Impatient and need info on Tac lights from LEO's [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Impatient and need info on Tac lights from LEO's

BIGGUNS911
03-06-2010, 09:47
OK, I am very impatient and do not have the 30+ posts to post this on the COP section. I am an LEO and want some info on the use of tactical lights mounted on handguns. I am attempting to convince my boss to allow my fellow LEO's to purchase there own and be able to carry them. Every time I bring it up he cuts me off before I can give more info :steamed::faint:. I decided to write down all the info I could find on the subject and send it up to him. I hope he will then open his mind and read it over:embarassed:.

What I am looking from from LEO's or none LEO's that have good info is.
What are to pro's and con's
Do you use a tac light
Are they issue or individual purchase
Do you have written policy
Any ideas on convincing the boss on this idea.

Any help would be great, Thanks Bigguns911:supergrin:

snoczp
03-06-2010, 16:04
Not a LEO, but you can start your list with these maybe.

How much is a life worth - $100 (TLR-1), $200/300 (Surefire)?

Do you only plan to patrol in daylight?

Does he allow carrying handheld (flashlights), and why would a gun mounted light be that much different?

Holsters are available for many guns with lights attached?

Can the force buy/supply their own?

cowboywannabe
03-06-2010, 16:08
your "boss" sounds like a class A moron suited to run most modern police departments.

tact lights paid for by the officers cost the city nothing and are benficial when deployed.

does this metal midget(sp?) not want you to see what your gun is pointing at?

EKUJustice
03-06-2010, 16:11
If you go with a light you definately want to get the holster that is made for the gun with the light attached. I have seen the light carried on the belt and snapped on when needed but the problem is what to do with the gun now that the light is on if the holster isnt made for the gun and light combo. Where for a house gun it wouldnt be a problem as if your using your gun, your not holstering up for the bump in the night at 3am. In your case there is a very good chance you would be holstering the gun to apply cuffs etc. That isnt the time to be messing with the gun to get the light off.

RayB
03-06-2010, 18:14
A while back, we had one of our municipal cops suspended for flashing another cop with a weapon-mounted light...

Me, I'm a big fan of weapon-mounted lights; but they do require special techniques to use safely and effectively.

In our situation, if there's a bump in the night, and the wife's beside me, and the dog's accounted for, I really don't discriminate about what I point my gun's muzzle at--man or best, it doesn't belong here!

A cop has to be more careful...

Any of the high-end weapon lights will light an entire room if you skip the beam off the ceiling, assuming it's an ordinary white ceiling. A warehouse may be another matter!

You'll still need a hand-held, primary flashlight.

As for the mechanical aspects, you'd want an LED-based illuminator, as LEDs (Light Emitting Diodes) are about 40% efficient at turning electricity into light (vs. a light bulb's, maybe 7% efficiency), so they produce more light with less power, greatly extending battery life and run times. LEDs are also nearly impervious to shock, so they're well suited for use as weapon-mounted illuminators.

Of the LED-based weapon lights currently available, I'd recommend them as follows:

1) SureFire X300
2) Insight WX150
3) TLR-1 C4

All of the above are great products and provide impressive performance. The SureFire X300 offers the highest overall quality and has the best switch options.

The Insight WX150 (and the prior XTI Procyon) give the SureFire a real run for its money performance-wise, at $100.00 less. The also offer a pulsing strobe function to disorientate a subject.

The Streamlight TLR-1 C4 offers real bang for the buck, and very good performance, but it is less hardened for field use than the other two weapon lights.

The SureFire and the Insight slip-on and lock onto your gun's accessory rail.

The Streamlight TLR-1 slips-on, then clamps onto your gun's accessory rail by use of a set screw. The set screw can be tightened with a coin. This is either a plus or minus, depending on which shooter you talk to.

As for tactics, a weapon-mounted light allows you a free hand, if necessary, to open doors, grab your cuffs, grab your pepper spray, talk on your radio or cell phone, or if you're Dirty Harry, finish your hotdog! :supergrin:

You should be aware that there have been some operational issues regarding weapon-mounted lights on the .40 S&W caliber Glocks. These have involved chronic fail-to-feed issues in the G22. :shocked:

I hate to even ask, but how does your boss feel about lasers? :dunno:

One last thing, and I offer this with benevolence: While a cop might not be ponderous (that might get them killed,) impatience is not a trait I'd prize in a police officer either. :whistling:

Be careful out there! :wavey:

--Ray

BIGGUNS911
03-06-2010, 21:17
I hate to even ask, but how does your boss feel about lasers? :dunno:

One last thing, and I offer this with benevolence: While a cop might not be ponderous (that might get them killed,) impatience is not a trait I'd prize in a police officer either. :whistling:

Be careful out there! :wavey:

--Ray[/quote]

Ray, thanks for all the great info, as for the laser thing I do not think he would like that at all. I for that matter do not like them that much, some applications they are great. The main issue I have with them is some officer's have plenty on their hands with out having to take care of keeping the laser sighted in. I have also heard a lot of officer's that use them shoot wears with them. Don't get me wrong they do have their applications. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
As the impatience issue, I have been attempting to get the post numbers I need to write on the cop page. I have a lot on my plate on being on the forum is a small part of them. I work hard to have patience in my life and job, if I did not would I work this hard to get info to help myself and others get a tool to help them be safer. Look I am not taking this statement to heart but I suggest you think about the statement before you judge me.<?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:shapetype id=_x0000_t75 stroked="f" filled="f" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600"> <v:stroke joinstyle="miter"></v:stroke><v:formulas><v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"></v:f></v:formulas><v:path o:connecttype="rect" gradientshapeok="t" o:extrusionok="f"></v:path><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:shapetype><v:shape id=_x0000_i1025 style="WIDTH: 14.25pt; HEIGHT: 14.25pt" alt="0" type="#_x0000_t75"><v:imagedata o:href="http://glocktalk.com/forums/images/smilies/Wow.gif" src="file:///C:/DOCUME~1/Owner/LOCALS~1/Temp/msoclip1/01/clip_image001.gif"></v:imagedata></v:shape><o:p></o:p>
And hey that all you others for you help. I will keep looking for info and moving on. Just a note, my boss is not a bad guy, he is just old school. Like they say it is hard to teach an old dog new tricks. <o:p></o:p>
Thanks again, Big:wavey:

RayB
03-06-2010, 21:38
1) Ray, thanks for all the great info...

2) As the impatience issue... I have a lot on my plate on being on the forum is a small part of them. I work hard to have patience in my life and job, if I did not would I work this hard to get info to help myself and others get a tool to help them be safer. Look I am not taking this statement to heart but I suggest you think about the statement before you judge me.

1) Always happy to help! ;)

2) Taken for all they are, cops are only people too. I'd just hate to see you get hurt, or worse. :shocked:

--Ray

BIGGUNS911
03-06-2010, 22:46
1) Always happy to help! ;)

2) Taken for all they are, cops are only people too. I'd just hate to see you get hurt, or worse. :shocked:

--Ray

Ray, it's all good, I think you are getting the incorrect feel for me. But hey this is only a gun forum and you can only get so much info on some one. Thanks again and you also be safe.:embarassed: