Quetion for Master Reloaders [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Quetion for Master Reloaders

robin303
03-04-2010, 18:32
Lubing Brass. What is your technique and what do you use for 9mm and 40 S&W. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
I find myself lubing every 3<SUP>rd</SUP> one to go into my Lee dies decapping and such.<o:p></o:p>
Must be a easier and faster way. <o:p></o:p>
Thanks<o:p></o:p>

chris in va
03-04-2010, 18:34
If your Lee dies have the carbide inserts, you don't have to lube the cases.

fredj338
03-04-2010, 18:36
Lubing Brass. What is your technique and what do you use for 9mm and 40 S&W. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
I find myself lubing every 3<SUP>rd</SUP> one to go into my Lee dies decapping and such.<o:p></o:p>
Using carbide dies? I don't lube cases at all when using carbide sizers. For steel, you really should lube every case to make sure one oversize one doesn't stick. Many swear by Hornady OneShot case lube, goes on wet, size after it dries & doesn't need to be removed. I have started using it on my longer magnum cases that require more force to size. Just makes things easier. For the short service cases, the polish residue left over from tumbling is all I need w/ carbide dies.

ede
03-04-2010, 18:36
my question is how does someone become a master reloader? it might be one of those things if you have to ask you ain't one. try HOS and a gallon freezer bag.

GioaJack
03-04-2010, 18:40
It's easier just to let the butler do it. Other than that suggestion the 'Master Loader' part of your question disqualifies me. (What's lube? :dunno:)

Jack

n2extrm
03-04-2010, 18:51
I use the dillon spray lube for all my rifle stuff. My pistol dies are all carbide and I don't lube the brass, like fred.

I lay all my rifle brass on a cookie sheet (don't tell my wife she is still trying to figure out how she missplaced it) and give them a light spray, then a little shake and another light spray. The key is light on the spray or you will gum up dies and dent cases. By the time I have the scale zeroed and my bullet next to the press the cases are ready to go. They claim you can leave the lube on, but I wipe them down and look them over for a final inspection when I box them up.

Run&Shoot
03-04-2010, 18:53
For handgun cases I use carbide resizer dies which do not need lubrication. For rifle cases (would apply to handgun cases with steel dies) I use a spray like RCBS or Hornady. I place the cases in the loading block head up and spay across all the cases from two sides.

Most of the friction is at the base, or head, of the case. You also want to get some lube inside the neck since that is where the case mouth sizing mandrel drags through. If you use a dry lube like Hornady you don't have to clean after sizing before putting in powder.

Colorado4Wheel
03-04-2010, 18:56
7 Views, 6 Post only one guy around here so far isn't a master. All in less then 30mins as well.

bulldog1144
03-04-2010, 18:59
Hey guys, I'm new to this forum, but I have a question about reloading. I have a G30 that my wife surprised me with a couple of Christmas' ago ( what a gal ) and I just this week bought a G36 for a little easier concealment in lighter clothing. I also bought a single stage Lee press kit to save a little money shooting. My question is, I have read on another thread on here that buying an aftermarket barrel was better if you were going to reload the brass because Glock barrels cause the brass to bulge too much from excessive room in the chamber. How much difference does it make and is it really necessary if I am using a full length resizing die? I've seen where I can get a lone wolf barrel for around 100 bucks. Thanks for any input.

robin303
03-04-2010, 19:12
7 Views, 6 Post only one guy around here so far isn't a master. All in less then 30mins as well.

I knew you would chime in. :supergrin:

GioaJack
03-04-2010, 19:13
Hey guys, I'm new to this forum, but I have a question about reloading. I have a G30 that my wife surprised me with a couple of Christmas' ago ( what a gal ) and I just this week bought a G36 for a little easier concealment in lighter clothing. I also bought a single stage Lee press kit to save a little money shooting. My question is, I have read on another thread on here that buying an aftermarket barrel was better if you were going to reload the brass because Glock barrels cause the brass to bulge too much from excessive room in the chamber. How much difference does it make and is it really necessary if I am using a full length resizing die? I've seen where I can get a lone wolf barrel for around 100 bucks. Thanks for any input.

Don't worry about bulges with the Glock .45 barrels, it's not an issue. If you're going to be shooting you may want to consider a LW barrel... lot of different opinions on that issue.

Does your wife have a sister?

Jack

Oh... welcome to the mad house.

bulldog1144
03-04-2010, 19:22
GioaJack, thanks for the input. When you say " if you're going to be shooting, you should consider a lw barrel ", do you mean just to keep from wearing my glock barrel out? And by the way, my wife does have a sister, but she is already taken. Sorry.

Colorado4Wheel
03-04-2010, 19:23

Yeah, but I didn't read the first post.

