Yet Another CAR Thread (Made in Japan, Germany, USA, Korea) [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Yet Another CAR Thread (Made in Japan, Germany, USA, Korea)

VICARA
03-03-2010, 15:23
As many are aware of the ongoing woes of Toyota, I’m wondering what’s going on with other car makers mainly the big 3’s? And what’s in for us consumers thinking of a new car purchase. I heard Ford is making a kill out Toyota’s miseries, GM is improving but Chrysler is not moving. Is it?

Ok, just a recap: It’s the mass global recall of their cars (as in 9 million?) due to problems with accelerator pedals sticking and floor mats that can become entangled with the gas pedal. Marami na patay. As of last month, they are now behind several competitors i.e. Honda, Nissan, Hyundai, GMC, Chevrolet, Subaru, etc what with almost 10% drop in sales.

On the other hand, if one retains an unfazed confidence to the brand, and contemplating a new purchase, this might be a good timing to do so. I for one believe that Toyota will come out from this mess with better quality and value in their cars. They just have to endure the onslaught of lawsuits from angry, sue-happy consumers. Tiba-tiba mga lawyers ngayon…happy days are here again, ‘ika nga.

Soo…..you still consider Toyota for a next car? Did you know that today Nissan also announced their own recall of 540K vehicles? Yesterday, GM did the same for over 1.3 million cars.

Germans/Koreans must be silently smiling and now set in motion a plan to seize this opportunity and try to expand their market shares. Hala bira!:supergrin:

bulm540
03-03-2010, 17:41
GM? - Government Motors

Kaiser Soze
03-03-2010, 18:20
I was just watching that hottie Robin Meade this morning, and I saw something about Nissan also doing a recall of their cars?

choi_tan2000
03-03-2010, 19:50
ill still consider toyota's

but if i got rich, or won in a lotto ill buy a benz

isuzu
03-03-2010, 20:40
Yes, I'll still buy a Toyota, but for pick up trucks, I'll buy the cheapest Isuzu DMax with a 2.5 liter engine. I saw on the news that Nissan is recalling the Armada, Q56 and several other vehicles for a loose pin on the brake pedal. Honda also has had a massive recall of their vehicles due to faulty air bags.

BTW, the Sienna is being recalled for leaking oil lines.

I think every car manufacturer has its share of recalls.

Wp.22
03-03-2010, 23:40
the only time i remember toyota phils made a recall when they replaced the brake master of either echo or the verzo.

Commercial motor philippines made a silent recall years ago when they added a scope for the air cleaner of MB100. We had unit serviced then pagbalik meron na.

VICARA
03-04-2010, 00:46
Pinay lost her husband and kids last year when their Lexus suddenly zoomed to over 100 MPH in the freeway.

her testimony (http://article.wn.com/view/2010/01/28/Toyotas_US_sales_halt_is_a_major_blow/) at the US Congress was heartbreaking you almost want to wail. or try this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cztvDpFNCFE&feature=youtube_gdata)

Sana Lexus SUV wala problema...teka, is Honda doing recalls too?

ppts799
03-04-2010, 01:42
toyota had a problem with the inova around 3 years ago. i forgot what part they were suppose to change but they sent us letters to bring the inova in for free part replacement.

lakay
03-04-2010, 03:09
from uncle john's bathroom reader:

DODGE:Drips Oil & Drops Grease Everywhere

HONDA: Had One, Never Did Again

SAAB : Still Aint' A Beemer

AUDI: Another Ugly Deutsche Invention

VOLVO: Very Odd-Looking Vehicular Object

FORD: Frequent Overhaul, Rapid Deterioration
FIAT: Feeble Italian Attempt at Transportation
BMW: Bring More Wrenches

ACURA: Another Crummy, Useless, Rotten Automobile

OLDSMOBILE: Old Ladies Driving Slowly Making Others Behind Insanely Late Everyday

GM: General Maintenance
PORSCHE: Proof Of Rich, Spoiled Children Having Everything
CHEVROLET: Can Hear Every Valve Rap On Long Extended Trips

AMC: Another Major Catastrophe

MGB: Might Go Backwards

and finally ........

