advice on a good/cheap GPS unit [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : advice on a good/cheap GPS unit

Mad Man 666
03-03-2010, 00:27
I am planning on getting back into some Hiking/Camping this spring and am looking for a good GPS unit.

I found a Garmin e-Trex Venture HC for about $100 and was wondering if anyone had any experience with this unit or any others of its type.

here is pic of it and its specs. I have no experience with GPS units so im not sure what I should be looking for.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/store/assets/images/products/010-00632-00/en/cf-lg.jpg

Physical & Performance:

Unit dimensions, WxHxD: 2.2" x 4.2" x 1.2" (5.6 x 10.7 x 3.0 cm)
Display size, WxH: 1.3" x 1.7" (3.3 x 4.3 cm)
Display resolution, WxH: 176 x 220 pixels
Display type: 256 level color TFT
Weight: 5.5 oz (156 g) with batteries
Battery: 2 AA batteries (not included)
Battery life: 14 hours
Waterproof: yes (IPX7)
Floats: no
High-sensitivity receiver: yes
Interface: USB
RoHS version available: yes

Maps & Memory:

Basemap: yes
Preloaded street maps: no
Ability to add maps: yes
Built-in memory: 24 MB
Accepts data cards: no
Waypoints/favorites/locations: 500
Routes: 50
Track log: 10,000 points, 10 saved tracks

Features:

Automatic routing (turn by turn routing on roads): no
Electronic compass: no
Touchscreen: no
Barometric altimeter: no
Camera: no
Geocaching-friendly: yes
Custom maps compatible: no
Photo navigation (navigate to geotagged photos): no
Outdoor GPS games: yes
Hunt/fish calendar: yes
Sun and moon information: yes
Tide tables: no
Area calculation: yes
Custom POIs (ability to add additional points of interest): no
Unit-to-unit transfer (shares data wirelessly with similar units): no
Picture viewer: no
Garmin Connect™ compatible (online community where you analyze, categorize and share data): no

creaky
03-03-2010, 09:33
I use the Garmin 60csx. I had been using Magellan, but found the Garmin to be a superior product as far as durability.

I've never used the model you have posted, but wouldn't hesitate to recommend Garmin products.

Hummer
03-05-2010, 16:20
You probably won't find a better one for the money. The little e-Trex has been around a long time and it's pretty much bullet proof. It fits easily in a shirt pocket and you can use all the buttons with the unit in one hand while carrying something else in your other hand.

I used one in the field daily for 3 years hiking cross-country from desert to tundra doing vegetation and wildlife transects. Mine wasn't as sophisticated as the Venture HC, no color, no loaded topo map and probably not as much memory.

BTW, I got to like the yellow color, much easier to see if it drops on the ground. You don't want to lose your GPS when you're deep in unfamiliar territory. Don't forget to carry plenty of extra batteries, all GPS's eat batteries for breakfast every day. :supergrin:

I got a Garmin Colorado last summer, some nice features and I do like being able to load an SD card into the unit. I'm no GPS expert, there are still things I need to learn about using it. If the Venture HC has the same loaded U.S. topo maps that the Colorado and Oregon have that would be a great deal in a $100 GPS.

Mad Man 666
03-07-2010, 12:00
Thanks for the input guys. I have been keeping an eye out for it at my local sporting goods stores, in hopes of being able to hold it to see how it fits in my hand. But everyone just has the black/white version (for $100:shocked:) that version does fit in my hand well. Once I get the cash together in the next week or so I think that will be the one I'll get.

@Hummer the color is one thing that caught my eye with it, for that exact reason.