Decision between the Les Baer Monolith Heavy weight and Springfield TRP [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Decision between the Les Baer Monolith Heavy weight and Springfield TRP

TexasVine
03-03-2010, 23:24
I think I have narrowed it down to the Les Baer Monolith Heavyweight and the Springfield TRP (dark finish). My wife is getting the gun for my birthday present. My delima is which one. I currently do not own a 1911 (had a Raptor awhile back). I shoot often so I see my self using the 1911 atleast once a week. I do not carry. Haven't thought about future competition but my understanding is they will not allow the Heavyweight in most or all competitions. I have read that the Heavy weight is just pure heaven to shoot. I like the looks of both. Obviously I'll save money buying the TRP over the Les Baer but the dollar diffference is not much of a factor. Is the added cost worth the difference in guns? I Has anyone on the forum owned or shot both that can give me a fair comparison. What would you do? Any input would be appreciated. I guess I need to be swayed one way or another from some 1911 users, my 1911 experience is very limited. I'm wanting to pull the trigger on this on Frdiay.

Cobra64
03-04-2010, 01:51
I think I have narrowed it down to the Les Baer Monolith Heavyweight and the Springfield TRP (dark finish). My wife is getting the gun for my birthday present. My delima is which one. I currently do not own a 1911 (had a Raptor awhile back). I shoot often so I see my self using the 1911 atleast once a week. I do not carry. Haven't thought about future competition but my understanding is they will not allow the Heavyweight in most or all competitions. I have read that the Heavy weight is just pure heaven to shoot. I like the looks of both. Obviously I'll save money buying the TRP over the Les Baer but the dollar diffference is not much of a factor. Is the added cost worth the difference in guns? I Has anyone on the forum owned or shot both that can give me a fair comparison. What would you do? Any input would be appreciated. I guess I need to be swayed one way or another from some 1911 users, my 1911 experience is very limited. I'm wanting to pull the trigger on this on Frdiay.

I'd go with the Monolith. Steel is real, soaks up recoil and makes for a sweet shooter. It looks cool too. :)

Rinspeed
03-04-2010, 04:16
I thought we already went through this once. :dunno:

bac1023
03-04-2010, 05:12
Les Baer for sure.

Officer's Match
03-04-2010, 05:26
You can get closer to the TRP's price and keep the competition options open with a Les Baer Premier II. The P2 is a great 1911 and would serve you a lifetime.

faawrenchbndr
03-04-2010, 05:57

Yep,......:whistling:
Monolith for a range gun.
TRP for a defense weapon, however, the Thunder Ranch Special would be my choise over the TRP.

OP,...search this forum for "monolith" there are a few threads.

TexasVine
03-04-2010, 06:24

Yeah we did but I needed a little more input.
Thanks.

brisk21
03-04-2010, 07:44
Id say get the LB Thunder Ranch. Similar price and similar features to the TRP, but probably a bit higher quality. And its no heavier that the TRP. Plus, it has classic 1911 lines, unlike the monolith. You'll get the best of both worlds, Les Baer quality and a classic 1911 look.

MastiffMan
03-04-2010, 09:00
Les Baer Monolith Heavy weight 1 1/2"..
Great shooting pistol...
Low Recoil
I did my best groups at 25 ... 50 and 100 yards with mine.

Cobra64
03-04-2010, 09:24
Les Baer for sure.

Bac, I thought you had a Baer monolith... Or was that something "same but different?"

GVFlyer
03-04-2010, 09:56
I'm thinking that the Les Baer Monolith might be my next 1911 - I just wish Les made it in a six inch.

Cobra64
03-04-2010, 10:05
I'm thinking that the Les Baer Monolith might be my next 1911 - I just wish Les made it in a six inch.

Why not call him up? You may be surprised. :)

Dan Wesson accomodated all sorts of custom work on my Valor. Where do you think the VBOB came from? :supergrin:

Rinspeed
03-04-2010, 10:11
Why not call him up? You may be surprised. :)

Dan Wesson accomodated all sorts of custom work on my Valor. Where do you think the VBOB came from? :supergrin:

Big difference between adding material and taking it off. :supergrin:

faawrenchbndr
03-04-2010, 10:15
Yeah we did but I needed a little more input.
Thanks.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1105822&highlight=monolith

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c341/faawrenchbndr/LesBaerMonolithHWpic4.jpg

Officer's Match
03-04-2010, 10:57

That would be a heavy sucker. This would work for me:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2706/4399494981_c81b2fa686_o.jpg

ronin.45
03-04-2010, 11:01
I love the TRP but the Monolith is a sweet gun. Go with the Baer.

gconan
03-04-2010, 15:08
Two of my favorite guns are my Heavy Weight Monolith and 6" P2. I would hate having to choose between them. I like them both over the TRS and 5"P2. Go ahead and get the Heavy Weight Monolith!

TexasVine
03-05-2010, 13:45
Well, I made a decision and went with a Dan Wesson Stainless Valor. Should be in by the middle of next week. I like the Les Baer Monolith Heavyweight but decided I want to start shooting a little competition so that wasn't the ticket. I was at Sporting Arms in Lewisville, TX and also fell in love with a Dan Wesson CCOB (2010 model) but in wasn't a 5 inch. They told me they they could have a Valour for me next week so I pulled the trigger! Thanks for all of your help on my post.

faawrenchbndr
03-05-2010, 14:13
A Valor is a VERY nice model!

Congrats!

Rinspeed
03-05-2010, 15:58
I like the Les Baer Monolith Heavyweight but decided I want to start shooting a little competition so that wasn't the ticket. I was at Sporting Arms in Lewisville, TX and also fell in love with a Dan Wesson CCOB (2010 model) but in wasn't a 5 inch.

I bought my Baer from Tom and Becky, great people to deal with. I'm sure the Valor will work out just fine for you. Shoot it in the best of health.

CaptCave
03-05-2010, 17:10
http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr348/az_imuth/Old%20Album/SA_OP_40sn-s.jpg

why not compromise?

(not my gun)

Cobra64
03-05-2010, 17:18
Well, I made a decision and went with a Dan Wesson Stainless Valor. Should be in by the middle of next week. I like the Les Baer Monolith Heavyweight but decided I want to start shooting a little competition so that wasn't the ticket. I was at Sporting Arms in Lewisville, TX and also fell in love with a Dan Wesson CCOB (2010 model) but in wasn't a 5 inch. They told me they they could have a Valour for me next week so I pulled the trigger! Thanks for all of your help on my post.

Excellent choice! Post pics ASAP.

Jim Watson
03-06-2010, 08:36
I think you did well. A Valor will be a more versatile gun.
You could not shoot the Monolith in IDPA and I think its applications in IPSC and NRA competitions would be limited. An expensive plinker.

Substance-P
03-06-2010, 11:46
I think you did well. A Valor will be a more versatile gun.
You could not shoot the Monolith in IDPA and I think its applications in IPSC and NRA competitions would be limited. An expensive plinker.

+1 sounds like a great choice. Be sure to post pics once you get the DW.