TOYOTA: The One You Ought To Avoid....:supergrin:

zorkd
03-04-2010, 06:41
i just bought a toyota, but this one is pre owned so it came out before all the recalls.

mtho
03-04-2010, 07:17
I have a problem with my super grandia, the power steering fluid has been leaking out. i brought it to toyota quezon ave last feb 8 and got it back last feb 25. driving from quezon ave to san francisco,delmonte naubos nanaman yung power steering fluid. lumala pa ata. any advise on what to do?

jasonub
03-04-2010, 07:38
firstly ill buy toyota anytime.

As for the big three its toyota as the biggest since last year or 2 iirc. thus di na big 3 ang gm ford and chysler. its toyota, gm , ford

VICARA
03-04-2010, 11:48
more headaches for Toyota!
and this is just the start (http://www.manilatimes.net/index.php/top-stories/12735-filipino-american-family-sues-toyota).

The Big Three, as they are affectionately named, mostly refers to 3 major American automotive companies . In the global scene, Big 3's might not even include Ford, GM or Chrysler. But I bet Japanese are on the top of the heap shared by Germans, Koreans and Italians.

And yes, I still trust Toyota/Lexus name, so much so, we upgraded to a hybrid 450h.

BicycleDay43
03-04-2010, 12:01
Honestly I think the media is making a HUGE deal about all this. Lets think. Before the bailout, the media would go all out on the Big 3 because they were actually HONEST. NOW, the goverment has bought Chrysler and GM. Now, the goverment ALSO pretty much owns the media. Who is a large competetor of the Big 3? Toyota. Who does the government now own? Chrysler and GM. My thinking is the media is making a way bigger deal then needs to be made about this to earn brownie points from BHO.

And yes, for the record, I would COMPLETELY consider buying a Toyota for my first car. Most likely a Tacoma. Honestly, if you're so ignorant and blind as to how a car works, cant put 2+2 together, and don't realize that putting the vehicle in neutral will rev the engine and allow you to stop, you need to read something along the lines of, "The First Graders guide to how cars work" before you EVER drive again.

bisoy
03-04-2010, 16:27
toyota had a problem with the inova around 3 years ago. i forgot what part they were suppose to change but they sent us letters to bring the inova in for free part replacement.

axle ata ang pinalitan.

bisoy
03-04-2010, 16:28
I have a problem with my super grandia, the power steering fluid has been leaking out. i brought it to toyota quezon ave last feb 8 and got it back last feb 25. driving from quezon ave to san francisco,delmonte naubos nanaman yung power steering fluid. lumala pa ata. any advise on what to do?

ano daw ang problema? nasaan ang leak? leaks can be as simple as changing the clamps or crimping or changing hoses or oil seals to as bad as may bara sa loob kaya nag high pressure and it's looking for the weakest part para ilabas nya ang pressure.

bisoy
03-04-2010, 16:30
from uncle john's bathroom reader:

DODGE:Drips Oil & Drops Grease Everywhere

HONDA: Had One, Never Did Again

SAAB : Still Aint' A Beemer

AUDI: Another Ugly Deutsche Invention

VOLVO: Very Odd-Looking Vehicular Object

FORD: Frequent Overhaul, Rapid Deterioration
FIAT: Feeble Italian Attempt at Transportation
BMW: Bring More Wrenches

ACURA: Another Crummy, Useless, Rotten Automobile

OLDSMOBILE: Old Ladies Driving Slowly Making Others Behind Insanely Late Everyday

GM: General Maintenance
PORSCHE: Proof Of Rich, Spoiled Children Having Everything
CHEVROLET: Can Hear Every Valve Rap On Long Extended Trips

AMC: Another Major Catastrophe

MGB: Might Go Backwards

and finally ........

TOYOTA: The One You Ought To Avoid....:supergrin:

hahahaha nice!

bisoy
03-04-2010, 16:30
i just bought a toyota, but this one is pre owned so it came out before all the recalls.

what model did you buy?

batangueno
03-04-2010, 17:11
For peace of mind, i'm not going to buy a toyota anymore. Marami naman ibang pagpipilian so why risk it.