IndyGunFreak
03-04-2010, 19:40
GioaJack, thanks for the input. When you say " if you're going to be shooting, you should consider a lw barrel ", do you mean just to keep from wearing my glock barrel out? And by the way, my wife does have a sister, but she is already taken. Sorry.

Jack's a bit senile, but I think he meant "If you're going to be shooting lead"... :)

I'm hardly a master, but Hornady Case lube is pretty good. There's a guy who shoots at my range who swears by Dillon Case Lube. I don't know him that well, just kinda one of those guys I run into on occasion, and I've probably not seen him in probably 5-6mo.

robin303
03-04-2010, 19:42
I use the dillon spray lube for all my rifle stuff. My pistol dies are all carbide and I don't lube the brass, like fred.

I lay all my rifle brass on a cookie sheet (don't tell my wife she is still trying to figure out how she missplaced it) and give them a light spray, then a little shake and another light spray. The key is light on the spray or you will gum up dies and dent cases. By the time I have the scale zeroed and my bullet next to the press the cases are ready to go. They claim you can leave the lube on, but I wipe them down and look them over for a final inspection when I box them up.

The spray sounds like a easy quick way to go. :thumbsup:

(don't tell my wife she is still trying to figure out how she missplaced it) :rofl:

GioaJack
03-04-2010, 19:42

Bulldog:

There is a bit of controversy concerning the type of rifling that Glock uses and if it's compatible with lead bullets. You might want to do a 'search' of this forum... after reading the 7 thousand pages you'll still be bewildered... as are many of us.

BTW... you probably won't live long enough to wear out your barrel... after all, they're not NRA target pistols.

Too bad about your wife's sister... yet another woman who will lose out on the extreme pleasures of life. :whistling:

Jack

GioaJack
03-04-2010, 19:44
Jack's a bit senile, but I think he meant "If you're going to be shooting lead"... :)

Oops... I'm running back and forth from the stove, guess I forgot a rather important word. Don't want my Rice-A-Roni to burn. Sorry. :crying:

Jack

Bob2223
03-04-2010, 19:53
[quote=IndyGunFreak;14878211]Jack's a bit senile, but I think he meant "If you're going to be shooting lead"... :)
quote]

:rofl:

Don't rouse and distract him IGF he will burn his Rice-A-Roni !

Bob :supergrin:

dudel
03-04-2010, 19:54

Yep. Don't lube them at all. Make sure your carbide insert is clean. I run a bore brush with a wet patch through the die (with the decapping pin removed). Even with clean brass, I'm surprised at how dirty the carbide gets. Clean carbide makes for smoother stroke.

If you lube the cases, you also need to remove the lube to avoid stress on the breechface.

bulldog1144
03-04-2010, 20:07
Jack, thanks again. I didn't really think shooting my barrel out would ever be a problem. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't another issue I hadn't heard about. I had read about the lead bullet issue, but for right now I am going to stick to reloading fmj bullets. In the future, I might get the lw barrel and try lead to cut costs even further. Thanks again, David aka bulldog

Bob2223
03-04-2010, 20:18

Even with carbide dies I run a lubed one every 5th or 6th one.
I lay em in a cardboard box and roll them around and hit em with Hornady one shot spray.
Pretty fast and no mess.

Oh Jack uses nose oil for lube.
Ya just gotta ask him about it. :whistling:

Bob

njl
03-04-2010, 20:33
I'm no master reloader (only been doing it a year) and I don't know if my way is necessarily even a good way to go about it...but here's what I've been doing. I put just a tiny amount of pure lanolin on my thumb and index finger...literally just about as much as if I were using it as a moisturizer. When I pick up a piece of brass to put into the press, I roll it between my thumb and index finger. This puts a bit of lanolin on the brass. When it seems things are "running dry", I put a little more on my thumb, rub it between my thumb and index finger, and keep going.

With carbide sizing dies and straight wall pistol cases, you don't have to lube...but if you haven't tried it, you really should. It makes the resizing so much easier.

GioaJack
03-04-2010, 20:34
Even with carbide dies I run a lubed one every 5th or 6th one.
I lay em in a cardboard box and roll them around and hit em with Hornady one shot spray.
Pretty fast and no mess.

Oh Jack uses nose oil for lube.
Ya just gotta ask him about it. :whistling:

Bob

Robin:

Pay no attention to bob2223, his advice will lead you to financial ruin... he only knows how to use all that store bought stuff... a blatant sign of a rookie.

If I ever find him stuck in a drainage pipe he'll be begging me to use the world famous 'nose oil' but I won't hear 'em cause I'll be walking away. :poke:

Jack

Ruble Noon
03-04-2010, 20:41
+1 for Dillon lube.

DEADLYACCURATE
03-04-2010, 20:42
carbide dies no lube

robin303
03-04-2010, 21:31
Welcome bulldog. Dang good people here for sure.

