How to go from cowardly lion to Jack Bauer [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : How to go from cowardly lion to Jack Bauer

jjcool
03-03-2010, 19:45
Every night I've been walking through my back yard and going out to the fence to lock my dogs up in their kennel. One of them is prone to getting out and I don't want them to get run over in the road.

Recently I was walking through the pitch black back yard and was thinking about how stray animals used to hang out around my trash can and have jumped out and startled me in the past. As I was thinking this I heard someone running up behind me very quickly. I turned around, pulled one leg up toward myself to block who was running at me and screamed a slurred NO! Once I did all of this I realized it was my large 80lb dog that is prone to getting out and he was just excited to see me. I thought he was in the fence and wasn't expecting it at all. He had also come up on me so quickly that I didn't have a chance to prep myself at all and it really caught me off guard. My heart was pounding and it had scared me pretty bad.

Later I thought about how stupid I must have looked almost pulling up into a fetal position and not even being able to scream a word correctly. I thought about how if I had been Jack Bauer I would have turned and thrown the threat over my shoulder and then had my gun drawn before he hit the ground.

First off I don't carry yet, but should probably start carrying around home just to get used to it. Second, how do I make my body react in a proper self defense manner and not shutdown? Is it as simple as repetitious practice so that it becomes second nature and I can react properly without thinking about it? I'm aware that I should have prepared better and turned on my outside lights and been more aware of my environment. Any pointers on how to always be aware of my environment? Any thoughts on how to convert this cowardly lion into Jack Bauer would be greatly appreciated.

Deaf Smith
03-03-2010, 20:11
JJ,

It part comes from training and part from maturity.

May I suggest a martial art like Krav Maga? There you will learn agressivness as well as good self defense. They push you to react when you are tired, and that helps alot.

I really don't care if it's Krav Maga World Wide, Fight4Survival, Israeli Krav International, etc...

Stick with it for a year or two. Go as often as you can. Practice at home and with a buddy outside class.

That and the maturity to keep aware of your surroundings and not be distracted by things around you.

Deaf

Blaster
03-03-2010, 20:17
Col. Cooper described it well in his lecture on mindset and the color code.

White - Relaxed, unaware, and unprepared. If attacked in this state the only thing that may save you is the inadequacy and ineptitude of your attacker. When confronted by something nasty your reaction will probably be, "Oh my God! This can't be happening to me."

Yellow - Relaxed alertness. No specific threat situation. Your mindset is that "today could be the day I may have to defend myself." There is no specific threat but you are aware that the world is an unfriendly place and that you are prepared to do something if necessary. You use your eyes and ears, and your carriage says "I am alert." You don't have to be armed in this state but if you are armed you must be in yellow. When confronted by something nasty your reaction will probably be, "I thought this might happen some day." You can live in this state indefinitely.

Orange - Specific alert. Something not quite right has gotten your attention and you shift your primary focus to that thing. Something is "wrong" with a person or object. Something may happen. Your mindset is that "I may have to shoot that person." Your pistol is usually holstered in this state. You can maintain this state for several hours with ease, or a day or so with effort.

Red - Fight trigger. This is your mental trigger. "If that person does "x" I will shoot them." Your pistol may, but not necessarily, be in your hand.

