Custom Made Kydex/Plastic Sheath? No, not as easy as it sounds [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Custom Made Kydex/Plastic Sheath? No, not as easy as it sounds

fnfalman
03-01-2010, 22:15
I have a Blackhawk Nightwing as a Christmas present. My tactical/combat knives days are long over, but apparently a friend still thinks that I need another combat knife. But hey, looking inside the mouth of a gift horse and all that...

Anyway, I wanted to turn it into a dive knife just for giggles and grins. I figure it'd come in handy when it's time to annihilate sea urchins that have infested certain areas. The typical kydex sheath are not diveable, at least not if you want to retain your knife. I've been searching high and low on the intraweb but I can't find anybody that would make a kydex sheath to a design that would support scuba activities.

If anybody know of a sheathmaker that would be willing to work with me on modifying his/her current designs for my needs, I'd appreciate the info.

w4004p
03-02-2010, 02:07
I have a Blackhawk Nightwing as a Christmas present. My tactical/combat knives days are long over, but apparently a friend still thinks that I need another combat knife. But hey, looking inside the mouth of a gift horse and all that...

Anyway, I wanted to turn it into a dive knife just for giggles and grins. I figure it'd come in handy when it's time to annihilate sea urchins that have infested certain areas. The typical kydex sheath are not diveable, at least not if you want to retain your knife. I've been searching high and low on the intraweb but I can't find anybody that would make a kydex sheath to a design that would support scuba activities.

If anybody know of a sheathmaker that would be willing to work with me on modifying his/her current designs for my needs, I'd appreciate the info.

i'm curious what you mean by this. are you talking about the injection molded plastic sheaths that come with main stream brand knives? or are you talking about custom FORMED kydex sheaths?

i ask because, when i make a sheath/holster, i decide how much retention there is. the sheath (i made) for my Nimravus is tight enough where you can't use inertia to make it come out. i mean, if you're holding the sheath in your hand with the handle down and make a sudden jerking motion down then up, it will not budge.

i made a holster for a co-worker that rides a motorcycle. i made that one pretty tight and told him if he wanted it looser to let me know and i could adjust it for him.

anybody who's been bending for awhile should be able make a sheath as tight or as loose as you want it.

fnfalman
03-02-2010, 10:36
i'm curious what you mean by this. are you talking about the injection molded plastic sheaths that come with main stream brand knives? or are you talking about custom FORMED kydex sheaths?

i ask because, when i make a sheath/holster, i decide how much retention there is. the sheath (i made) for my Nimravus is tight enough where you can't use inertia to make it come out. i mean, if you're holding the sheath in your hand with the handle down and make a sudden jerking motion down then up, it will not budge.

i made a holster for a co-worker that rides a motorcycle. i made that one pretty tight and told him if he wanted it looser to let me know and i could adjust it for him.

anybody who's been bending for awhile should be able make a sheath as tight or as loose as you want it.

The holding tension isn't all that important in a dive knife but having a positive retention (some sort of strap system) is. I'm thinking of a Kydex/regular plastic (doesn't matter) sheath with two belt loops (one at the bottom by the tip and one at the top by the grip) that can accomodate 1" rubber dive straps, and a velcro strap that can secure the sheath to the knife, or maybe a bungie cord loop.

I can draw up the diagrams to show what I want. I just need somebody who's willing to make a sheath.

If you're game, then I can hand draw something and email it to you.

w4004p
03-02-2010, 13:54
The holding tension isn't all that important in a dive knife but having a positive retention (some sort of strap system) is. I'm thinking of a Kydex/regular plastic (doesn't matter) sheath with two belt loops (one at the bottom by the tip and one at the top by the grip) that can accomodate 1" rubber dive straps, and a velcro strap that can secure the sheath to the knife, or maybe a bungie cord loop.

I can draw up the diagrams to show what I want. I just need somebody who's willing to make a sheath.

If you're game, then I can hand draw something and email it to you.

:rofl: i think i get it, you mean the how well secured the sheath is to your body and not how well secured the knife is inside the sheath? now, that makes sense, sorry for the misunderstanding. but you still want some type of retention strap that would have to be popped loose to draw the knife?

do you already have the dive straps? shouldn't be a problem. email me some drawings of what you want and i'll let you know.

i'm used to getting requests for non-typical stuff, that's the nature of a custom business. show me exactly what you want and i'll tell you, straight up, whether or not i can do it for you :cool:

fnfalman
03-02-2010, 16:42
:rofl: i think i get it, you mean the how well secured the sheath is to your body and not how well secured the knife is inside the sheath? now, that makes sense, sorry for the misunderstanding. but you still want some type of retention strap that would have to be popped loose to draw the knife?

do you already have the dive straps? shouldn't be a problem. email me some drawings of what you want and i'll let you know.

i'm used to getting requests for non-typical stuff, that's the nature of a custom business. show me exactly what you want and i'll tell you, straight up, whether or not i can do it for you :cool:

Don't get me wrong, having the knife secured in a sheath is a big thing. I don't want to contribute to Davy Jones' lockers any more than I already have. But how tightly the knife being held in the sheath just by tension alone is not all that important in a dive knife as on a land knife. You don't have to worry about quick drawing in the water and you DO NOT want to have something that does not have a truly positive retention when you jump in the water. All sorts of friction fit things come off.:faint:

Anyway, I'll put some thoughts into it and draw something up. My regular cutting implements are trauma shears and a Spyderco Pacific Salt folder, but now and then for giggles and grins or for getting medieval on the infesting sea urchins' asses, I'd like to have a long bladed knife.

w4004p
03-02-2010, 17:10
Don't get me wrong, having the knife secured in a sheath is a big thing. I don't want to contribute to Davy Jones' lockers any more than I already have. But how tightly the knife being held in the sheath just by tension alone is not all that important in a dive knife as on a land knife. You don't have to worry about quick drawing in the water and you DO NOT want to have something that does not have a truly positive retention when you jump in the water. All sorts of friction fit things come off.:faint:

Anyway, I'll put some thoughts into it and draw something up. My regular cutting implements are trauma shears and a Spyderco Pacific Salt folder, but now and then for giggles and grins or for getting medieval on the infesting sea urchins' asses, I'd like to have a long bladed knife.
:crying: bummer. yea, it makes sense - lose something in the ocean, there's probably no getting it back. whenever u get the concept drawn up, just email it to will@2munkeez.com

fnfalman
03-02-2010, 17:20
Just emailed you the sketch. Please check it out and let me know if you can do it for me, or maybe we can modify the design to be more workable for you.