tiger Imports (RTI). After waiting several weeks to receive the order, I called customer service and spoke to Jennifer and Leah to find out what was going on. I found out that my order had been switched with another. I suspect that if I had not called about my order, I would still be waiting for it to arrive.

Moving forward.... When I received my order, the rifle and quad rail handguard had multiple issues. The handguard did not fit ANY of my AK rifles (from various manufacturers). The front of the dust cover popped up after being fired. This caused the rear sight to be pushed upward, causing poor accuracy. The front sight post also leaned several degrees to the left. I spoke to Leah, and we agreed to return the rifle for replacement. I called in after the rifle was delivered to Royal Tiger Imports, and Leah told me that the rifle barrel had been installed crookedly, and the rifle had to be condemned.

I was already sorely disappointed in the quality of RTI's products and service, and the handguard had to be replaced as well, so I suggested to Leah that my AK47C be replaced with a Hellhound. Leah said that was a possibility, but she couldn't say for certain, that she could make that expectation with me. I said "fine" and waited to receive my replacement rifle. I waited for several weeks, and had enough. I called back in and spoke to Leah again, and requested that she just refund my money for the rifle (no mention of the handguard), and we would call it good. She agreed and told me that the refund would be credited to my account within 2-3 business days. Well, it's been four weeks, now, and the refund has not appeared on my account. If you could not tell, yet, I am not terribly fond of this company. I am presently contesting the charges with my bank.

fnfalman
01-31-2011, 09:55
Could somebody explain to me why is it so hard to install the damn parts correctly in America?

twag4
01-31-2011, 11:50
Do not buy an IO Inc. AK47. You are paying for a rifle made by a company that has no quality control whatsoever. Pleas search this forum for examples. Let me tell you about my Royal (pain) Tiger/IO Inc experience in a short paragraph. Bought a new wooden furniture AK47c from them August 10. I picked it up from my FFL on August 20. First rifle was sent with the barrel mounted crooked. You could see it, then it would not zero at all when fired. Barrel came out of the receiver aimed to the left and the gun had broken furniture on it as well as a few other smaller problems. Sent it back at the beginning of September at my own expense. They sent me another rifle that had no optics rail on the left side of the receiver, but otherwise functioned reliable for the first couple hundred rounds. The first rifle was in their own words "unrepairable". Remember this. BTW i received second rifle on October 15. It then started having serious jamming issues. The bolt carrier would jump out of the rails on the right side, and the spring would force the bolt forward half out of the rifle. This was nearly impossible to unjam. I sent it back before halloween. On december 15 I finally got a replacement rifle, and those retards sent me the first rifle that I had returned to them. Yes, the one that was unrepairable. And guess what, It had not been repaired at all. I could see the barrel pointed to the left still, and the other issues still were not corrected. They paid for return and agreed on December 15 to give me a refund. I just got the check from them last Friday. The part that really got me during all of this was the fact that they would tell me over and over how the rifle or the check was shipped, a week later I would call them having not received the item, and they were going to ship it today. A week later same thing. They will lie to you. I was always friendly to them, and they always lied to me. I was always patient, and they always lied to me. Their rifles are not good, not good!
If you want a rifle that you never get to actually possess, then by all means go with royal tiger and their broke, QC less AK47. You will regret it though.

Ermac
01-31-2011, 19:55
They make **** guns and they have **** service. Don't deal with IO INC or royal tiger imports.

Mail Clerk
02-01-2011, 09:19
I have been reading posts on this forum for the last several months and have learned a great deal about all things AK. Thanks for all of the great info and willingness to share experiences. I have decided to add an AK to the guns I own and since I live in a remote area I have been looking at internet sources. Does anyone have experience with the AKs that Royal Tiger Imports(I.O. Inc.?) puts together? Would it be wiser to travel someplace so that I can physically get my hands on the gun to personally inspect it? Thanks for any input you may have.

Cherokee Bob,

Dispite all the negative posting about this product I decided to try one out and my fairly new bought version seems to operate OK so far although it only has about 60 rounds put through it. My only current issues is trying to sight it in at 59 yards it printed just outside the black about 4-5 o'clock and so pushing the front sight as far right as possible didn't appear to d much. I intend to shoot it again using another brand of ammo to see if it'll print/group differently. Reliability wise it seems to be fine. What do you guys think about my issue???

Mail Clerk

twag4
02-01-2011, 17:29
My only current issues is trying to sight it in at 59 yards it printed just outside the black about 4-5 o'clock and so pushing the front sight as far right as possible didn't appear to d much.

As I mentioned above, my barrel was mounted crooked. Also, shoot 300-500 rounds before you decide on reliability. I was initially pleased with functionality of all of the rifles they sent. Inability to sight in first one due to barrel mounted crooked, at close to 300 rounds on second one the severe jamming began. They sent the first one back unrepaired as a replacement for the broken second rifle they sent me. I hope your problems are not just beginning, but you are the fourth person I have read about not including myself with this exact scenario. Good Luck my friend.

CarlosC
02-01-2011, 21:50
The problems with the STG-2000 series of rifles are E-A-S-Y to fix. The loose foregrips are remedied with some epoxy. The gap on the front is fixed with a simple o-ring.

Aurora
02-02-2011, 17:41
Could somebody explain to me why is it so hard to install the damn parts correctly in America?

I think it's because people have the perception that it doesn't take any skill to assemble an AK.

V.

Mail Clerk
02-03-2011, 09:02
As I mentioned above, my barrel was mounted crooked. Also, shoot 300-500 rounds before you decide on reliability. I was initially pleased with functionality of all of the rifles they sent. Inability to sight in first one due to barrel mounted crooked, at close to 300 rounds on second one the severe jamming began. They sent the first one back unrepaired as a replacement for the broken second rifle they sent me. I hope your problems are not just beginning, but you are the fourth person I have read about not including myself with this exact scenario. Good Luck my friend.

twag4,

For myself I look forward to my first 300 rounds to see what happens. IF it doesn' work out for me then I'll pay to get it back to them for a repair. Time will tell if IO gets their act together. Until I get a good some of ammo hat the range will allow then I could test it our more throughly. My range is very picky here in California. Your know.... steel is evil to use. In addition, I wonder if my poor groups might be due to the muzzle brake. My groups are to the right and my slant brake is also to the right BUT then again I shoot left handed so my groups can group to the right also??? Am I on the right track?? Maybe?

Mail Clerk