top of the line 1911's [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : top of the line 1911's

Madmax1010
03-04-2010, 13:40
:wavey:

Just a quick question for all the 1911 experts.
Bac you should know this.

Do most top of the line 1911's that come out of custom shops have the GI recoil system installed?:dunno:

bac1023
03-04-2010, 13:54
Top of the line custom builders give you a choice. :)

If you're referring to semi customs, it can go both ways. Most of the flagship models come with a full length guide rod of one or two pieces. However, you can usually specify if you want a change.

Madmax1010
03-04-2010, 15:12

If you're referring to semi customs, it can go both ways. Most of the flagship models come with a full length guide rod of one or two pieces. However, you can usually specify if you want a change.

Thanks Bac
I think I screwed up I meant to say what are the Manufacturers recommending and Why?
Talk about a major screw with my original thread here.

bac1023
03-04-2010, 16:46
Thanks Bac
I think I screwed up I meant to say what are the Manufacturers recommending and Why?
Talk about a major screw with my original thread here.

I'm not really sure they recommend one over the other.

I will say its widely accepted that a full length guide rod does nothing for accuracy. I think they're cool, to a degree. Even though they are a PITA to field strip, I like the two piece variety.

I ordered my latest custom with one.

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu81/ollituc/005-7.jpg

Jim S.
03-04-2010, 17:03
I used to put full length (two piece) guide rods in my 1911's. I realized that they do nothing to make the gun shoot better and they are a pain to take apart.
I like the fact that the original design can be field stripped without tools.
I'm glad I saved all the original parts even from way back when I was young and dinosaurs roamed the Earth.

bac1023
03-04-2010, 17:04
I do like the small amount of extra weight a FLGR gives to the front of the gun.

glock2740
03-04-2010, 17:15
I'm not really sure they recommend one over the other.

I will say its widely accepted that a full length guide rod does nothing for accuracy. I think they're cool, to a degree. Even though they are a PITA to field strip, I like the two peice variety.

I ordered my latest custom with one.

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu81/ollituc/005-7.jpg
Sweet. I can't believe you already dropped it from your avatar:supergrin:

bac1023
03-04-2010, 17:25
Sweet. I can't believe you already dropped it from your avatar:supergrin:

:rofl:

Thanks.

The Para GI Expert replaced it. :tongueout:

...seriously, I change that every month. I was just a few days late is all. :embarassed:

I guess I wanted the Pistol Dynamics on there a little longer. ;)

Don-wayne
03-04-2010, 18:12
Bac
If I had that PD gun not only would I leave it as my avitar but I might have it tattoed to my hip.:wavey:

bac1023
03-04-2010, 18:30
Bac
If I had that PD gun not only would I leave it as my avitar but I might have it tattoed to my hip.:wavey:

:supergrin:

Thanks. Its certainly one of the crown jewels of my handgun collection.

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu81/ollituc/026.jpg

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu81/ollituc/023.jpg

HAIL CAESAR
03-04-2010, 19:14

That is about right. Some will recommend them, some will not, and some won't care which way you go.

The only real thing that a FLGR will definitely do is add weight forward on the gun. This helps with recoil control for faster shooting.

Cobra64
03-04-2010, 19:29
That is about right. Some will recommend them, some will not, and some won't care which way you go.

The only real thing that a FLGR will definitely do is add weight forward on the gun. This helps with recoil control for faster shooting.

My S&W, Performance Center, and Valor all came with full length guide rods.

The Colt WWI 1918 came with a stubby guide rod. I can't measure any difference in the ease or difficulty in field stripping.

I seem to remember there's also a multi throat, DOHC, fuel injected, guide rod configuration with Nitros turbo boost and low profile cadmium connectors.

HAMMERHEAD
03-04-2010, 19:36
According to Baer's website at the time I ordered my P-II, it was supposed to come with FLGR & buffer, but came with GI style rod and no buffer.

