Active shooter tactics? I have a question? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Active shooter tactics? I have a question?

mixflip
03-05-2010, 22:26
Ok I have some basic active shooter training. A week of CQB, active shooter and building search techniques a few years ago back in the police academy. Not enough by anyones standards in my opinion but there is no money for this training.

The reccession has killed our training budget so the dept will not aprove any additional training other than basic firearms qualifications and other skills deemed oporationally essential. So active shooter training is ZERO now. This is ironic since active shooter crimes have been on the rise just in the last few years. Reccession/active shooters? Is there a connection you think?

I cant tell you exactly what I do but today we were talking about the pentagon shooting yesterday and the federal building shooting in Vegas and an interesting topic came up.

Is there a universally accepted technique for responding uniformed officers to clearly identify plain clothesed officers that often work in these offices.

Where I work there are at least 3 different plain clothed armed LE divisions that would respond. I cant imagine how easy it would be to confuse a plain clothesed cop with the active shooter (or shooters)?

One officer mentioned a bright yellow bandoleer or thick ID necklace? I dont know if it should be worn at all times while in the building or just always accessable somewhere in a pocket or in a desk or locker?

How do you guys address this issue in your neck of the woods?

Sam Spade
03-06-2010, 00:47
Is there a universally accepted technique for responding uniformed officers to clearly identify plain clothesed officers that often work in these offices.

Operative word in your question being "universally"....No.

How do you guys address this issue in your neck of the woods?
I have no intention of discussing this on this forum. I hope you understand.

mixflip
03-06-2010, 01:50
Yeah I get it . I was thinking the same thing as I typed. Bad guys hang out on the internet just like anybody else.

Gallium
03-06-2010, 06:22
Operative word in your question being "universally"....No.

I have no intention of discussing this on this forum. I hope you understand.

I had the same exact thing typed up with 200 more words last night, and felt it was not my place to caution or admonish our LE members on discussing things of such a sensitive nature...and I cited the actions of the Pentagon shooter as an example.

But then I deleted it. :embarassed:

Yeah mix, I am not a cop, but what Spade said were my exact sentiments.

'Drew

CAcop
03-06-2010, 17:16
No universal reponse to active shooters.

Whatever you do to keep yourselves from being shot make sure everybody is on the same page. We pretty much told our plainclothes people to stay the hell away from hot scenes unless they are clearly marked.

From what I have seen on the net are raid jackets (US), armbands (French), tape on pistols (Israel), and the NYPD has the "color of the day."

PEC-Memphis
03-08-2010, 20:58
There is a sign in the hallway of the Memphis Police Academy reminding off-duty, and plain-clothes, officers to stay out of a crime-in-progress unless it is absolutely, positively, unavoidable.

Gallium
03-09-2010, 04:44
There is a sign in the hallway of the Memphis Police Academy reminding off-duty, and plain-clothes, officers to stay out of a crime-in-progress unless it is absolutely, positively, unavoidable.

There is an agency around here that has something similar...but it's adjacent to their "in remembrance" wall. :sad:

'Drew

Jim S.
03-12-2010, 15:26
If it were me I would have my badge held high and I would be yelling "Police Officer".
I would also be very willing to put my gun down if it were not holstered already.

18thabncorps
03-17-2010, 07:38
Unless its a matter of life and death...stay the hell out of the way; you are likely to become a bullet magnet from both sides.

fastbolt
03-17-2010, 13:38
Working with allied agencies toward local solutions might be helpful.

W4CNG
03-17-2010, 22:09
If out in Public where I CCW, unless fired on I will not go to Open Carry and Shoot back. I will seek cover and wait for the Shooter to come to me. When all is clear I will report to those that come to take care of the issue.