Spingfield Question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Spingfield Question

Jim S.
03-06-2010, 12:26
I was at my favorite gun shop today and they had a used S.A. model 1911.
Parkerized with the white lettering and logo on the slide and a S.S. barrel.
Is this an early version of the Mil-Spec that they sell these days?
Since I know the guys pretty well they let me field strip it and take a look inside. If it has 100 rounds through it I would bet that would be about it by the barrel hood, front of the barrel and the breachface.
I questioned why someone would trade in such a nice "unused" condition gun. They could see the wheels turning and told me to go in the range and shoot a box through her.
It shot very good. Nothing wrong with this gun. I can get it for $550.00 out the door.
I was wondering if that was a good deal or should I simply spend a little more and get the Mil-Spec?
He said he would hold it for me until next week. What do you guys think?

Bill Lumberg
03-06-2010, 14:06
No way of knowing without knowing more about the gun. It's hard to move "up" to a milspec unless you think it's a G.I.. Need to know the model.

hatidua
03-06-2010, 16:07
vertical rear slide serrations, no front serrations - GI
slanted rear slide serrations, no front serrantions - Mil-Spec
both front and rear slide serrations - could be most anything.

If it has an NM-prefixed serial number -grab it in either case.

Annoyedgrunt
03-06-2010, 18:12
That sounds expensive for a "used" Springfield- hell, I got my new Mil-Spec for less than that! Now, if you could get it for $400-450, that would be a different story.

Patrick R
03-06-2010, 22:49
If it has :

"If it has an NM-prefixed serial number -grab it in either case. "

It's an older US built Mil spec gun. Better built etc.

I have one I bought 20 years ago.

hikerpaddler
03-07-2010, 05:22
+1 on the slide serrations. While the non-NM models tend to perform just as well, there's a slightly higher demand for NM models simply because more of the gun was made physically in the US. Let us know what you find out.

remat
03-07-2010, 13:41
The 90's Edition 1911A1's preceded the GI and MilSpec models. It has angled rear cocking serrations and the SAI rollmark and round logo on the right side of the slide just behind the ejection port (which is not lowered or flared). They have NM SN's which means that the forgings were finished in the US and pistol built here also. I would pay $550 otd for another one.

bac1023
03-07-2010, 16:35
Is the ejection port lowered? :dunno:

Jim S.
03-07-2010, 20:22
I'll look at it sometime this week. I will remember to look at the serial number and anything else I can see on it.
These guys are pretty good to deal with. They don't jack up their prices and they are always fair to me. Must be a reason why it is $550.00 out the door. They know what guns are worth and usually have what I consider good prices.
Thanks for the help. I'll report back when I get back to the shop.
Darn work just gets in the way of everything I want to do. :)

ambluemax
03-09-2010, 08:04
the white lettering could just be crayola crayon

Jim S.
03-15-2010, 16:28
Ok guys, here is the story on this gun.
It turns out to be a Mil-Spec that was made in June of 2007. The person at Springfield customer service says that they never made one with white letters.
I went back to the gun shop and told the guys what I found out and told them that I could get a brand new one for less than $600.00. (parkerized)
Also mentioned that someone painted the white letters in even though it looks like it was very well done. (fooled me)
The owner of the shop was in and overheard our conversation and asked me what I would give him for it.
I told him $450.00 out the door would make me happy. I didn't think he would go for that but he did. Even threw in a free range visit and a box of FMJ (50).
I think I got a good deal on this as the gun is barely used and other than the white paint that I will be removing it is perfect.
It has the ILS which I may or may not replace but it doesn't look like a titanium firing pin.
Anyone know when they started using the .38 Spl. firing pin to satisfy California requirements?
Anyway, thanks for the responses and what do you think? Good deal?

Road Dog
03-15-2010, 18:38
I think you got a good deal. The ammo just sweetens the deal.

RD

sawgrass
03-16-2010, 03:17
Congrats! Enjoy your new gun. $450. +ammo sounds good to me.
Sawgrass

Jim S.
03-17-2010, 18:57
I took the white paint off of the letters on the slide. Whoever did the job really made it look like it came that way. I didn't care for white letters on a parkerized gun. Kind of looked out of place.
I used laquere thinner on a Q-tip and scrubbed it off with that nylon brush that I always thought I would never use. Didn't want to mar the parkerizing while the solvent was on it. I know it's pretty tough stuff but so is laquere thinner.
It worked great and a little oil afterwards and you would never know that it had white letters.
I think the S.A. Mil-Spec is a nice basic 1911.

Brian Brazier
03-18-2010, 00:28
Sweet Deal, but :needspics:

CanIhaveGasCash
03-18-2010, 00:50
I took the white paint off of the letters on the slide. Whoever did the job really made it look like it came that way. I didn't care for white letters on a parkerized gun. Kind of looked out of place.
I used laquere thinner on a Q-tip and scrubbed it off with that nylon brush that I always thought I would never use. Didn't want to mar the parkerizing while the solvent was on it. I know it's pretty tough stuff but so is laquere thinner.
It worked great and a little oil afterwards and you would never know that it had white letters.
I think the S.A. Mil-Spec is a nice basic 1911.

I use my nylon brush for just about everything. My brass brush looks brand new.