Wp.22
03-04-2010, 18:19
ano daw ang problema? nasaan ang leak? leaks can be as simple as changing the clamps or crimping or changing hoses or oil seals to as bad as may bara sa loob kaya nag high pressure and it's looking for the weakest part para ilabas nya ang pressure.

agree with bisoy here baka hose or clamp madalas yan ang source ng leak unless binanga mo yung sasakyan nyo na para madamage yung internals.

Before yan din ang sakit ng mga MB100 dito panay ang palit namin ng power steering line lagi may leak yung hose so ang ginawa namin dinala namin yung power steering line sa mga nagbebenta ng hydraulic hose para sa mga heavy equipment doon kami bumili ng hose at nagpa crimp.

Wp.22
03-04-2010, 18:20
im going to back to nissan i like their GTR i might buy two his and hers hehehee

Wp.22
03-04-2010, 18:21

hirap din minsan ng pre-owned baka na Ondoy

isuzu
03-04-2010, 19:58

There could be other problems such as a stuck valve which results in pressure spikes on the system.

mtho
03-04-2010, 19:58

they called me up today and want to change the axle body and charge me 40+ thousand. after all this time

isuzu
03-04-2010, 20:03

Was that something to do with the injection pump that stopped working just after the warranty period?

I remember a friend got a letter from Toyota with a recall in the fuel system of the new Toyota Crown that came out in the 90's.

isuzu
03-04-2010, 20:35
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGJPE0KkB5o

Wp.22
03-04-2010, 20:40
Was that something to do with the injection pump that stopped working just after the warranty period?

I remember a friend got a letter from Toyota with a recall in the fuel system of the new Toyota Crown that came out in the 90's.

i think this the one. according to some sudden loss of engine power

VICARA
03-05-2010, 02:00
ok, i can understand having second thoughts on toyota but other car makers (foreign or dometic) are also having their share of recalls. kahit noon pa yan.
So if not Toyota/Lexus, whats next on your list?

What you guys think about this (http://www.acura.com/ModelLanding.aspx?model=ZDX)?... yup, its a crossover, a first from Acura. Pangit ba talaga dating nito, as some group claims?

Or maybe this (http://automobiles.honda.com/accord-crosstour/?ef_id=1097:10:08e24319b63631aa4e7d0121874fdcaa_e_411647519_3286492624:S5DIdko-KSYAAHwvF7AAAAAA:20100305090142).

And if somebody can tell me why most car/SUVs/trucks nowadays are having no more traditional orange signal lights? Lahat red, hindi masyado pansin sa araw.:dunno:

Allegra
03-05-2010, 02:52
jeepney nga nasakay ako, why would i be worried by a toyota?

mtho
03-05-2010, 05:23

after all this time and letting me to buy a repair kit, now they want me to buy a complete rack and pinion assembly.

bisoy
03-05-2010, 17:44
they called me up today and want to change the axle body and charge me 40+ thousand. after all this time

after all this time and letting me to buy a repair kit, now they want me to buy a complete rack and pinion assembly.

i am not generalizing all casa mechanics but most of them are not really good mechanics. casas are not repair shops. they are replacement shops. something breaks down, they replace it. replace lang sila ng replace hanggang sa mawala ang problema. ang nakakainis dyan ay kung hindi sila marunong mag troubleshoot. hindi naman nila pera yan so the hell that they care.

a good mechanic is one that can troubleshoot effectively. replacing things is no big deal basta may tools ka lang.

it's hard to comment on something na hindi ko nakikita. bottom line there is trust. would you trust them again? what happens if hindi nila ma solve ang problem? gastos ka nanaman ulit? unless they say that they guarantee their work and u get reimbursed on what u paid for kung hindi na solve ang problem, i won't go back to that shop.

ano ba yung unang pinalitan nila? repair kit for what?

the rack and pinion assembly has several parts. leaks can be as simple as changing the hoses, oil seal, set of washers to as bad as changing the whole assembly.

my kia carnival was leaking power steering fluid and casa wanted me to change the whole assembly. brought it to a friend's shop. bronze washer lang ang pinalitan. it leaked coz hindi na ma press ng maayos. damage was a few hundred bucks for the bronze washer, a couple hundred bucks for the labor and sa sobrang tuwa ko, gave a few hundred bucks to the mechanic. di inabot ng buong araw at less than 1k alng ang nagastos ko with tip.

you might want to get a second opinion from another shop.

batangueno
03-05-2010, 19:58
ok, i can understand having second thoughts on toyota but other car makers (foreign or dometic) are also having their share of recalls. kahit noon pa yan.
So if not Toyota/Lexus, whats next on your list?

What you guys think about this (http://www.acura.com/ModelLanding.aspx?model=ZDX)?... yup, its a crossover, a first from Acura. Pangit ba talaga dating nito, as some group claims?

Or maybe this (http://automobiles.honda.com/accord-crosstour/?ef_id=1097:10:08e24319b63631aa4e7d0121874fdcaa_e_411647519_3286492624:S5DIdko-KSYAAHwvF7AAAAAA:20100305090142).

And if somebody can tell me why most car/SUVs/trucks nowadays are having no more traditional orange signal lights? Lahat red, hindi masyado pansin sa araw.:dunno:

Vic, for me mas maganda yung Accord kaysa Acura. Pangit yung front ng Acura but at 300hp sarap siguro ihataw yan.

isuzu
03-05-2010, 19:58
i think this the one. according to some sudden loss of engine power

A friend told me when I was there that the injection system suffers a pressure drop, hence, the sudden power loss. It's a good thing our two Hi-Lux pick ups with the 3.0 liter engine does not have the same problem. And the PNP bought a lot of 2.5 liter Hi-Lux pick ups.

That is why I would still stick to the old Isuzu engine that the lowest DMax model has.

isuzu
03-05-2010, 20:04
i am not generalizing all casa mechanics but most of them are not really good mechanics. casas are not repair shops. they are replacement shops. something breaks down, they replace it. replace lang sila ng replace hanggang sa mawala ang problema. ang nakakainis dyan ay kung hindi sila marunong mag troubleshoot. hindi naman nila pera yan so the hell that they care.

a good mechanic is one that can troubleshoot effectively. replacing things is no big deal basta may tools ka lang.

it's hard to comment on something na hindi ko nakikita. bottom line there is trust. would you trust them again? what happens if hindi nila ma solve ang problem? gastos ka nanaman ulit? unless they say that they guarantee their work and u get reimbursed on what u paid for kung hindi na solve ang problem, i won't go back to that shop.

the rack and pinion assembly has several parts. leaks can be as simple as changing the hoses, oil seal, set of washers to as bad as changing the whole assembly.

my kia carnival was leaking power steering fluid and casa wanted me to change the whole assembly. brought it to a friend's shop. bronze washer lang ang pinalitan. it leaked coz hindi na ma press ng maayos. damage was a few hundred bucks for the bronze washer, a couple hundred bucks for the labor and sa sobrang tuwa ko, gave a few hundred bucks to the mechanic. di inabot ng buong araw at less than 1k alng ang nagastos ko with tip.

The problem with new vehicles now is that they are installed with component parts. If something gets broken, the whole component group gets replaced. It's good to bring your vehicle to a shop that knows how to do cheap but durable repairs.

Just like the Nissan Frontier. The ball joints came with the suspension arm when we replaced the ball joints on my Dad's Frontier. The ball joints were riveted to the suspension arms. A year later, ball joints came out, and all you have to do is to drill out the rivets and use nuts and bolts to secure the ball joints to the suspension arm.

Wp.22
03-05-2010, 20:18
A friend told me when I was there that the injection system suffers a pressure drop, hence, the sudden power loss. It's a good thing our two Hi-Lux pick ups with the 3.0 liter engine does not have the same problem. And the PNP bought a lot of 2.5 liter Hi-Lux pick ups.

That is why I would still stick to the old Isuzu engine that the lowest DMax model has.

Agree with the dmax best engine ever

Wp.22
03-05-2010, 20:24
CAsa horor story a friend of mine dinala yung corolla sa toyota for routine maintenance nabasag ng mechanic yung windshield for unknown reason pilit ba naman na kunin na lang daw thru insurance yung nabasag na windshield hindi pumayag yung friend ko sabi palitan nyo yan. Pinalitan ng casa bayad yung mechanic.

VICARA
03-06-2010, 01:56
hey paul, musta na?
I agree. the front of ZDX is like a huge bottle opener from the side view. My MDX is due for a new break pad and oil change tomorrow so I might get a chance to test drive the ZDX. If they gonna slap a new front grille and a 'not-red' signal light on the 2011 model, I'm willing to revisit comes upgrade time. 300 horses will definitely offer a nimble and fun ride.

then me and vega will show up in your front porch.:cool:
handa mo na BBQ grill mo!

mtho
03-06-2010, 07:31

meron ba kayo marecomend na marunong sa power steering? ang reklamo ko eh tulo lang, imbes na humina yung tulo lumakas pa

bisoy
03-08-2010, 23:09
i am based in cdo so the shops and mechanics i was referring to are all based here.

i have a friend who has a shop in manila. pls call 0922-8144423 and look for daniel. he may be able to help. ask for a second opinion.

batangueno
03-09-2010, 00:51
hey paul, musta na?
I agree. the front of ZDX is like a huge can opener from the side view. My MDX is due for a new break pad and oil change tomorrow so I might get a chance to test drive the ZDX. If they gonna slap a new front grille and a 'not-red' signal light on the 2011 model, I'm willing to revisit comes upgrade time. 300 horses will definitely offer a nimble and fun ride.

then me and vega will show up in your front porch.:cool:
handa mo na BBQ grill mo!

Baka habang nagpapa oil change ka ma trade-in mo bigla yang MDX mo for a ZDX. hehe.

Inihaw na liempo masarap sa grill. :supergrin:

VICARA
03-09-2010, 01:51
actually, that's the plan! I've been drooling for this zdx ever since i watched the video and read the specs. well, it was a 2-hr work on my old mdx so i figured, i can do a quicky test drive.

the 300 horse really makes a difference compared to my 265, drives like a coupe in a crossover body. luxurious interior with all the hi-tech goodies albeit, cramped backseat and lesser cargo space. although i love the new body style and the under-the-hood specs, I have to pass. something just don't jive with me and its way too pricey, imho.

poor salesman, he thought its already in the bag, he even took the risk of letting me drive on the freeway even with a warning light its already low on gas...maybe the 2011 if they modify some body parts.

i think our 1-week old 450h is still a better deal.:cool:
-----
paul, dala ako Hennessy pag natuloy kami.

mtho
03-09-2010, 08:03
i am based in cdo so the shops and mechanics i was referring to are all based here.

i have a friend who has a shop in manila. pls call 0922-8144423 and look for daniel. he may be able to help. ask for a second opinion.

after writing toyota motor philippines, talking and arguing with the secretary of the owner of toyota quezon ave. today finally the head of the service department of toyota quezon ave admitted to me that tha service adviser responsible lost my parts. hence no changing of the repairkit took place.

batangueno
03-09-2010, 16:33
Hennessy, sarap nyan :thumbsup:

Meron na naman runaway Toyota sa California ah. Prius naman ngayon. http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100309/ap_on_bi_ge/us_runaway_prius

VICARA
03-09-2010, 18:07
yup, that's a bad timing indeed!
what the f^%$@ toyota is doing (or not doing). my composure is starting to crumple with all these news! I got only 31 miles on the RX at iniisip ko na isosoli ko na 'to kung puwede pa! Last driven was Sun, last week when we went to church.

ano ba naman 'to?:steamed:

VICARA
03-09-2010, 18:25
many years ago, my wife got into a bad accident with her Accord. the repair shop replaced a whole bunch of parts and claimed all are brand new. Then a buddy pastor/mechanic found out later the water pump, hindi na nga orig, luma pa. I bet other parts are oldies as well...and u cannot argue with them vietnamese mechanics, hirap intindihin english nila!

nowadays, trusty car mechanics are hard find.