Les Baer for $1100... Does something have to be wrong with it? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Les Baer for $1100... Does something have to be wrong with it?

TalkToTheGlock
03-04-2010, 20:52
I am recently looking into buying my first 1911. I was
going to purchase a Dan Wesson or Kimber for my first.

However, I was talking to one of my friends at college and her husband was looking to get rid of a few guns from his collection. So, I get in contact with her husband and he gives me the list of guns. He said he has a Les Baer custom .45ACP that he is looking to get rid of.

So, I immediately asked what price he is looking to get rid
of it for. I was expecting >$1500, however when he said $1100 I was in dismay.

I'm not a expert on 1911's but I do know from bac's posts that they fetch a pretty penny.

So my question is, should I look for anything abnormal when I check this gun out? And is this a steal of a deal for a Les Baer.

I don't know what size barrel or model, only that it is a Les Baer.

I will try and snap pics when I goto look at it next week and hopefully snatch it up.

Thanks.

texmex
03-04-2010, 21:38
I got one off Gunbroker for $1200. It is a Concept V. If the Baer hasn't been altered or abused, $1100 is a heck of a deal. Mine didn't come with the original box or magazine. If it is a one owner gun or you are reasonably sure of it's history, go for it. Times are hard right now and the guy may just need the money.

HAIL CAESAR
03-04-2010, 21:57
May not be a darn thing wrong with it. I have bought PII's for 1 grand before and bought LNIB ones for 1,100. I have horse traded into ones even cheaper.

Guy is probably hard on his luck. or don't really know what he has got and it's value.

And I would not wait until next week. Someone will get it before you do.

dewidmt
03-04-2010, 22:28
I bought a like-new Comanche Monolith for $1300 a few months back. Gun shop had knocked the price down twice because "nobody around these parts has that much money for a gun". So yeah, you can get them (relatively) cheap sometimes.

armslist
03-04-2010, 22:43
Read the other thread about deals people passed on and regret it to this day. If you pass, you will regret it for years to come.

CMG
03-05-2010, 01:14
I'm not a expert on 1911's but I do know from bac's posts that they fetch a pretty penny...

I think bac exaggerates....... :tongueout:

If you don't know how to function check a 1911-pattern, then google it.

Take that knowledge along with a keen eye for buggered screws, etc. when you go to look at the pistol and your chances of getting a truly bad gun are much less.

kirgi08
03-05-2010, 01:24
Not on your life,Bac gives honest feedback on any pistol he owns.'08.

Rinspeed
03-05-2010, 04:17
Five or six years ago you could buy a new Baer for less than $1300. I would snag it before he does a little research.

DLebowski
03-05-2010, 07:18
Local gun shop had a well used one in the case for a while, eventually came down to under a $1k. I called Les Baer with the SN to see what I could find out and it turns out that they had sold the frame only.

It seemed like a well built pistol, but only a LB frame. So sometimes a LB isn't really a LB.

But a genuine LB anything for $1100 in good condition is a steal. Buy it if it checks out.

ILannoyed
03-05-2010, 07:32
Read the other thread about deals people passed on and regret it to this day. If you pass, you will regret it for years to come.

So true. Don't even ask about the Model 19 I passed on, it haunts me to this day. If the Baer looks like it is in good shape, that could be a heck of a deal.

doc540
03-05-2010, 08:16
This story tugs at my heart strings.

Please PM me this poor man's number.

I'll do everything I can to ease the burden of having to dispose of his guns.:wavey:

zdragon23c
03-05-2010, 08:44
$1100 is what a DEALER woulda paid for a Baer in 90%-100% condition.
i would say go for it before someone else does.

faawrenchbndr
03-05-2010, 09:48
I think bac exaggerates....... :tongueout:

If you don't know how to function check a 1911-pattern, then google it.

Take that knowledge along with a keen eye for buggered screws, etc. when you go to look at the pistol and your chances of getting a truly bad gun are much less.

Yes Sir,......even if it didn't come in a cardboard box! :supergrin:

willowofwisp
03-05-2010, 12:48
Yes Sir,......even if it didn't come in a cardboard box! :supergrin:

you can buy a cardboard box from baer for 13$ shipped.

gconan
03-05-2010, 16:06
I have seen used Baers go for 1000$, 1150$, 1200$ before. Somebody got very, very good deals before.

itsgottabeapit
03-05-2010, 16:36
beg, borrow or steal the money and go get it.

TalkToTheGlock
03-05-2010, 22:04
beg, borrow or steal the money and go get it.

It's funny that you mention that. I am putting in 72 hours this week at my job during this week (spring break) just to buy this firearm. The only thing that keeps me stable at work is thinking of that beautiful 1911 in my hand at the range!

Thanks everybody. I will most likely purchase the Baer. Why settle for a Kimber for around the same money when I can get a Baer for a few hundred more.

I told him not to sell that firearm because I am going to buy it from him and he knows how much I love firearms (handguns in particular) so he will give me dibs on it.

It will probably be this week or the following when I look at it or pick it up.

The biggest threat is bac finding out where this guy is and going all mission impossible and jacking it from me. :steamed:

Thanks Guys and Happy and SAFE shooting!

HAIL CAESAR
03-05-2010, 22:13
$1100 is what a DEALER woulda paid for a Baer in 90%-100% condition.
i would say go for it before someone else does.

A dealer would give you less than 1,100 for a Baer PII at under true NRA 95%, At 90% true NRA ( not gun guy guessing %) the dealer is going to offer you $800'ish.

zdragon23c
03-05-2010, 23:18
A dealer would give you less than 1,100 for a Baer PII at under true NRA 95%, At 90% true NRA ( not gun guy guessing %) the dealer is going to offer you $800'ish.

Not really.....depend on who you talk to.

http://www.budsbuysguns.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/21_765

HAIL CAESAR
03-05-2010, 23:22
Not really.....depend on who you talk to.

http://www.budsbuysguns.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/21_765

Speaking from experience...just try and deal with Buds on a trade in. Your gun better be better than LNIB NRA 100% to get the money they promise. Once you pay shipping to get the gun there, they WILL find "something" that makes your gun less than NRA 100% and give you less.

TexasVine
03-06-2010, 08:01
in my recent quest to find the right 1911 for me I looked at and researched Les baer Guns. if it's in good shape, buy it.

Also, for those of you looking for a deal on a SRP. I saw a brand new one at Cheaper Than Dirt in Fort Worth, Texas that had been reduced from $2,700 to $2,100 because the glass case had broken and scratched the finish a little. I bet someone could talk them down even more.

Jim Watson
03-06-2010, 08:32
Trust you have looked up how to inspect a pistol.

On a private sale you have the option to request a testfire.
If it goes through an agreed upon number of factory rounds, buy it.