PM40 blown-out side plate [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : PM40 blown-out side plate

sequoyahjoe
03-04-2010, 10:42
I bought a used Kahr PM40 a while back and intended to use it for concealed carry. Of course I wanted to get to know it so I took it to the range for practice. I have quite a bit of 40 cal reloads that I used to feed to a Glock without a hiccup. I could not get the Kahr to fire more than a few of them without failure to eject issues coming up. I put it back in the safe for a while thinking it was just not going to be reliable enough to carry.
I took it to the range again a few months later and again loaded it with my reloads. Again it showed the same ejecting problems, and on top of that, one fired round caused the plastic side plate near the top rear of the frame to blow off. It bruised my thumb a little bit (I shoot left handed). I could not find the plate, called Kahr and they said it was a safety feature and sent me a new side plate for 8 dollars. They did not say anything about not shooting reloads, although to be fair, I did not think to ask if that was a possible cause of my problems.
A few months later it did the same thing so after a second bruising I put it up and figured I better get advice. Do you think this is a defect and needs repair or should I put some new ammo in there and give it a whirl? I don't really want to get bit again by that side plate coming off again.
Thanks

Denied
03-04-2010, 13:46
Sounds like too much powder, get some factory ammo and try that. Also I would hold off on using the reloads until you can prove your load is correct.

GrandmasterB
03-05-2010, 08:57
I agree. Use factory ammo and not those reloads.

sequoyahjoe
03-05-2010, 09:12
Thanks for the advice.

packinaglock
03-05-2010, 17:03
Kahrs are rated for +p not +p+ so if your loading real heavy that could be an issue. :dunno:

electrohawk
03-15-2010, 16:16
Well, I think that you have a lemon, and you should sell it to me for $100
:supergrin:

1smoothredneck
03-30-2010, 13:39
I had the same thing happen with a P9, using factory ammo(albeit HOT factory ammo). It was the last straw in a long list of problems for a gun I really WANTED to like and keep as a ccw. I went with a g27 and only occasionally look back with regret for what could have been.:crying: