Just had to go and mess with it... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Just had to go and mess with it...

Orkinman
03-01-2010, 22:09
I just purchased my first revolver, a used S&W Model 65. The first thing on my list was a good cleaning. After a routine cleaning however it still had a bit of a gritty trigger pull. So using a couple online guides and an exploded view I proceeded to disassemble the fire control group. I've assembled a couple AR-15s and detail stripped my Glock so I'm pretty careful when it comes to these things. I hit a couple snags but was able to figure it all out, clean it and put it back together. The trigger pull is now silky smooth but there's a new problem now.

Previously, before I disassembled it, when I pulled the hammer back partly and moved the cylinder you heard a very satisfying click for each chamber. Now there's nothing. If I pull the hammer back partly the cylinder spins soundlessly. All other functions appear to be right. I haven't fired it yet so I can't 100% confirm that but I'm fairly sure.

Should I be worried? I did oil the internal parts and then wiped them dry which should have left them with a thin sheen of oil for protection. Could that be causing this?

EDIT: Took it apart again to see check the function and I guess it's the hand that would make the audible click when the cylinder is rotated. Still don't know why it doesn't make the click anymore. I did notice though if I pull the trigger "slightly" to allow the cylinder to rotate it does make the click, but not when I pull the hammer back slightly. What the heck did I do to it?

G33
03-01-2010, 23:29
Pull the hammer back to SA lock.
Does the cylinder lock in place?

DA does the cylinder lock in place just before the hammer falls?

As long as the cylinder does not freewheel around in those two points, you should be OK.

Hard to tell over the Net.
:supergrin:

Orkinman
03-02-2010, 08:53
Yes, the cylinder is locking in place as it should in SA and DA.

The hand does appear to be the component not functioning but I don't know the root cause. So it appears one of the functions of the hand is to allow the cylinder to rotate only one way. But in this case the cylinder is allow to rotate in either direction ONLY when I pull the hammer back slightly. If I fully cock the the hammer the cylinder only moves one direction.

G33
03-02-2010, 10:38
OK, something bad.
Should freewheel only to left as seen from shooting stance.

Gunsmith time.
:whistling:

Berto
03-11-2010, 10:55
Ruh roh.