Where to shoot outside, in the St. Louis area? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Where to shoot outside, in the St. Louis area?

REA9mm
03-02-2010, 16:15
With the warm weather approaching and the Jay Henges Shooting Range closed for upgrades until September 2010, where does one go to to shoot outdoors in the St. Louis region? I generally go to to top gun, but 25 yards is not enough for shooting an AR. And, unfortunately, I and most of my friends live in the city, so no shooting on private property for me.

So, without turning it into more than a 1 hour or longer trip, where does one shoot?

TIA for any info, and maybe we can meet up to put some rounds down range.

mister happy
03-04-2010, 11:16
Of course, Busch is available. They're at 2360 Highway D, St. Charles. Exit I64/US40 at Mo 94 once you cross the Boone bridge, go south, and then east on D. 10am-4pm, closed on Wed. and Thurs.

Probably shouldn't have told you about it - it's crazy busy since Henges is closed.

Further out, there are a couple of unmanned state ranges in the area that I've been meaning to try: One is Frank Reifsnider State Forest, 2 miles east of Warrenton on Route M and 3 miles south on Schuetzenground Road. (Take I-70 west to Route 47 south to M east, to Schuetzenground south.) Open from sunrise to sunset, maintenanced on Mondays.

I think the best club is the Arnold Rifle and Pistol Club - give them a call to see when they have open shoots or day passes to see if you want to join.

REA9mm
03-05-2010, 07:32
Thanks for the tips, I will probably give the Arnold club a call. Busch is just a lil too far of a drive for me. I heard there was a nice place to the south on the Illinois side, but I couldn't find any info online about it. Plus, I am a little leery of venturing into the Peoples Republic of Illinois with my firearms.

heehaw
04-02-2010, 20:58
Of course, Busch is available. They're at 2360 Highway D, St. Charles. Exit I64/US40 at Mo 94 once you cross the Boone bridge, go south, and then east on D. 10am-4pm, closed on Wed. and Thurs.

Probably shouldn't have told you about it - it's crazy busy since Henges is closed.

Further out, there are a couple of unmanned state ranges in the area that I've been meaning to try: One is Frank Reifsnider State Forest, 2 miles east of Warrenton on Route M and 3 miles south on Schuetzenground Road. (Take I-70 west to Route 47 south to M east, to Schuetzenground south.) Open from sunrise to sunset, maintenanced on Mondays.

I think the best club is the Arnold Rifle and Pistol Club - give them a call to see when they have open shoots or day passes to see if you want to join.

I lived in Warrenton most of my life and still shoot there at least once a month. The Frank Reifsnider State Forest range is generally pretty empty. As mister happy said, it is unmanned. When the place is empty I take that opportunity to do defensive shooting drills and that sort of thing. It has a few 25 yard benches, a few 50 yard benches and a few 100 yard benches. The range itself is not the best. None the least it's a place to shoot. Hope this helps!

mister happy
05-05-2010, 20:45
I lived in Warrenton most of my life and still shoot there at least once a month. The Frank Reifsnider State Forest range is generally pretty empty. As mister happy said, it is unmanned. When the place is empty I take that opportunity to do defensive shooting drills and that sort of thing. It has a few 25 yard benches, a few 50 yard benches and a few 100 yard benches. The range itself is not the best. None the least it's a place to shoot. Hope this helps!

Is it true you need to ford a stream in your car to get to Reifsnider, so a truck/suv is needed? I've been told this by a coworker.

MoCop
06-14-2010, 15:23
I'm pretty sure that's the Logan Conservation area located in Lincoln County. That's also a nice place to shoot. Pretty, open and grassy area with no range nazi's around to tell you to shoot once every three seconds.

blackbmw
08-22-2010, 21:35
Is it true you need to ford a stream in your car to get to Reifsnider, so a truck/suv is needed? I've been told this by a coworker.
Nah, just give it some throttle and you should be ok.:whistling: