03-04-2010, 21:12
Talk to me about 40 round mags.

space_weazel
03-04-2010, 23:28
I understand they are long........:whistling:

Alaskapopo
03-04-2010, 23:29
Talk to me about 40 round mags.

I have some Bulgy 40 round mags, a steel one and a few 40 round cheaper bulgy bullet pattern mags. All work fine. The Circle 10 are the best. They are great for when you want to use an AK in a three gun match.
Not so great for prone shooting.
pat

fnfalman
03-05-2010, 09:16
Too damn long.

RWBlue
03-05-2010, 10:14
I understand they are long........:whistling:

That is kind of the reason I was thinking of getting 2.
This goes back to carrying mags for training, and SHTF.
I am thinking with the pouch I have, 2 long mags and 2 shorter mags, might make it easier to get a mag out quickly.

Too damn long.

Explain the issue.

CarlosC
03-05-2010, 11:10
Too damn long.

I agree.

RW, for your sake, I sincerely hope you never run into a SHTF where you actually need a 40-round mag my friend. Actually, I hope you never need 40 round mags for extended protection. You're talking some serious sustained firepower. At that point, it would probably be best to simply leave than to have to hold out or fight it out 40 rounds at a time with mag changes and all.

I'm not ragging on you, I've actually given this some thought in my own life in the wake of my parents having to deal with their post-Hurricane Andrew neighborhood in Miami years ago. Any semi-auto rifle or shotgun looks very menacing to a looter, especially some military-type hardware like an AK or AR. It sort of says you are serious. But to need to lay down 40 rounds...hmmm...nah.

Now if it's in actual combat, then hell yeah. In fact, Russian soldiers in Afghanistan were known to covet the RPK mags for their AK-74s.

RWBlue
03-05-2010, 11:50
RW, for your sake, I sincerely hope you never run into a SHTF

I'm not ragging on you,

Me too. I am too old and slow to think I am indestructible.
And sure your not ragging on me. :supergrin:

This is more about formal training where they want people to carry 4-5 mags minimal. What ever I do there, is what I will do. The pouches I have will hold 4 AK 30 round mags, but the first mag out will be with 2 fingers. If the 40 rounder is longer, it would be easier to grab.

PlasticGuy
03-05-2010, 17:00
While 30 round Bulgarian "Circle 10" mags are the backbone of my AK magazine collection, I have some Yugo 40 rounders as well as Hungarian 20 rounders and like both at times. My mag pouches are always full of 30 rounders, but I like the 40 rounders for dishing out a lot of stationary firepower (home defense, for instance), and love the 20 rounders when I'm carrying the rifle for long distances or when folding the stock and hiding the rifle in a bag or backpack.

Why not get some Bulgarian or Yugo 40 round mags? They're not that expensive, so you're not out much if you buy a few and don't like them.

Alaskapopo
03-05-2010, 17:12
While 30 round Bulgarian "Circle 10" mags are the backbone of my AK magazine collection, I have some Yugo 40 rounders as well as Hungarian 20 rounders and like both at times. My mag pouches are always full of 30 rounders, but I like the 40 rounders for dishing out a lot of stationary firepower (home defense, for instance), and love the 20 rounders when I'm carrying the rifle for long distances or when folding the stock and hiding the rifle in a bag or backpack.

Why not get some Bulgarian or Yugo 40 round mags? They're not that expensive, so you're not out much if you buy a few and don't like them.

I agree mags are like tools. You need different ones for different tasks.
Pat

Aceman
03-05-2010, 21:18
In my old age, I have became a fan of 20's. I seem to be headed the other way. You can have them.

fnfalman
03-06-2010, 16:32
Explain the issue.

You can barely shoot from the prone position with the 30-rounders, much less the 40-rounders. It gets to a point where too much is bad.

Alaskapopo
03-06-2010, 17:24
You can barely shoot from the prone position with the 30-rounders, much less the 40-rounders. It gets to a point where too much is bad.

Again it depends on what your needs are. For CQB 40 rounders are great. For prone not so good use 20's. You should have more than just one type of magazine.
Pat