Kahr P9 ammo tests [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Kahr P9 ammo tests

Blkbrd
03-06-2010, 17:57
I have been really impressed with my Kahr P9. Its now at 600 rounds without a single malfunction.

Wanted to try a good selection of carry ammo, I like the feel of the 147's but it likes everything including +P+.

Note: Groups are done resting elbows on range bag, gun in free recoil 20 yards 2 random 5 shot groups. Groups all to the left and low as no sight adjustment has been done due to a trijicon/dawson set is on the way.

cziv
03-06-2010, 21:10
It's odd that you're not the first poster who's PM9 shoots low left??

Check out this thread http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1181443

EDIT: I feel stupid because you're shooting a P9

Blkbrd
03-06-2010, 22:06
I have read that about many Kahr's.

Thought there would be more difference in group elevation center between loads as its a little gun, but everything from 115gr. white box to my sweet 147gr. Production loads to beastly +P+ centered within a couple of inches low and left.

The left is an easy fix, the low not so much so as there is a shortage of sights for Kahrs. Taking a mill to a front sight with a tritium capsule should be fun?

Heinie wont even sell a rear slant pro without tritium insert or just a serrated front tritium sight alone?

Cant stand dots, bars, ext. on my rear sights.

ajgranda
03-07-2010, 06:40
Are we speaking of the P9 or PM9? THX

Denied
03-07-2010, 09:57
Low left can be two thing, first sight alignment but usually, and I had the problem, anticipation of the gun going off. With the long trigger pull of a Kahr and/or Glock it would not be unusual. I would suggest putting the butt of the pistol on a sand bag and if possible sand bags on both sides, then use trigger fingers on both hands at same time (one over the other) concentrate on trigger pull. Shoot several 3 shot groups at no longer than 21 feet, this will make sure the problem in in sight alignment and not trigger pull.

Blkbrd
03-07-2010, 11:58
Low left can be two thing, first sight alignment but usually, and I had the problem, anticipation of the gun going off. With the long trigger pull of a Kahr and/or Glock it would not be unusual. I would suggest putting the butt of the pistol on a sand bag and if possible sand bags on both sides, then use trigger fingers on both hands at same time (one over the other) concentrate on trigger pull. Shoot several 3 shot groups at no longer than 21 feet, this will make sure the problem in in sight alignment and not trigger pull.

This is not an advice tread on how to shoot, its a visual demonstration of where the different premium loads impact vs. each other.

1. Master class shooter in IPSC, IDPA, NRA, GSSF.

2. If you put the gun on a sandbag it gives you a slightly different impact point than free recoil, and not a true representation of impact like when you might actually have to use it.

3. 3 shot groups don't tell you true potential, and my dog can shoot a small group at 21 feet, pistols should be sighted in for the longest anticipated shot not the closest.

P9 not PM, not a true pocket gun but one that carries and shoots like a real handgun not a pocket pistol. Just a whole lot thinner than a baby Glock.

bean66
03-07-2010, 21:20
My groups from my PM9 were much like the fith (or last) picture in your series.

I'm a new shooter and think that I may have been either anticipating or overgripping.

cziv
03-07-2010, 23:41
With all due respect, this does seem like a shooting (gunsights/bbl/??) problem since your groupings of the various ammos are basically yeilding the same results.

I hope those new sights work out for you Blkbrd

khellandros66
03-08-2010, 15:51
I am gonna go with recoil anticipation, or tightening of the grip during trigger pull.

I had a P9, and at 15yrds I would pump out 2-4in groups CoM in B27 targets. It takes a while before the owner really grows into a gun, 600 rounds is not a lot of time with it. Wait till you got a few thousand through it, then redo this test.

Personally I loved Winchester Silvertips in my P9...

ltxi
03-28-2010, 18:29
Low left is a shooter fire control issue...not the gun. Kahr triggers need to be approached like slick da revolvers.