WHAT, That cant be right, Can it? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : WHAT, That cant be right, Can it?

JTknives
03-05-2010, 01:16
I just picked up some 135gr Nolsers and was going through my "The Complete Reloading Manual for the 10mm" and i looked up IMR 800-x as this is a powder i use for my 180gr and live very much. well it shows

135gr NOS HP 14.5gr 800-x 1670 FPS @ 33,100 PSI.

Something seams funny with this load. if i look up loads for the 135 Nos in there book thy don't even list 800-x and there max loads don't even come close to the 1670 fps. I'm not questing the velocity with this powder as it does pack a punch but I'm a bit boggled by there stated pressure. it seams very low for the published velocity.

I am wanting a load around 1500-1600 fps that my stock glock 20 will like without rendering my cases (new starline brass) useless after one reload. I don't get much range time and when i do i have to pay as its a 45min drive to a place where i can shoot out side. so i like to go to the range with a hundred or more rounds to play with. but it sucks when you fire a few of them and realize o crap I'm way over pressure (which has happened). Thanks my friends

SimonovsDog
03-05-2010, 09:19
That's IMR's "Max" load for that bullet/powder combination. Use with caution.

JTknives
03-05-2010, 18:36
I'm going to be getting a threaded lone wolf barrel for it so i don't blow out my brass. a load like this should work great with there threaded comp.

B__
03-05-2010, 22:18
I have read from many sources that 13.5 gives nearly 1700FPS from a 5" barrel. The older published data seems to say you need 14.5 for that velocity. What little chrony data I have of my own seems to say that 13.5 is a hell of a lot of juice. 1650+ from a G20.

Taterhead
03-05-2010, 22:42
14.3 grains of 800X behind the NOS 135 gr JHP yields and average velocity of 1690 fps from my G20. There are pretty high velocity spreads with a standard primer, and the max of a 10 shot string was 1744 fps :wow:. I had similar reservations as the OP, so I worked this one up reeeeeaaaaallllllllyyyyyyy slowly. This is clearly hot. 14.3 grains yielded the exact same average velocity as 14.5 gr so diminishing returns are probably in play.

I have mentioned the following in other posts, but I thought it would be worth mentioning again. I spoke to a tech at Hodgdon about this recipe (Hodgdon distributes IMR). They had been retesting the older IMR recipes and this 800X/135gr combo is no longer published. He seemed a bit uneasy about 14.5 grains being safe. He certainly wouldn't vouch for it based upon the 155 gr XTP data that they had tested.

I am not going to run any that hot any longer. Plus, I don't think you gain any advantage with that projectile at that velocity. It is really fraggy. This was my carry load for a while but I have that projectile has lost favor with me. I carry heavier projectiles now.

It is a pretty fun "novelty" to shoot though. Gets a lot of attention. Probably the all-time "barkiest" load I've shot. It actually shoot pretty nicely. It has a crisp snap, that I would not characterize as heavy.

JTknives
03-05-2010, 23:56
So with an after market barrel would 13gr starting load be ok. the barrel would be LWD threaded 5.30" with a comp :D

B__
03-06-2010, 13:29
Why not start at 12.5 or even 12? No reason to rush load development.

Taterhead
03-06-2010, 22:12
I like the idea of starting low like 12.0. I don't have my notes in front of me, but I started @ 12, if not less. It makes no difference to me what type of barrel I use - aftermarket or otherwise. Caution should always be in order.

preventec47
06-07-2010, 10:11
The poster stated and I agree that there is not much sense in shooting the Nosler 135gr HP at those speeds as it would likely spatter on first contact, but there is another option that might make sense and that is the 135 gr solid bullets. In particular XTREME has a 135 solid that has as described by them a soft lead core. Well I think it should still be a lot tougher than a hollow point but might be soft enough to deform a little at the high velocities.

There may be some 135gr solids from other mfgrs but I cant think of
any off top of my head right now. I sure think it would be worth
at least a wet newspaper test just to see.