stupid primer question?? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : stupid primer question??

180FMJ
03-04-2010, 15:19
Hey guys!

I'm new to the forum and new to reloading the 10mm. I just got 2,000 remington LPP and 1 lb of Accurate No. 7 from a friend of a friend for cheap ($30.00 and a fishing trip :wow:) I already have 1lb of blue dot and all the necessary tools / dies.. Right now I'm going to be reloading with 1x fired remington brass (waiting for 1000 starlines to be shipped) All the recipes I can find for blue dot and #7 call for federal or cci LPP. I found some recipies for 800-x with remington LPP but it seems most of you guys prefer mag primers for 800-x.....???

My question is if I back off a bit on the powder and SLOWLY work my way up, will it make that big of a difference if I use a remington LPP vs. a CCI or federal? I'd rather be safe than sorry. I'll be using 180 and 200 gr. JHP out of a G20 w/ a 22lb recoil spring.

THANKS!

Taterhead
03-04-2010, 23:32
First, let me say welcome to loading for the 10mm auto. It is a fine and versatile cartridge.

Good questions all. Like with any load data, begin with the starting loads and work up. I do that even when I use identical components that are called for in the manual. You should be fine with the Remingtons if using such protocols. Substituting primers and beginning at starting loads should be safe. FWIW, I use CCI primers more than any others. However, I haven't had any problems with any others. If you switch primers in the future, you'll need to back off your loads and work up again.

I've used magnum and standard LP primers with 800-X, and 800-X runs fine for me with standard primers. Velocity spreads are tighter with mag primers, but pressure signs show up earlier (in my setup) with mag primers and 800-X. Your results may vary. Personally, I don't care much for 800-X except for the fact that it seems perfect for the 135 gr Nosler JHP. The other downside to 800-X is that it meters like crap. I hand weigh every charge of 800-X. If you use it, you'll find out what I mean.

I like the versatility of Blue Dot (lots of available load data and good performance). It meters reasonably well too. A7 is great for 155 and 165 grainers. My best performance for 165 gr and heavier bullets has been with A9. Plus A9 and A7 meter great.

Quick note about Blue Dot: Alliant released a safety warning for 125 gr bullets in .357 mag and all of .41 mag. There has been no published warning for 10mm auto, but this bulletin has given some folks the creeps; so they no longer work with Blue Dot in 10mm. I think their points are worth considering. I personally use BD more than any other powder. It has been very consistent for me. I have not experienced the erratic tendencies that some have described. It is consistent over my chrony at a wide range of temperatures.

Since you are new, make sure you stop by and read this thread:

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=179485

Stay safe.

180FMJ
03-05-2010, 14:18
Thanks taterhead!

Just what I wanted to hear.
I'm going to stick with the blue dot and #7 for now, working my powder up slowly of course. After I get the hang of it and get a chronograph I'll post up some numbers.
THANKS AGAIN!

G20gunner
03-08-2010, 00:09
First, let me say welcome to loading for the 10mm auto. It is a fine and versatile cartridge.

Good questions all. Like with any load data, begin with the starting loads and work up. I do that even when I use identical components that are called for in the manual. You should be fine with the Remingtons if using such protocols. Substituting primers and beginning at starting loads should be safe. FWIW, I use CCI primers more than any others. However, I haven't had any problems with any others. If you switch primers in the future, you'll need to back off your loads and work up again.

I've used magnum and standard LP primers with 800-X, and 800-X runs fine for me with standard primers. Velocity spreads are tighter with mag primers, but pressure signs show up earlier (in my setup) with mag primers and 800-X. Your results may vary. Personally, I don't care much for 800-X except for the fact that it seems perfect for the 135 gr Nosler JHP. The other downside to 800-X is that it meters like crap. I hand weigh every charge of 800-X. If you use it, you'll find out what I mean.

I like the versatility of Blue Dot (lots of available load data and good performance). It meters reasonably well too. A7 is great for 155 and 165 grainers. My best performance for 165 gr and heavier bullets has been with A9. Plus A9 and A7 meter great.

Quick note about Blue Dot: Alliant released a safety warning for 125 gr bullets in .357 mag and all of .41 mag. There has been no published warning for 10mm auto, but this bulletin has given some folks the creeps; so they no longer work with Blue Dot in 10mm. I think their points are worth considering. I personally use BD more than any other powder. It has been very consistent for me. I have not experienced the erratic tendencies that some have described. It is consistent over my chrony at a wide range of temperatures.

Since you are new, make sure you stop by and read this thread:

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=179485

Stay safe.

That Blue Dot warning from Alliant was weird. They just say don't use it at all in a 41 mag. What kind of expalnation is that? If it's not safe in a 41 mag. or 357 mag, why isn't it safe??? That would give anyone pause to use it anything:upeyes:. I don't think they ever did explain their warning:dunno:.

G20gunner:wavey: