Series 80 for custom work [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Series 80 for custom work

mholl26
03-03-2010, 22:03
I have decided that I am going to have a custom pistol done and have been looking for a series 70 to serve as a base gun. I have recently found a mid-80s production series 80 Gold Cup National Match at a good price so I am wondering how would that work? Is the series 80 something I should pass on given my goals or are the differences with a series 70 not that important?

samuse
03-04-2010, 12:39
I have a built series 80 and I love it. I sent it back to Colt for a bushing and barrel fit, dehorn, front strap serrations, 3.5# trigger job. I then had a 10-8 NM rear sight installed with a Novak gold bead front. I put an Ed Brown arched serrated MSH and a Harrison short, black hard use trigger in it. Just got it back from Novak's yesterday. Hittin' the range this afternoon!

zdragon23c
03-04-2010, 13:40
my suggestion..... go shoot a series80 and remove all doubt.
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f195/52dragon/P1040774.jpg

Jim S.
03-04-2010, 17:14
I have a series 80 that is basically stock and the trigger is not really bad at all.
It is a little more work to take apart and put back together, but other than that it doesn't bother me.
If this is going to be a carry gun for self defense I think the series 80 serves the purpose just fine. Firing pin block actually is a good thing, even though I didn't like them at first. I was a 1911 purist at that time.
I carry a Glock now so the firing pin block series 80 is ok with me.
If it is a competition or target gun I would go for the series 70.

RonS
03-05-2010, 13:39
Partly depends on the price of the GC. I would look at a new S70 repro or WWII repro if you are going for a retro/classic style gun because of the slide markings and slide top on the GC. If you are going for a more modern look or are looking at a more performance oriented gun where you don't much care about looks then the GC might suit you well.

I would not expect to save any money because it is a Gold Cup, they did not have much extra put into them other in terms of fitting etc other than a slight difference in the trigger mechanism, the slide and sight cuts and the adjutable sights. In fact, you may find the sight cuts a problem if you want modern tactical sights.

I would ask the smith you want to do the work what he would rather start with.