Hotel Situation [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Hotel Situation

SafetyGuy83
03-06-2010, 19:04
So here is the situation. I am working outside of San Antonio, Texas working night shift right now. I recently had to move out of the house I am renting for the weekend so they could make some repairs. So Friday mornign I check into a local hotel. The neighborhood looks ok but I am not from here and really don't know. It is Friday morning about 8am and I am sleeping in the bed when someone knocks on the door softly and then opens it. I had that little latched that swings over the knob locked but it still allowed the door to open a few inches. I yell out and a MALE voice says, "Sorry, I didn't know you were in here". He closes the door and leaves. I go back to sleep thinking it was maintenance guy or something that didn't realize I had checked in that early.
11am rolls around and again the door opens. This time no knock and I see a hand come through the door and start trying to work the lock open allowing the door to come completely open. Upon seeing this I jumped out of bed grabbed the USP and pushed the door shut on the mans wrist. He started screaming and fighting to get loose. I let the door come open and he took off. I reported this to the hotel, however they did not call the police.

Does anyone have any tactics or tips for staying in a hotel safely? I stay in them quite often and this is not the first time I have been gun in hand addressing a threat at the door.

ctaggart
03-06-2010, 20:08
I sleep with a pillow under my gun when in the hotels.

http://www.corporatetravelsafety.com/swege.html

http://www.amazon.com/Master-Lock-265DCCSEN-Dual-Function-Security/dp/B0002YUX8I

Glock30 Guy
03-06-2010, 20:28
I used to travel a lot internationally for work. I also had similar issues. I had a small collapsible bar that wedged into the floor and then against the door knob. I paid about $75 for it out of a travel magazine. It was just small enough to fit into a suitcase. I also carried a door sensor that was a loud siren if the door opened.

SafetyGuy83
03-06-2010, 21:05
I will have to look into purchasing something like that. I think I may need to move hotels though. After talking to a friend it has become clear that it was and attempted inside job and whoever this guy was he had a maid key that allowed him to unlock the door. I will be filing a complaint with the corporate office about the way the situation was handled by the hotel staff. I don't think they grasped the gravity of the situation.

They may have realized the gravity had the situation escalated and this mystery man ended up with a chest full of .40.

swotivated
03-06-2010, 23:18
Definitely switch hotels. Consider filing a police report.

Gallium
03-07-2010, 05:03
My entire posse was once cleaned out when we were in France, years ago by the hotel staff. They went to some club, and all assembled in the lobby getting cabs before they left. I was the only one who stayed behind.

That night I was in my room, and the same thing that happened to you happened to me. I was 1/2 asleep, the person attempted to enter - I thought it was a member of my party (we often shared keys because we kept our equipment spread out in all the rooms instead of storing it with the hotels).

Next morning when folks came back from clubbing, two US passports - gone. One wedding ring :rofl: gone (she had a heck of a time 'splaining to her husband), tons of jewelry, laptops, etc - all gone, and the police did squat about it.

If you have a small car safe with a heavy duty lock, secure it to a water pipe, drain or hvac in the room while you are away, get a room on the 2nd floor as far away from the elevators/ice machine as possible, and make vocal and repeated complaints to the MANAGER of the joint.

'Drew

Glock-it-to-me
03-07-2010, 05:22
I sleep with a pillow under my gun when in the hotels.

http://www.corporatetravelsafety.com/swege.html

http://www.amazon.com/Master-Lock-265DCCSEN-Dual-Function-Security/dp/B0002YUX8I

I find it more comfortable with the weapon under the pillow.

PirateLookingAtForty
03-07-2010, 14:38
First, stay in better hotels.

Second, call the police yourself. Screw the hotel.

Third, simple rubber door wedges will prevent this while you're in the room. I carry two sizes, and have yet to find a hotel door that one or the other won't fit. Two or three dollars each.

ctaggart
03-07-2010, 22:14
I find it more comfortable with the weapon under the pillow.

My weapons are so manly that they don't fit under my pillow. I've adjusted.

