Rifle for my wife [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Rifle for my wife

pmcjury
03-05-2010, 06:51
So I am looking for a rifle for my wife's birthday. I m thinking something in .22 to start her out on, although this is not set in stone. This will be her first rifle, although she has shot some of mine once or twice.

The only restriction she has, is she wants it to be pink. I found a mossberg 702 for 200$, is this a good price and a decent rifle.

Thanks for your input, I am excited that my wife wants to start shooting, so i want to make sure I get her something decent, without spending a fortune

FLIPPER 348
03-05-2010, 07:03
buy a used 10/22 and paint the stock pink

pmcjury
03-05-2010, 07:16
I thought about a 10/22, but figured I would look for something different because I already have a 10/22 she could shoot if she wants to

droberts
03-12-2010, 21:40
What about the .577 T-rex ?

rscottk90
03-13-2010, 09:22
I think she would love the t-rex.....
but seriously, get her a savage mark 2, cheap, accutrigger, extremely accurate. Its bolt action but if shes learning to shoot its better to learn on a bolt so she will learn to take her time with each shot.

Great gun, just bought one and LOVE it.

hedrok
03-14-2010, 13:41
The bolt action has MANY advantages for a beginner of any age...the first being safety. I would probably lean toward a mag fed bolt gun, because she will probably out grow the Single Shot routine fairly quickly. I also believe ANY beginner starts with 1 rd. at a time. It gives time for thought and discussion and relieves the pressure on both student and instructor of a loaded weapon that may or may not have a rd. in the chamber. No insult to anyone is meant...it's just maintaining complete safety control thru what can be a bit unexpectedly challenging at times.
Mossbergs are another good choice...but they're not pink. They also come in shorter LOP sizes than many others which means that you can get a rifle that fits...then, if she likes it, paint it later. If she doesn't, it's still marketable. Most beginners also are more successful with a rear peep sight than V sights.
All of this comes from having several grandkids in the CMPs Jr. Rifle program. I can take no personal credit for it...but it all works well.

I was thinking of the older Mossys. Forgot about the 702.

Jeepnik
03-15-2010, 17:43
Too bad she's insisting on a pink stock. The Browning .22 Auto is one of the slickest and most graceful of all .22's. I've used mine to start several shooters, including a few women out shooting. Several have gone on and bought their own.

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/images/021001m.jpg

GSSF17
03-15-2010, 18:03
I got my wife a Henry Lever action 22. 250 bucks at Budsgunshop.com and what a wonderful rifle. She loves the lever action and "classic" style of the Henry, and isn't really the "pink" type when it comes to firearms. I put a set of see through mounts on it with a BSA scope. She thinks it's great, and it is a very light, easy to shoot rifle-- and AMAZINGLY accurate.

unit1069
03-17-2010, 17:30
Too bad she's insisting on a pink stock. The Browning .22 Auto is one of the slickest and most graceful of all .22's. I've used mine to start several shooters, including a few women out shooting. Several have gone on and bought their own.

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/images/021001m.jpg

When I was a very young man I bought a Browning .22lr rifle for $90 brand new. I traveled constantly so I sold it for what I paid for it.

I had been worried about keeping it after my Belgian Browning Hi-Power ($104 NIB) had been stolen in a burglary at my mom's house where I had stored it due to my travels.

Needless to say, I'm sick to this day at having lost that Hi Power and not exactly pleased with myself for having sold the rifle.

Jeepnik
03-17-2010, 21:28
When I was a very young man I bought a Browning .22lr rifle for $90 brand new. I traveled constantly so I sold it for what I paid for it.

I had been worried about keeping it after my Belgian Browning Hi-Power ($104 NIB) had been stolen in a burglary at my mom's house where I had stored it due to my travels.

Needless to say, I'm sick to this day at having lost that Hi Power and not exactly pleased with myself for having sold the rifle.

Grade ! has an MSRP of only $620. Not bad at all for such a good quality firearm. They now catalog one that is stainless, with a synthetic stock, and an octagonal barrel. List for a bit over $900. I think I have found this years Christmas present.:supergrin:

Clem Eastwood
03-18-2010, 12:10
savage FV and a decent scope if you dont want to spend a bunch of money. if you want something nicer buy a new CZ 455.