advice on focusing on target with irons [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : advice on focusing on target with irons

scottd907
03-07-2010, 01:21
I dont know if im just not focusing right or if i have a focus problem with my eyes. I just switched from using a scope to using iron sights. I never had a problem focusing on my crosshairs and the target, whether it be at 100yards or 500yards. But with the irons im having to focus either on the target causing my sights to be blurry or my sights with the target being blurry. Is this normal or have the luxury of the scope got the best of me? Or do my eyes not work properly?
When i was younger i was told i had a focusing problem. No surgery, but they did give me a eye cover and book of exercises to fix the problem. Which seemed to work, or maybe it was never fixed and i just never noticed it. Any help to this problem would be much appreciated.
Iv had this same problem with shooting handguns also. Id have to either focus on the sights leaving the target blurry or vice-versa.

Scott

Gallium
03-07-2010, 05:58
I'll assume you're talking handguns here.

Sharp sights/blurry target is correct for handgun shooting with iron sights . With a scope, both the cross-hairs and target are sharp - long guns or handguns.

'Drew

scottd907
03-07-2010, 10:47
I'll assume you're talking handguns here.

Sharp sights/blurry target is correct for handgun shooting with iron sights . With a scope, both the cross-hairs and target are sharp - long guns or handguns.

'Drew

No I'm talking about my irons on my AR15. So the sight radius is a bit different then that of a handgun.

Thank you for your info Drew, I was worried my eye were going bad at the young age of 27. But iv notice it doesn't matter if it's the handgun or ar, both are the samll. Thanks again,

Scott

Gallium
03-07-2010, 11:07
No I'm talking about my irons on my AR15. So the sight radius is a bit different then that of a handgun.

Thank you for your info Drew, I was worried my eye were going bad at the young age of 27. But iv notice it doesn't matter if it's the handgun or ar, both are the samll. Thanks again,

Scott

:embarassed:

You probably have exception eyesight to begin with (20/20 in one eye and [example only] 20/12 or 20/15 in the other)...

You should be fine.

'Drew

1985 4Runner
03-07-2010, 11:10
Your eye should be focused on the front sight post, causing the target to be a bit out of focus.

Gallium
03-07-2010, 11:13
Your eye should be focused on the front sight post, causing the target to be a bit out of focus.

Yes, I should have been "more clearer" in my initial response. :) For any handgun/long gun shooting using non magnification sights, front sight sharp, everything else somewhat blurry...

'Drew

scottd907
03-07-2010, 19:37
thank you for your time and info for those who posted. Ill focus more on the front sight next time im out, see if i can improve my shooting with irons.