6F0 Nick
03-08-2010, 10:23
My weapons are so manly that they don't fit under my pillow. I've adjusted.
I sleep in the closet, weapon in hand, one eye open.:supergrin:

badlands99
03-08-2010, 15:41
I travel a good bit too, and sometimes stay in hotels that are not in such nice areas. I also have a lot of expensive gear with me when I do, so I'm always on yellow alert, it seems. Here's something else I found that you should know about that is more of a concern for theft than for self defense, but still worth keeping in mind...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAkJRpKeyYg&feature (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAkJRpKeyYg&feature)

BigKid
03-08-2010, 17:05
Your door didn't have a dead bolt to accompany the latch? Or are these people using magnetic cards programmed to your door?

mitchshrader
03-08-2010, 18:13
Good many hotels now have interior room entrances, magnetic key codes, and cameras in the hallways.

There's a reason for that, and you pay for it whether your hotel does or doesn't.

If it doesn't have good security, it'll get the thieves the secure hotels frighten off. You're better off being THERE, even if it's another 20-30$ a night.

ijacek
03-08-2010, 19:16
I sleep in the closet, weapon in hand, one eye open.:supergrin:

You are my hero, man!:bowdown:

SafetyGuy83
03-08-2010, 19:51
Yeah I usually stay in nicer hotels but I travel for work and generally work off of per diem. Sometimes its decent sometimes its barely enough to get a hotel. In this particular instance I rented a house by the month. I learned a long time ago this is the cheapest, safest and most confortable way to do it. Unfortunately, I had to move out for the weekend and just needed a cheap hotel for a night or two. Lesson learned.

No outside entrances
Get a wedge
Always lock the door with all available devices
Don't be cheap
And of course Always sleep in the closet, gun in hand and one eye open:50cal:

CJCinTN
03-08-2010, 21:10
No outside entrances
Get a wedge
Always lock the door with all available devices
Don't be cheap
And of course Always sleep in the closet, gun in hand and one eye open:50cal:

As I have to stay in hotels for my job, I had not thought of the wedges. But I will now.

I always use all the locks, keep my gun on the nightstand beside my flashlight, glasses, and cell phone.

Glad everything worked out alright for you.

PhoneCop
03-08-2010, 22:58
You should have shouldered the door as hard as you could. Tell the police to look for the guy missing a hand, or they could fingerprint the one in the refrigerator... :supergrin:

Make sure you sleep naked and tell the hand's owner, "I am ripper, tearer, slasher! I am the teeth in the darkness! Mine is strength and lust, and power! I am (insert name here)!"

PhoneCop
03-08-2010, 23:07
OH! Pin the hand then cut it with your tactical folder, or mabe break a finger. Tell him you hope he's learned his lesson.

SafetyGuy83
03-08-2010, 23:51
You should have shouldered the door as hard as you could. Tell the police to look for the guy missing a hand, or they could fingerprint the one in the refrigerator... :supergrin:

Make sure you sleep naked and tell the hand's owner, "I am ripper, tearer, slasher! I am the teeth in the darkness! Mine is strength and lust, and power! I am (insert name here)!"

OH! Pin the hand then cut it with your tactical folder, or mabe break a finger. Tell him you hope he's learned his lesson.

I do sleep in my birthday suit so had he actually gotten in he may have found himself being tackled by a big naked man! I think the awkwardness of the situation (think borat) combined with the inadequacey he would feel afterward would have been punishment enough:tongueout:

In all seriousness though it happened very quickly. I am guessing from the time his hand came in the door til I had released his hand and he took off could not have been more than 15 seconds. If I would have had time to think a broken finger may have been in order. Or at least a good line. Something like "This is my cookie jar! Keep your hands out of it!" Ok well I had time to think about that one and still couldn't come up with anything good...

MacG22
03-11-2010, 18:53
This site, "corporate travel safety" has some good info. Poke around and you'll find a link to a little video that shows how easy it is to break into a room...even at a luxury hotel.

http://www.kevincoffey.com/hotel/hotel_safety.htm

I got a swedge from these guys and use it whenever I travel (at least a week a month and usually in good hotels). I pulled the battery out because I don't want the alarm, but the wedge itself is about the best I've found.