I bought a FLGR, and quickly discovered it did absolutely nothing for me except make take down slower. Now it sits in the spare parts drawer.

Cobra64
03-04-2010, 19:55
According to Baer's website at the time I ordered my P-II, it was supposed to come with FLGR & buffer, but came with GI style rod and no buffer.

I bought a FLGR, and quickly discovered it did absolutely nothing for me except make take down slower. Now it sits in the spare parts drawer.

How does it make it slower to take down?

bac1023
03-04-2010, 20:03

That's all I like about it. I don't think it does a thing for accuracy.

Also, for whatever reason I like the two piece type. I guess I think its cool using an allen wrench to field strip it. It just makes everything feel solid, especially when tightening it back in. Of course, another part of me thinks its a PITA to need a tool to clean a gun. :embarassed:

bac1023
03-04-2010, 20:05
How does it make it slower to take down?

The two piece variety does, Cobra.

You need an allen wrench to field strip it. The standard one piece FLGR is no big deal.

HAIL CAESAR
03-04-2010, 20:10
That's all I like about it. I don't think it does a thing for accuracy.

Also, for whatever reason I like the two piece type. I guess I think its cool using an allen wrench to field strip it. It just makes everything feel solid, especially when tightening it back in. Of course, another part of me thinks its a PITA to need a tool to clean a gun. :embarassed:

I think we really agree on this point. I think the FLGR is worthless outside competition and range shooter ( for recoil control), but it is a "no harm, no foul" type of modification. You can love them and I may hate them but it is just a personal choice and opinions.

I do like the way a GI strips in the field with no tools.

But I shot a rail 1911 with a Surefire light hanging and a Tungsten FLGR and must admit.....it was a nice shooter.:embarassed:

Cobra64
03-04-2010, 20:15
The two piece variety does, Cobra.

You need an allen wrench to field strip it. The standard one piece FLGR is no big deal.I remember now.

How about the short guide rod vs. the long" guide rod? Weight only?

HAIL CAESAR
03-04-2010, 20:18
Oh, I did forget to say that a couple times over the years I have had a shell stick hard in the chamber. And I mean stuck HARD. I am a fairly big boy with a lot of years of farm work under my belt so I have fairly strong hands and I couldn't get the slide back. So I jammed the front of the slide against an edge and pushed HARD and the shell popped out. That is something that you could not have done with a FLGR.

That and really only that is the reason I say and do stay away from FLGR's in a Officers duty gun or a CC gun. I'm funny that way, if something happens, even just once or twice, I get a burr under my saddle about it.

bac1023
03-04-2010, 20:26
I remember now.

How about the short guide rod vs. the long" guide rod? Weight only?

Cobra, that's pretty much it.

The theory behind a FLGR is that it keeps the recoil spring straight during fire.

I didn't realize your custom Valor came with a FLGR. I guess it just never registered with me. Did you order it that way? I don't remember you specifying that.

My Valor has the standard setup. Either way is fine. I'm just curious.

Cobra64
03-04-2010, 20:33
Cobra, that's pretty much it.

The theory behind a FLGR is that it keeps the recoil spring straight during fire.

I didn't realize your custom Valor came with a FLGR. I guess it just never registered with me. Did you order it that way? I don't remember you specifying that.

My Valor has the standard setup. Either way is fine. I'm just curious.

I just told Keith I wanted the best internals available, and build it accordingly. There was no conversation about the guide rod.

bac1023
03-04-2010, 20:52
I just told Keith I wanted the best internals available, and build it accordingly. There was no conversation about the guide rod.

I didn't think so.

Most of my top 1911s have FLGRs, a few are two piece.

hatg
03-05-2010, 21:47
Most Les Baers and Ed Browns come with the GI setup. This is also the setup in the Wilson Combat CQB and Springfield Professional Model. Many custom shops, such as Heirloom precision, use the old GI rod and plug too.