Where do Dan Wesson's 1911 rank? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Where do Dan Wesson's 1911 rank?

Blaster
03-03-2010, 19:44
What do you think about Dan Wesson 1911s.

Quality, craftsmanship, performance, durability and value do they have any or all of it?

bac1023
03-03-2010, 19:46
They rank among the best production 1911s.

GVFlyer
03-03-2010, 20:59
They rank among the best production 1911s.

What Brian said, "among the best production 1911s".

mholl26
03-03-2010, 21:29
I have heard nothing but good things about them.

pack-indy
03-03-2010, 21:57
Love mine.

AK_Stick
03-03-2010, 22:06
Love both of mine.

There is no comparable pistol for the price.

sns3guppy
03-04-2010, 00:47
Very happy with mine.

mr00jimbo
03-04-2010, 00:49
I am thinking of the RZ45.
How would they compare to say, a Colt 1991A1 as far as quality, reliability, accuracy, easy to field strip, etc.?
Sorry to get off topic!

bac1023
03-04-2010, 05:08
How would they compare to say, a Colt 1991A1 as far as quality, reliability, accuracy, easy to field strip, etc.?
Sorry to get off topic!

Better quality than a 1991A1, in my opinion. They should be more accurate too.

As far as field stripping is concerned, the Colt is not as tight, so it will generally that less effort.

ambluemax
03-04-2010, 08:10
I will say DW is THE best PRODUCTION (not semi-custom) 1911 made. They used to be high value, but this model year they have gone to some higher grade parts and increased craftsmanship = higher price >> priced themselves out of their niche IMO. For what you have to pay for a NIB DW now I'm personally more interested in Les Baers, Wilson's, Ed Browns and Nighthawks semi-customs. I did snag a DW CBOB before the price increase though and am very happy with it. Its hard to find people to say bad things about them, they are out there, but they are few.

A Colt 1991 isn't even a fair comparison. The 1991's I've seen are in no way competitive with DW quality, craftsmanship, and value. A 1991 would need to be about $500 NIB for me to even consider buying one based upon the speicimens I've seen. $500 pistol with a $200 name stamp IMO. DW is straight up quality.

Good luck finding a DW though, they are a low volume manufacture (something like 800 pistols total per year) and are in high demand. If you do find one they are money well spent.

Blaster
03-04-2010, 08:14
Thanks guys. I have heard good things too about Dan Wesson.

So.... I just ordered a 2010 Valor. Hopefully I will have it next week.

bac1023
03-04-2010, 08:28

Congrats

I have one of the first Valors built and its outstanding.

MastiffMan
03-04-2010, 08:50
The Dan Wessons I have seen at the range (Gun Store) have all had great slide to frame fits.
I took a chance a few Months ago and got a Valor ... Liked it so much I have a SS Valor coming next week....

Deployment Solu
03-04-2010, 09:34
I picked up a stainless CBOB from a fellow GTer for $775.00 I wish I could get a few more for that price!!!:whistling:

GVFlyer
03-04-2010, 09:41
Here's mine.

http://i444.photobucket.com/albums/qq166/GVFlyer/011-5-1.jpg?t=1267720492

It is comparable in quality to this Colt...

http://i444.photobucket.com/albums/qq166/GVFlyer/005-5-1.jpg?t=1267720721

But not as good as this Les Baer...

http://i444.photobucket.com/albums/qq166/GVFlyer/003-6.jpg?t=1267720793

But, now costs more than either.

Whiskey Six
03-04-2010, 09:59
Good luck finding a DW though, they are a low volume manufacture (something like 800 pistols total per year) and are in high demand. If you do find one they are money well spent.

Dan Wesson 2010 production will be 3500.
Here's mine.:supergrin:
http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/2825/img3788o.jpg

ambluemax
03-04-2010, 10:09

Excellent choice sir. If I didn't have a TRP already I'd definatly hunt down a Valor myself

I stand corrected Wiskey Six...still though, very limited production compared to the other makers and the demand for them is huge. I think the first run of valors in 2008(?) was only 200 units just for prospective.

Rinspeed
03-04-2010, 10:15
Nice pics guys.

Tactical black
03-04-2010, 14:17
Dan Wesson 2010 production will be 3500.
Here's mine.:supergrin:
http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/2825/img3788o.jpg

This pic makes me want one bad. I don't know why they get so expensive.

Blaster
03-04-2010, 14:39
Excellent choice sir. If I didn't have a TRP already I'd definatly hunt down a Valor myself

The TRP was what I was thinking about getting. Then I ran across Dan Wesson and the Valor.

I found a few things on the TRP to be not to my liking. The full length guide rod, mag well and ambi safety were items I was planing on replacing if I went with a TRP.

A little birdie whispered in my ear about the DW Valor and I started looking into it as a possibility. The Valor had almost everything I was looking for and with the 2010 addition of Heinie Ledge sights and other improvements I was sold.

There is one or perhaps two things I may change on my Valor when I get it. I have an affection for arched mainspring housings. Another component I have been thinking of dabbling with is the trigger. Hilton Yam's 10-8 trigger with the fixed over travel stop is very appealing to me.

bac1023
03-04-2010, 15:18
Here's my tried and true Valor vs. TRP thread...

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=885646

Blaster
03-04-2010, 15:47
Here's my tried and true Valor vs. TRP thread...

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=885646

Bac,

Thanks for posting that. Nice review/comparison.

It served to further confirm that I made the correct choice. Correct for my preferences. Obviously everyone who fancies a 1911 has their particular ideal pistol in mind. For me the Valor comes darn close.

I do not care for slide and frame markings. The Valor scores big with me there.

I have no use for front cocking serrations and I don't like the way they look. Another Valor win.

I prefer the reliability and ruggedness of a single side safety. Yup, Valor again.

I mentioned reliability didn't I. Well debatable as it is, the as John Browning intended it recoil assembly in the Valor is spoken of as more reliable than the FLGR and is a little less complicated to take down.

The mag well as I mentioned previously is not on my wish list. I don't want the extra length on my grip. I plan on carrying this pistol and it is just not my cup of tea. So again for me the Valor fits the bill.

I opted to go with the Stainless Valor for a couple of reasons. Price being one. Also figuring that I wanted to switch to an arched mainspring housing, I thought that it would be easier to match the finish. Then there is the uncertainty of exactly what this new Black finish is. Perhaps in the future when I have the Valor exactly the way I want it, I may have it finished. Using something like DLC Ionbond if I decide I want a black gun. Plus if I do finish the gun perhaps the minimal slide marking "Valor" goes away.

Well now it is just a matter of waiting for the gun to show up at my FFL.

bac1023
03-04-2010, 15:54
Bac,

Thanks for posting that. Nice review/comparison.

It served to further confirm that I made the correct choice. Correct for my preferences. Obviously everyone who fancies a 1911 has their particular ideal pistol in mind. For me the Valor comes darn close.

I do not care for slide and frame markings. The Valor scores big with me there.

I have no use for front cocking serrations and I don't like the way they look. Another Valor win.

I prefer the reliability and ruggedness of a single side safety. Yup, Valor again.

I mentioned reliability didn't I. Well debatable as it is, the as John Browning intended it recoil assembly in the Valor is spoken of as more reliable than the FLGR and is a little less complicated to take down.

The mag well as I mentioned previously is not on my wish list. I don't want the extra length on my grip. I plan on carrying this pistol and it is just not my cup of tea. So again for me the Valor fits the bill.

I opted to go with the Stainless Valor for a couple of reasons. Price being one. Also figuring that I wanted to switch to an arched mainspring housing, I thought that it would be easier to match the finish. Then there is the uncertainty of exactly what this new Black finish is. Perhaps in the future when I have the Valor exactly the way I want it, I may have it finished. Using something like DLC Ionbond if I decide I want a black gun. Plus if I do finish the gun perhaps the minimal slide marking "Valor" goes away.

Well now it is just a matter of waiting for the gun to show up at my FFL.

Glad you liked the report.

All Valors are stainless, by the way.

ambluemax
03-04-2010, 16:08
Right on, the magwell and ambi were a plus for me because I'm left handed and I bought it for action pistol competition. I have carried it too without problem, but I don't like to because I want to keep it nice for competition. I have other 1911's for carry, namely my DW CBOB. Oh, and my TRP already had a GI plug installed when I bought it.

They are very comperable pistols though and if you like the trimmings of the valor better, that's the makins of a sound purchasing decision. Enjoy! Hope I get to shoot a valor someday...:embarassed:

JMiller
03-04-2010, 17:22
Love mine it is a little older and I got it used. I couldn't pass on the price.
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd80/millhouse75/DW2.jpg
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd80/millhouse75/DW1.jpg

bac1023
03-04-2010, 17:24
I like the pre-CZ Dan Wesson 1911s as well.

maxniman
03-04-2010, 18:21
my SS Valor Bobtail (VBOB) arrived at my FFL today, pick it up tomorrow:supergrin:

sns3guppy
03-04-2010, 18:43

I own a RZ-45. I can't compare it to the Colt (as I don't own a Colt), but the Dan Wesson is an excellent firearm.

Several have commented on the DW products being top production firearms, and some call them "semi-custom." I wouldn't call them semi-custom, and the products themselves are decidedly production items, but they're put together with care, using quality parts, and in my experience they fit and work very, very well.

The cosmetics haven't been perfect on the models I've purchased (but aren't significant enough that I'd lose any sleep). My CCO came with some blemishes on the grip, though it wasn't sold, nor marked as one of the "blem" pistols. My RZ-45's grip safety could have been fit to the .250 radius a lot better. It's a minor thing, and probably something that many wouldn't think twice about, but a custom, or even "semi-custom" weapon would have been properly blended. On mine the grip safety has the appearance of having been slapped on after the radius was cut. It's not unattractive, by any means; Dan Wesson pistols are nicely finished and asthetically pleasing. It's just something that annoys me, a bit.

Having said that, I'm very pleased with the DW products. They're tight, accurate, and most importantly of all, reliable. I'll be buying more. I really want a current Valor and a VBOB. They're on the to-do list.

awpk03s
03-04-2010, 20:58
I love my Dan Wesson 1911 pistols. I have 3, a Valor, a Commander Classic Bobtail (CBOB) and CCO. They are the heart and soul of my pistol collection.

N.D.Glock23
03-04-2010, 21:01
I own a RZ-45. I can't compare it to the Colt (as I don't own a Colt), but the Dan Wesson is an excellent firearm.

Several have commented on the DW products being top production firearms, and some call them "semi-custom." I wouldn't call them semi-custom, and the products themselves are decidedly production items, but they're put together with care, using quality parts, and in my experience they fit and work very, very well.

The cosmetics haven't been perfect on the models I've purchased (but aren't significant enough that I'd lose any sleep). My CCO came with some blemishes on the grip, though it wasn't sold, nor marked as one of the "blem" pistols. My RZ-45's grip safety could have been fit to the .250 radius a lot better. It's a minor thing, and probably something that many wouldn't think twice about, but a custom, or even "semi-custom" weapon would have been properly blended. On mine the grip safety has the appearance of having been slapped on after the radius was cut. It's not unattractive, by any means; Dan Wesson pistols are nicely finished and asthetically pleasing. It's just something that annoys me, a bit.

Having said that, I'm very pleased with the DW products. They're tight, accurate, and most importantly of all, reliable. I'll be buying more. I really want a current Valor and a VBOB. They're on the to-do list.

I have had major QC problems W a DW in the past, but
I do currently own a DW Custom 5" and it's a beautiful 1911, just "always personally inspect any 1911 inside and out" before you lay down your $$$$, and as far as a DW goes, I have had a little birdie whisper a few things in my ear too; RE: DW production methods, so just look very closely and always check the fit, "look for excessive looseness or play" of both the trigger (up and down movement) and the GS (side to side movement) other than watching out for those issue's as long as it passes your close inspection you should be VERY happy indeed! :supergrin:

N.D.

Whiskey Six
03-05-2010, 02:08
I stand corrected Wiskey Six...still though, very limited production compared to the other makers and the demand for them is huge. I think the first run of valors in 2008(?) was only 200 units just for prospective.

3500 is the total production of all models for 2010. In 2009 only 200 Valors were built.
DW 2010 production numbers. The Valor will not be as exclusive.
http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=250850&highlight=Wesson+production+numbers&page=8
500 Valor Black
500 Valor Stainless
400 Vbob Black
500 Vbob Stainless
400 Guardian
400 CCO
500 Heritage
200 Cbob California only
100 PM7 California only