PEC-Memphis
03-04-2010, 21:35
Redding Carbide Dies

Gallon Ziplock Bag

One-Shot

glocknick
03-04-2010, 21:40
Yep. Don't lube them at all. Make sure your carbide insert is clean. I run a bore brush with a wet patch through the die (with the decapping pin removed). Even with clean brass, I'm surprised at how dirty the carbide gets. Clean carbide makes for smoother stroke.

If you lube the cases, you also need to remove the lube to avoid stress on the breechface.

do you just use water to wet the patches or do you used some sort of cleaner?

LoadedTech
03-04-2010, 21:43
So, after how many rounds, would you guys say, before cleaning carbide dies? If no lube has been used. I've got a few k through mine and haven't used any lube. Cant say the same for my casefeeder :whistling:

10mm29
03-04-2010, 21:48

Good thing it wasn't a question about fishing. Then we would have had a bunch of master baiters.:rofl:

JerryO
03-04-2010, 21:53

I use 2 squirts of midway lube (same a dillon), which is lanolin based in a large plastic bag. Then I roll a 1,000 cases around in the bag. This reduces the the effort to resize tapered cases like the 9 mm. Straight wall cases such as .40 don't need the lube as much as the 9mm.

This doesn't get any lube in side the case.

JerryO

Colorado4Wheel
03-04-2010, 22:10

You can probably figure my response would be a little different as well.

As far as lubing cases. I use Lee Case Lube, Diluted with 99% pure alcohol. Spray in bag and shake. It's hard to get the lube/alcohol to mix so I get a 50/50 mix done with a spoon in a measuring cup and then mix the rest. It works like HOS, it's not slippery at all. It makes the press run smoother. It's worth the trouble and as you know lee stuff is cheap enough to get. Last a long time.

buyobuyo
03-04-2010, 22:14
I mix a tube of Lee's lube (2 oz) with 16 oz of 97% isopropyl alcohol in a spray bottle. I use 2-3 squirts with rifle brass and maybe 1 squirt for brass going through a carbide die just to help it along. Then I run it through the tumble for 15 min to remove the lube after sizing.

Hoser
03-04-2010, 22:27
I have carbide dies for almost all my pistol calibers.

I refuse to use lube.

I dont care if it makes reloading easier. Darn it, I have carbide dies and I like my sore shoulder.

If I was to use lube, it would be Hornady One Shot sprayed right on the brass in the casefeeder.

But then again I have carbide dies and using lube is evil. Doesent matter how easy it makes things.

Colorado4Wheel
03-04-2010, 22:42
This is a new side to Hozer I have heard about but never seen. Stubborn.

Run&Shoot
03-04-2010, 23:29
If you need to lube 9mm cases with carbide dies, then maybe you should visit the gym more often. :rofl:

srd
03-05-2010, 06:39
Carbide dies..no lube..Steel dies..RCBS case lube and a pad...223 i use RCBS case lube die. Keep it simple.

Kentucky Shooter
03-05-2010, 06:42
Carbide dies..no lube..Steel dies..RCBS case lube and a pad...223 i use RCBS case lube die. Keep it simple.

+1.......this is what I do.

fudd
03-05-2010, 08:42
Not a master reloader but I am a master...

Never thought to lube a straight neck pistol case. Just use plenty of wax in the tumble and they are always slippery enough. I clean the dies regulary as well. Never had a problem.

Zombie Steve
03-05-2010, 09:06
Well, my approach was to master one thing at a time. So far, I'm a master of the primer pocket cleaning tool, changing the media in the tumbler, putting the shiny things in the loading block and wiping off finished rounds with a rag. Beyond that, you're guess is as good as mine.

:supergrin:

No lube with a carbide sizing die.

PCJim
03-05-2010, 10:51
Guess I'm joining this party late, 'cause I was actually out reloading.....

No lube with straight walled cases in carbide dies.

C4W, where are you finding 99% Isopropyl as I have not seen any anywhere around here in the Rxs or Walmarts.

Boxerglocker
03-05-2010, 11:37
I just lay the cleaned tumbled brass (approx 350 cases) on a old cookie sheet. Light misting spray with Horandy one shot aerosol case lube, let dry for a minute or two, dump in my emtpy case bin on my loader and load.

Since staring to use HOS, I once go complacent and didn't lube any... within minutes of loading that batch. I realised the value of it, so much easier on the press and the body ergonomically IMO, though I'm well aware that carbide dies don't need to lubed necessarily. I also use HOS to lightly lube the bearing surfaces on my press dies after cleaning every 1000 rounds. That too makes a world of difference in the way the machine acts.

I don't usually clean off the HOS after loading for practice rounds and informal matches, but when doing a batch of important match rounds throw them back in the tumbler with corn cob for about 15-20 minutes to clean them off and polish up the bullets before I do my final case gauge and inspect. I like those pretty shiny bullets :cool:

Boxerglocker
03-05-2010, 11:39

C4W, where are you finding 99% Isopropyl as I have not seen any anywhere around here in the Rxs or Walmarts.

Home depot / Lowes has 99% Isopropyl and so does the paint department at Fred Meyers here in the Seattle area.

GioaJack
03-05-2010, 11:44
Dewars or Chivas Regal scotch... it's not nearly 99% alcohol but after a few minutes you won't care. :whistling:

Jack

Colorado4Wheel
03-05-2010, 11:57

My grocery store has it. Safeway. Just need to look around more I think.

fudd
03-05-2010, 12:27

I know the question wasn't mine but you can ask your pharmacist and he will order it in for you.

PBKing
03-05-2010, 12:27
where are you finding 99% Isopropyl

I've seen it with a Good Neighbor Pharmacy label as well.

PCJim
03-05-2010, 14:11
Appreciate the input on where to find the 99%. Looks like I'll probably find it at the local HD - hadn't considered looking there. Many thanks all.

Jack, you won't find me wasting fine spirits by throwing some lanolin into it.

unclebob
03-05-2010, 14:40
If you want too lube straight wall pistol cases. Decide what spray lube you want too use. Take a gallon zip lock bag. Spray the inside of the bag, add between a quarter and a half of the brass you care going too be sizing in the bag. Shake the bag. Add this brass with the rest of the brass that you well be sizing. Mix them around. When loading you only need about every 4 or 5 cases lubed. There is enough lube left behind in the die too lube the other cases that are not lubed.
If you read some reloading manual they well tell you too lube even 9mm cases, even when using carbide dies.

Big Wes
03-05-2010, 15:47
I use Dillon carbide dies and I lube all my pistol cases with the Dillon spray lube. It makes the press run smoother to me anyway.:cool:

jaybirdjtt
03-05-2010, 15:54
Hey! I am not a master reloader, just been doing it for almost 50 years! Haven't blown anything up yet or had a squib load.

Best thing I ever did was get carbide sizing dies for every straight wall case I reload.
I have a case lube pad. I've tried the spray on lubes. The less greasy the lube the better. Things have improved alot since the days of using Brylcreem but the principle is the same, use as little as you can.
I am reading Elmer Keith's bio, "Hell! I Was There" and I haven't gotten to the part where he talks about case lube but I'd bet it was rendered bear fat. Seriously, the stuff is what pastry chefs love. My wife came home once while I was just a'cookin it away and she just about died! I still rely on good old RCBS case lube. If it ain't broke.....

alank2
03-08-2010, 18:43
Hi,

I never lube rounds with carbide dies. If you want to make the session a little easier, you can spray a little Hornady Oneshot on the cases first. No need to remove it afterwards...

Good luck,

Alan

robin303
03-08-2010, 19:09
Thanks for all the replies you guys. Ordered the spray stuff from Midway. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Now there is got to be a faster way to debur 9mm and 40 S&W brass. Maybe a new topic but with over 1500 once fired brass. Thinking about putting the gizmo on my cordless drill. You see the pattern don’t you that I’m a lazy ass lol. <o:p></o:p>

GioaJack
03-08-2010, 19:28
Thanks for all the replies you guys. Ordered the spray stuff from Midway. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Now there is got to be a faster way to debur 9mm and 40 S&W brass. Maybe a new topic but with over 1500 once fired brass. Thinking about putting the gizmo on my cordless drill. You see the pattern donít you that Iím a lazy ass lol. <o:p></o:p>

Order some more premium movie channels then sit back and relax... you don't need to waste your time deburring them... or trimming or any of that other neat stuff.

Save that tedious work for your rifle rounds... well, some of the bottle neck pistol calibers too I guess.

Jack

dudel
03-08-2010, 21:01
Now there is got to be a faster way to debur 9mm and 40 S&W brass. Maybe a new topic but with over 1500 once fired brass. Thinking about putting the gizmo on my cordless drill. You see the pattern donít you that Iím a lazy ass lol. <o:p></o:p>

Drill press (and gloves).

I recently chucked a Wilson deburring tool into the press and left it running at a slow speed. I had about 1000 45 ACP small primer cases to remove the crimp from. Touch each one to the spinning tool, and got them all done quick and easy. You develop a good pace when you've got less to do. In this case, pick up brass, touch it to the tool, discard brass. No messing with holding the drill, turning it on, etc. Economy of motion.

BTW, the Midway pump spray lube works fine. A little goes a long way. You'll think you didn't put enough on and will continue spraying. Don't. Spray it on, and the alcohol base lets it migrate around the case. I clean it up after the rounds are loaded. If the round feels slippery or sticky/waxy, they need to be cleaned.

Don