j-glock22
03-03-2010, 20:31
This may sound a bit far-fetched and stupid, but you need to get scared and spooked (on purpose) to knock the "fear" or "startledness" outta your system. Get a network of friends of family to help you out with this. Now, don't start it today, because you're gonna expect things to happen, the idea is to deal with the element of suprize.
I used to be like you, really. Since I was a kid, I was easily spooked, especially at night or in any dark environment. Friends in school could easily sneak up behind me and jump out and yell, and I would get all jumpy and crazy.
Today, that fear is gone. Some people try to jump out at me, but I knew someone was there and their ploy is foiled every time. Situational awareness is a skill that is learned over time, thru expereinces (good and bad) and just training yourself. I've been through a wide variety of experiences, and I'm at the point, where I'm always aware what's going on. No, I'm not Jason Bourne; but I no longer get spooked at a sudden change of events, example: a car or semi suddenly swerves in front of me, I can easily take evasive measures and avoid a collision with that vehicle and others surrounding me. Someone once pointed a loaded pistol crossbow right at my face, and I disarmed him and popped him in the nose with said weapon before he could blink. I've run off many potential car break-in theives, and recently on two occasions run off home burglars.
I'm not a tactical expert or anything, but I'm grateful that I am able to make split-second reactions to a sudden change of events and deal with it without seizing or freezing up.
I hope this helps a bit. Maybe go and take a tactical shooting course at the same time? This may help inprove your gun skills in the unlikely event you have to defend you and yours at any point in the future and be ready to deal with the situation in a split-second notice ready-to-go.

swotivated
03-04-2010, 02:16
You're putting the cart before the horse. What kind of hand to hand/ non-lethal training do you have?

Purely based on your post, it sounds like you don't have much. Even if you suddenly developed cat like reflexes and were totally aware of the surroundings, you wouldn't know how to deal with a threat.

Few other random observations:

- Guns don't solve all your problems. You can't pull your gun b/c you get startled (though, I guess you could have here since it was your property). Maybe not a good habit to get into if you plan to CCW in public.

- Big dogs are great. What kind do you have?

- +1 about turning on the lights (or having a flashlight).

Suggestions:

1) Buy a flashlight. Bonus if you practice using it with your pistol.
2) Take a good solid self defense class. Consider getting into a martial art that will go beyond self defense and start building a warrior mentality (Krav, Mui Thai, etc).
3) Figure out how your dog is constantly escaping and remedy the problem.
4) Get to the point that the surge in adrenaline gives you a leg up in the fight vice shutting yourself down (see #2).

jjcool
03-04-2010, 06:38
This may sound a bit far-fetched and stupid, but you need to get scared and spooked (on purpose) to knock the "fear" or "startledness" outta your system.

Growing up my family was constantly trying to scare me. If I went out to do a chore at night my dad would sneak out behind me to hide behind something and jump out at me on my way back in. I was more alert because I knew it was coming. Either it didn't do any good, or I've just gotten older and out of practice.

jjcool
03-04-2010, 06:47
You're putting the cart before the horse. What kind of hand to hand/ non-lethal training do you have?
none whatsoever:embarassed:

- Big dogs are great. What kind do you have?
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_N9poUkAWvQY/S3blkER5MDI/AAAAAAAABqQ/hIIsRFZanPE/s1600/100_6342%5B2%5D.jpg
They're Chesapeake Bay Retrievers. The male on the left is the one that's getting out. It's just a problem with the type of fence I have. I know the remedy is to build a different fence. It's just a financial hurdle at this point.
Suggestions:

1) Buy a flashlight. Bonus if you practice using it with your pistol.
2) Take a good solid self defense class. Consider getting into a martial art that will go beyond self defense and start building a warrior mentality (Krav, Mui Thai, etc).
3) Figure out how your dog is constantly escaping and remedy the problem.
4) Get to the point that the surge in adrenaline gives you a leg up in the fight vice shutting yourself down (see #2).

1)I have a nice LED flashlight that I've started carrying with me now, and I generally turn the outside lights on as well.
2)sounds like this is the route to go, as others have mentioned. I didn't know if just some general changes in behavior would be enough or if formal training was necessary.
3)I'm working on that. As I mentioned before it's just a money thing.

thanks for all the pointers and advice everyone.

swotivated
03-04-2010, 11:13
Wow, great looking dogs. Good luck with everything.

David Armstrong
03-04-2010, 11:44
First off I don't carry yet, but should probably start carrying around home just to get used to it.
Not real sure about that. You might want to first get some stress training, then look into the carrying.
Second, how do I make my body react in a proper self defense manner and not shutdown?
Training, experience, visualization. Get training in what a proper reaction would be. Focus on a few techniques and get good at them. Go to friends, family, gyms, etc. and experience attacks under controlled conditions. Visualize the situation. Go through it in your mind, from initial attack through your reaction and successful conclusion.
What you want to avoid is your brain locking up because it doesn't know what to do. Training, experience, visualization give your brain a base to build from: "OK, we know about this and this is the way we are supposed to handle it" instead of a "Oh my gosh, what is happening and what should I do" reaction.

jaklcrow
03-04-2010, 11:57
like basically everyone else has said its all about training and conditioning your body to react without thinking. generally it will require real violent encounters to totally condition your body to respond properly and control the adrenaline and fear. like one poster said the first step though would be the hand to hand training base. if you dont know how do defend yourself the quickest reflexes and calmest nerves in the world wont do you a lot of good. find a good full-contact martial arts school to help start the process. once you get some basic skills drilled into your muscle memory you will take your mind out of the equation.

Tailhunter
03-04-2010, 11:58
Training, experience, visualization. Get training in what a proper reaction would be. Focus on a few techniques and get good at them. Go to friends, family, gyms, etc. and experience attacks under controlled conditions. Visualize the situation. Go through it in your mind, from initial attack through your reaction and successful conclusion.
What you want to avoid is your brain locking up because it doesn't know what to do. Training, experience, visualization give your brain a base to build from: "OK, we know about this and this is the way we are supposed to handle it" instead of a "Oh my gosh, what is happening and what should I do" reaction.

:wow: :goodpost:

K. Foster
03-04-2010, 14:09
Understanding and using the color codes that Blaster posted is a good start. You should live most of your waking life in condition Yellow. As others have said, get some hand to hand and firearms training. Practice builds skill. Skill builds confidence. Confidence allows us to keep our wits and function in stressful circumstances.
The rest of it is just learning from life’s experiences.
PS. Nice dogs.

BamaTrooper
03-04-2010, 16:01
The cure for cowardly lionism is behind the curtain at the end of the yellow brick road. :tongueout:

Seriously, yu might still get scared, you just need to train to have the correct reaction.

Walking through some jasmine in the yard one year, I stepped on a snake; it wrapped itself around my ankle. Fortunately, it wasn't poisonous and didn't bite.
When I saw what it was, I reached for my G22, but I was only walking to the truck and the gun was in the house.
The snake and I went our separate ways and the only thing injured was my pride when the front door opened and my wife asked me what woman was "screaming out here?"

Dreamaster
03-04-2010, 17:48
The cure for cowardly lionism is behind the curtain at the end of the yellow brick road. :tongueout:

Seriously, yu might still get scared, you just need to train to have the correct reaction.

Walking through some jasmine in the yard one year, I stepped on a snake; it wrapped itself around my ankle. Fortunately, it wasn't poisonous and didn't bite.
When I saw what it was, I reached for my G22, but I was only walking to the truck and the gun was in the house.
The snake and I went our separate ways and the only thing injured was my pride when the front door opened and my wife asked me what woman was "screaming out here?"

That story was EPIC bro!

I'll simply add to what everyone is saying, take some martial arts so you can practice hand to hand with other people. Your body reacted that way because honestly, since you've not had any training, how the heck is it supposed to know how to react? Just watching Kung Fu movies doesn't teach us Kung Fu... it's very hard to learn from 3rd person LET ALONE learn it so well it becomes instinct!

MacG22
03-06-2010, 14:39
I would recommend by reading a book called "Meditations on Violence". Link below. This book is perhaps the best at understanding violence, the ways you can and cannot prepare for it, the physiological affects, and how to give yourself a foundation for understanding personal defense.

http://www.amazon.com/Meditations-Violence-Comparison-Martial-Training/dp/1594391181/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1267911523&sr=8-1

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/416TOCfaRSL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg